Notices

Is Alcoholism A Disease??

Old 04-23-2006, 06:51 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

You know, the longer I am sober , the more irrelevant the " disease " concept is to me . It certainly caused me dis ease, but weather it is one or not, i couldnt care less. All I know, is I couldn't stop drinking , period, after 1 , i was off and running, and had no stop button. NOW, I havent drunk for 2 1/2 years, after drinking with NO control for 37 years, and living with the attendant chaos.I dont CARE " what " it is , or "what its called", BUT IT works for me , and I am forever grateful

HUGX
lee
Old 04-23-2006, 09:43 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Karl

WOW! Glad I took CarolD's advice...

I am so glad I took CarolD's advice and went with the 10th tradition, it is great (I think) that there is a lively debate going here but I am grateful I did not reply to "Michael from Girdwood"s editorial about "disease or not a disease", it would not have been good to get it going in the Anchorage Daily News. Thanks again CarolD for enlightening me and Thanks to all of you on this thread for the input, man I learned a lot. (also the first thread I got started,yeah.) I much appreciate the SR site and all of you out there. Stay clean, stay sober, stay happy. karlofthenorth
Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I remember people in AA used to real off a list of all they had done in recovery:

Travelled the world
Bought up children
Went back to Uni
Done charity work
Became active in the community

And I thought now that is what grooves me. I know those things do not make a person, far from it...but by all accounts those who said it sounded proud and fullfilled that they had done it and it turned me onto the idea of getting out a living.

I dont personally think Bill W would have wanted anyone to be ultra dependant. He said once: we didnt get sober to go to meetings! I think thats one of my favourite Bill lines. It gave me a bit more guidance as to actually getting active and not just 'handing it over' every minute of every day....

....just my reflections.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Hay Karl weldone on your decieon Great quote Five and lets all have a wonderful sunnie day in Sobrity