Notices

Anyone get on an Anti Depressant after quiting

Old 04-21-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone get on an Anti Depressant after quiting

and if you did? Did it help? I am thinking of getting on an AD but not sure if I want to or not. I did try a bunch of different ones before but I was drinking on them so they probably didn't work. If they did, I couldn't tell.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had anxiety and depression when I was drinking.

The symptoms were still there when i got sober and only seemed worse because I had no alcohol to numb my feelings.

My doc tried to prescribe pills but I refused.

I trusted my own instincts and judgement and I listened to the advise of my friends in AA.

I was much too early in recovery to risk taking that kind of medication.

Talk to your doctor. Together you can both work out what is best for you.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

many people here and in life take antidepressants after alcoholism--they do not work if you drink on them, you are right--i take prozac and depokate for ocd primarily--im sure it lifts my mood too--imho, there is no shame in taking them--they are not narcotic or addictive meds--no worrys about that--take care
just my two cents
laura
Old 04-21-2006, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So are antidepressants helping you?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtolive
and if you did? Did it help? I am thinking of getting on an AD but not sure if I want to or not. I did try a bunch of different ones before but I was drinking on them so they probably didn't work. If they did, I couldn't tell.

i have taken medication Ad's for 13 years......all through my drinking...but also in the last 5 years whilsts not drinking...

this last 6 months has been the WORST i have EVER felt in sobriety, i had tried to 'taper' off them because some wise crak in AA suggested that i did so...but to my peril i was totally suicidal at Christmas.....i have been put back on a higerh dosage again now and slowly i feel like im straightening out...

if you are DEPRESSED I urge you to seek help from your GP....it may take time to get the meds right as it is me right now...there will always be good and bad days....but getting treatment for depression is a must...in my eyes....

i now realise that depression is a disease too, and like any other needs to be taken seriously and given treatment.....

i am a recoering alkie of 5 years and i take anti depressants...i will probably have to do so for the rest of my life, this isnt something that is going to go away for me...the doctor knows that too....

hoep this has been helpful....

love purrdyxx
Old 04-22-2006, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No anti depressants, but my doc gave me Librium, helped a lot, especially with the anxiety and sleeplessness issues.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a personal history of depression before I became an alcoholic as well as a family history of bi-polar and depression. I was put on a small dosage of Wellbutrin a few months ago and it has been great. I'm supposed to take 150mg twice a day but I only take it once a day and have felt good. I feel no need to take more than I need.

While drinking I was not on AD's so I don't know how that would have affected me. While drinking I just didn't care about trying to look after myself. I just wanted to pass out and forget about everything, which is exactly what I did every chance I got. Now that I am sober I want to be happy, joyous and free and so I look after my physical health as well as my mental wellbeing.

Speak with your doctor and be patient as it may take a while to find the best med and dosage. So many have sexual side effects which I find totally unacceptable or they make you feel like a zombie or you just don't give a d*mn about anything. I don't choose to live life today like that. The wellbutrin keeps my brain chemistry in line but I have NO side effects from it.

Good luck!
Kellye
Old 04-22-2006, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went on one about three months into my sobriety - they helped, but they did not cure my mental head!

They helped me, the got me out of bed in the morning - but that was all. A 'leg up' as my doctor described it.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've taken AD for almost 6 yrs. They have helped me enormously because I had depression for all my adult life and couldn't get it properly diagnosed or treated. I cut down but was not able to stop until I was on the AD's. Without them, I just didn't care about anything at all. I have a chemical imbalance and I've tried going off them twice since I started and each time, by the end of the second week, I want to stay in bed and pull the blinds. That horrible black feeling returns. I will probably continue taking them forever. They have helped me save my life.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmm some ppl get put on anti depressants for way too long and grow dependent on them. but for temporary 'leg up' they can be useful, yes. Talk to your dr about it. Don't follow anyone else's advices, decide for yourself.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
chel918

I've been on anti depressants for what seems like forever. They do help me personally. I had to go through a few different one's before I finally found the one that works for me. Wellbutrin has been my hero for the past 9 years! It has the least side effects and doesn't affect your libido, like many others do. But definitely talk to your GP, there are also websites that have short questionairres that help to determine if a particular anti depressant would be beneficial for you. Not that you should go solely by what the website says, but it may be a starting point for you.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did go onto an AD, but to be clear, I grew up in a highly abusive, violent, neglectful home and as such, the psychologist explained that as a result my brain chemistry was likely altered such that I suffered from a chronic low level state of depression that was exacerbated last summer when my estranged father shot himself. So, with that said, the anti depressant has been very helpful in restoring me to a more balanced perspective. Moreover, my moods are no longer swinging b/n highs and lows, rather I tend to be more constant and my responses to life are more "normal".

As for drinking while on an AD, no they would not have the desired effect although they would have some effect. Remember, alcohol acts as a central nervous system and brain depressant, not to mention depressing your immune system and liver functioning. To really experience the benefits from the AD you do need to be clean and sober. It is also helpful to note how you were doing / feeling b/f starting them, how you are doing / feeling three weeks later, six weeks later, 12 weeks later, and so on so that you can measure it. I did this by keeping a diary.

Hope this is helpful. LEvi
Old 04-22-2006, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

I too take Wellbutrin. I am very happy with the results.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you so much for asking this question, tryingtolive. It was something I had been considering myself -- but I haven't had an opportunity to ask yet.

I've always stuggled with depression -- only been alcoholic just the past couple of years. But now that I'm sobering up, the depression is hitting me hard again. I refuse to "drink it away" ... I've tried that before, and it just made things worse.

Thanks to all who shared -- you've helped me too

tryingtolive: I hope you get the help you need!