Notices

Head Pains

Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Head Pains

Ok. I don't really know how to describe this other than pain in my head. It is different from a headache. It is almost like i can feel my brain hurting. I have had this for years on and off. Its like my brain is being poked or something, at least that is what it feels like. I don't know how to describe it any better. It is strange, and bothers me a lot. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. This has been going on for a few years now. When I am in a good mood or happy or intoxicated I don't really feel it. I don't know if it is related to alcohol or maybe it is linked with depression. I have been sober for 21 days and the head pains are still with me.

Anyone have any thoughts or know what this might be?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I can't even begin to tell you what may be causing the pain in your head. You really should see a Doctor right away. That doesn't sound right. Get to a Doctor and have them check you out. Take care...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like migraines, which is a common problem millions of Americans suffer from. Another possibility, associated with migraines, is "ice pick" headaches. Read more about that here:
http://headaches.about.com/od/otherh.../ice_picks.htm
Old 04-15-2006, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its not like it hurts. I did have an MRI done because I was wondering about it so much but that didn't show anything abnormal? UGH!! I just want to it to stop.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Do you have any neck troubles? It could be a pinched nerve or a strained muscle. I get that alot and it causes pains that shoot through my head. It used to really freak me out, but now I'm pretty used to it.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for the link fritolay (love the name by the way). I guess they could be migraines. I thought that most people with migrain headaches get sick to their stomach when having them though so migrains never even crossed my mind. They never wake me up when I am sleeping though. I don't know if they are ice pick headaches either I don't think so because the pain is not as intense as "an ice pick is being stuck into your head."

Anyone else have migrains and can describe them to me? I would love to hear what everyone thinks about this because these pains are really bugging me now that I am sober and able to notice them more.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nope. Never had any problems with my neck.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, headaches are a withdrawl symptom... but usually those would be diminished after 3 weeks.

Since you've had the headaches for years, the good news is it's likely not due to a brain tumor, a stroke, or anything acute and serious.

Do you take any medications for the pain?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How is your blood pressure? When my blood pressure is up I get lots of pains in my head, usually the top of my head. Now that I am back on a low dose blood pressure med I rarely if ever get them. Just another thought.

I hope you figure out what this is.
Kellye
Old 04-16-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im a "cluster headache" sufferer for about 7 years now,similar to migraine(vascular) but more painful and shorter in duration.Check out some sites on headaches,youll learn alot.Tension headaches are pretty common.Im 6 days sober and have had a nagging head pain for a few days now,probably the changes from no alcohol in our systems,gotta be some repairing going on in the brain,I would guess.