Notices

car and money bummer, sadface

Old 04-15-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

car and money bummer, sadface

Today my car died, and I took it to the dealership that i bought it from, and learned it will cost over $1500 to fix it. So, I decided to apply that $1500 as a down payment on a new car instead of fixing the car.

I told the car dealer upfront that I hav terrible credit and that $1500 is my maximum down payment, and he assured me that all will be fine and that i would drive out of there with the new car.

After 3 hours I was declined for credit because I am self employed, and my tax returns show not enough income. I was not surprised, and figured...oh well, just pay the $1500 to fix the car but its a lease with only 3 months left on it, after which I have to do something, anyway.

I was told that my only option is to pay $5000 down and get some ridiculously high interest rate, and then pay $500 month (this is for an economy car hatchback!).

$5000 is not possible for me right now. I simply cannot come up with it. I am feeling screwed, and i accept my role in this, but tonight I'm really worried about the impact this will have on my stability.

I live in a rural area, and there is no public transport. I need a car to keep my business afloat, to get to jobs and to get my materials for the products i make. Also, I drive 30 minutes each way every day to get to a meeting. Tonight and tomorrow I have arranged for rides, but I cant do this for too long.

So I gueses what i'm saying is that I would appreciate prayers for a solution to my dilemma. Part of my recovery has (a LARGE part) been to clean up the financial mess, and I have been super diligent, living like a pauper, paying bill after bill after bill off, and, actually, ironically, yesterday, i had just paid my last bill.

so, i have no debt (good), but still have bad credit (bad), which will dog me for years, and income tax returns that show poorly (bad), even though my business generates good cash flow (good).

I am praying and meditating and asking for guidance, and welcome any ideas hat you all might have.

dealing with this sober is sooooo much better than if i were all confused, anxious and angry.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bummer.

Don't despair,just hang in there and I am sure you will soon be able to see a way out of this.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Peter. I appreciate hearing from you. It means alot

~~C
Old 04-15-2006, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have two suggestions.

First, and this may or may not apply to you, is there an auto-tech school nearby or a high school with an auto-tech curriculum nearby? My high school had one, and we got "donor" cars from people in the neighborhood. We would repair their vehicles for free in exchange for the experience. You could call around and ask if they will take your car in and fix it.

Second, whatever you do, don't get suckered into another loan. You don't need car payments! Big waste of money. Always pay cash for your car, even if you have to buy a used one. You might consider leasing another car (that requires some money upfront). You can get a decent mid-sized used American car from the mid 90's for just a couple thousand bucks. Check autotrader.com for cars in your area.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Talk about the situation in meetings.
and
check out a retirement center if one is nearby.
There is often a bulletin board with sale items.

You never know who might have a car they do not use.

Move into town?
Get a bicycle + pull cart? .

Congrats on paying off your bills!!

Hugs and Prayers
Old 04-16-2006, 12:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Absolutely talk about it at meetings. That is how I got my first "decent" car after I got sober. My old "alkie" clunker died. A fellow in the meetings that I went to, had a car he was willing to sell to me. He knew my sponsor and my sponsor and her hubby knew him.

This was late 1981, it was a 1979 Mustang and not only did he sell it to me for a nice price, he let me pay him off, again after talking with my sponsor.

It wasn't until later that I found out that Jim B was a used car dealer, and had found this one at an auction for a good price, had his mechanics go over it from stem to stern and sold it to me for exactly what it cost him. He did this same thing for others both before me and after me, but only after clearing it with their sponsors.

So ask around, you never know who might have a "decent" mode of transportation they would be willing to sell to a sober and clean friend in the fellowship.

Just some of my experiences early in the fellowship.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!

I definitely feel like i do not want to get saddled with a huge car loan again. Frito...I cannot take it to an unauthorized repair place since its a lease...they penalize you for work not done by their people. if it was my own car, i'd surely check that out.

but i will start talking about my situation in meetings and with friends, to see what the higher powers have in store.

this morning i feel more peaceful and accepting of this situation. somehow.

thank you guys soooo much for caring!
you rock!!

happy spring and easter
Old 04-16-2006, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

MC, I love the idea of sharing about it in group and I think that is the best. I know our group has a lot of people in all walks of life including auto mechanics. Even if you don't find someone to sell you a car maybe someone can repair the one you have for cheaper. Don't despair, trust your HP, and watch for answers to your problems. I am in the same exact boat with the credit stuff. I was going to go to a "your job is your credit" used car lot because although I have a car that is less than a year old my ex-abf co-signed for it for me and I thought he was going to try to make me turn it back in. That hasn't happened yet and I continue to pay on it but if I get stuck on foot then I just told you my plan B. I live in a small town and commute to Houston for work so like you, transportation is a must.

Let us know how it all works out, ok?
Kellye
Old 04-16-2006, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Kellye

I always follow your situation with admiration for your fortitude, even tho I don't post with responses, so I really appreciate your experience strength and suggestions too.

I will keep yall posted.

Im feeling like I have a little wiggle room/time, since the lease isnt over for 3 months. That means I have 3 months to either solvbe the financing issues or find an alternative and if needed, apply my stubborn WILL to the topic of managing and SAVING money.

This will be good!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you MC. I really admire YOU for getting your bills paid off!!! That is an area I am just now starting to really take a long and hard look at, becoming financially responsible! I make GOOD money for what I do, yet I never seem to have any left over. That is one of the areas I am working on in my 2nd year of recovery, getting my financial head out of my *ss and also losing the "freshman 30" that I gained in my first year of sobriety. 2nd prospect is going much better than the 1st one LOL!

Keep exploring your options MC. More suggestions would be to see what you could get on a "program car" or a "demo" or a late used car. If you can get enough saved up to buy from an individual that would be better if you can get a look at the service records. Also, if you have any contacts at the bank, talk to them about what they have in the way of repos that are not claimed. My mom is a banker and it happens all the time. They repo a vehicle and nobody claims it. The bank has to get back what they put into it so they sell it.

Same thing with local mechanics if you know of any. They may have vehicles that weren't claimed that they had to put a "mechanics lein" on. They want their investment back and you KNOW it was just serviced LOL. That is, if you trust the mechanic!

Big hugs on this Happy Easter!
Kellye
Old 04-16-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

Cat... lots of excellent tips up there (which I wrote some down for my own future reference.... that retirement center idea is a GOOD one!).

I just wanted to add that I am sending prayers, and that I am coming to believe there are few coincidences. Why your car died, who this effects, what will be the outcome... who knows. But I would bet money that looking back in a year, many of those questions can be answered.

I wish you the best (((((Misscommunicat)))))
Old 04-16-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

stay sober
things get better
Old 04-16-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It seems for some people that it takes an awfully long time. And it sure doesn't fix cars! Of course, using will only make matters worse.