Notices

wandering mind...

Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

wandering mind...

5 days today sober and things are very calm at home.Just seem to be having a hard time with the simple everyday things.I give you some examples,driving right by my house when I mean to go home,mixing simple cooking procedures like peeling potatoes and tossing the potatoes out and reserving the skins,all in the blink of an eye.Actually turned left on a red light yesterday then like 2 seconds later realized what i done.I dont feel like Im zoning out its just the normal simple things in life I am messing up.Trying to slow down a bit but I forget Im trying to slow down all the time,have been drinking more coffee than my usual one a day. any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never used it, but this is one of the things acamprosate (Campral) is prescribed for. It helps with the dysphoria that results from the damage to your neurotransmitters from heavy drinking. Ask your doctor what he/she knows about it. It's pretty new in the US.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

I remember doing things like that. The fog will lift and it will get better.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile Hang On Support Is Available

5 Days sober. Thats a good start.

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcohilc.

The greatest hope of all is that it will get better as mentioned above. One of those saying u will hear in meetings is that "THIS TOO SHALL PASS." Many things rolling around in ur mind. Too much going on at one time. I use to say the Serenity Prayer alot and still do when things get to hectic for me. Its a calming device. I try also to remember that my Higher Power is not going to give me anymore than i can handle at that moment. I also try to remember about my H.A.L.T and R.I.D.....First Hungry, angry lonely and tired. Second Restless, Irritability, and Discontent. Those are some warning signs to check on daily. Try to find a time during the day to sit still for awhile. Sit outside in the breeze, read a book, drink tea and water....i like coffee too and was drinking too much at the beginning...it does wake u up because of the caffine, then when it wears off it drops u..so u become tired...if that happens find time to take a mid day nap. Light some candles, listen to relaxing music, read some inspirational uplifting books or cookbooks if u like that. : ) I always found escaping to my AA meetings helped me to whinned down. Time to heal myself and be surrounded by good support. I would have my family watch my 2 kids for awhile while i escaped to my meetings....It was sooo worth it....because it has helped me stay sober one day at a time for 15 yrs. Take time to take care of urself, because u r worth it. If u learn to do this then u can begin to handle other things in ur life with a little more ease. Get plenty of rest, and eat fruits and veggies....oh and i forgot...exercise....i heard that lifting weights...nothing real heavy, but doing that wards of diseases. : ) Too bad that didnt ward off my alcoholism... : ) anyway...walk when its cool....ride a bike....roller skate..lol Anyway.....things will get better. Dont forget to ask Please in the morning to help u stay sober or clean and Thank you at night for helpin u stay clean or sober. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hey Patrick you just may get to liking this sober life, I see you doing it more and more often! Go man!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

7 days today sober,for some strange reason I was all shaky and weak.Find Im able to selftalk myself out of cravings better,rationally,although this is not too often.Overall I feel ok.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
new life

Howdy Homer: how many cups of coffee today- more or less than usual?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the usual since i stopped drinking,1lg. donut shop coffee in the am and 1 medium cup after work(my old drink time).Wasnt the caffeine,i actually even had oatmeal for breakfast,im normally a breakfast skipper.Maybe it was a blood sugar thing,or lack of sleep last nite.Who knows. Very irritable tonite,had my usual discipline talk with my older son tonite,only this time no fight,without alcohol in me I can keep my voice down and not get all riled up when he starts with the wise guy attitude.His substitute defense strategy is me on the computer now,just like I said to hgim before,when I dont drink anymore he will find some other defense to use on me.Things ok now.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Glad to see you hangin' in there Homer!!

Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Keep it up Homer. Life is so much better sober. Not perfect by no means, but much better.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right on, bro.
Your body may be shaky b/c it's not getting the calories it's used to from all of the beer. You'll probably crave sweets as well, but be careful -- you're better off putting more nutritious stuff into your body than the sweets, sweets will sustain the "craving" for carbohydrates or alcohol.

As for the thinking -- the fog will lift, it may take some time.

At the risk of being flamed, my suggestion is to give AA another shot. There you will find others who have been exactly where you have been, and can help you work through it -- face to face. You may need support at some point, more than this board, your family or friends can give you -- only another alcoholic may know what you're going through at that point.

Most importantly -- take things one day, one moment at a time. Things in life will unfold by themselves -- whether or not you are drinking. You just handle them better when you're sober...

Hang in there, and get a support group and program you can work...

Proud of you...

Ken
Old 04-18-2006, 11:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Patrick,

Awesome job bro! Your symptoms (confusion, procedural mistakes, shakes) are all pretty much par for the course. Takes a while for our brains to start working normally again. Keep sugar and coffee down as much as you can and monitor your blood pressure...

You da man!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Homer things do get better the longer you give the soberness the better things become. you doing very well and yes i to did some realy stupid things in the first couple of months. OH yes i still do stupid things.