Notices

Where am I?

Old 04-16-2006, 06:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
Even if it's a placebo effect, if it works, who cares? But you have to believe in it for that phenomenon to occur, and I just don't.
Hey knob, are you willing to just try to believe? Just try because I do and I wouldn't lie to you. Just try a little bit, just in case it might make things better for you.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Are you sure that you don't believe in it, or could it be that you won't? I am honestly not trying to pick at you, Knob. I know how hard you have been trying, and that is truly admirable. I'm just trying to help you find something that will work for you because I know you deserve it.

Hang in there, hon'.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
On a tear

DK... still with us, bud?

I don't think I REALLY have to believe in any fricken thing... I just have to "let go" of my obsession, my depression, my judgments, my anger, my ...crap.

It is sort of like pitching with a bucket of balls... When I was told to I needed to "Let Go", I just kept throwing them out, and I don't think I WORRIED a whole lot who or what was on the other end catching. I just didn't think about it.

I didn't start worry about it until after I noticed something was working.... THEN I started thinking...

So, until then... just keep pitching!!

((((DK))))
Old 04-16-2006, 11:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'm still here. Had to go to work so I can pay the bills. I started a new job in between quiting alcohol and quiting pot. Makes things real interesting...

DK
Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

No offense Music and Lulu, I know you mean well, but why... why must people in AA/NA be so adamant about belief in God being a prerequisite for sobriety. My belief about ultimate reality is just as valid as the next person, and I'm tired of it being looked at as a defect that needs to be changed. But of course they feel that way. That's the whole point of Chapter 3 in the BB. To convince us nonbelievers that are beliefs are invalid, illogical, and need to be changed. My frustration is not that I cannot believe in a God, but that the notion that I must is continually rammed into every orifice. The more I read on the AA forum, the more I am convinced that I do not belong there. I know many people (mostly online) that are happy and sober and who hold true to their own nonbelief. SMART, LifeRing, SOS, and AgnosticAA are full of them. Honestly, this is so freaking frustrating, I'm crying as I write this. I have an AA meeting that is literally throwing distance from my front porch. But I know what will happen if I walk over there and express that I am struggling... I know exactly what I will hear. My nonbelief will be interpreted as not wanting to or not being willing to stay sober. "Go drink some more until you are willing to believe". I think I've done enough drinking.

DK (ducking stones)
Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

DK no reason to duck from me. Look, you say "My belief about ultimate reality is just as valid as the next person" and you are right it is.

However, something in your belief system or lack of it, is not keeping you sober. Therefore, might I suggest you look into some "sliding scale" therapy places in your vincinity and try some one on one thereapy.

Your way is not working, why, I don't know, maybe because you have not found a way yet to "dig" within yourself to find the "causes" of your continuing to drink. I know for me just putting the plug in the jug and stopping ingesting other chemicals was only the beginning. I had to look "within me" to find the "cause."

I know your are "trying" but sometimes, I feel like the word "try" is a "cop out word." Don't try, just do it, if YOU WANT SOBRIETY MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

I don't care if someone uses AA, Smart, Life Ring, SOS, RR or some other way to get sober. Its not about the "getting sober", its about LIVING SOBER. And that my friend, requires more work than anything you have ever attempted before. It requires TOTAL COMMITTMENT.

Don S and Five talk about CBT a lot. Well believe it or not, I learned that also in AA. I had to LEARN new behaviors, ERASE old tapes, to learn how to LIVE SOBER.

We alkies/addicts are "Great Starters" of things and "****** finnishers." I know I sure was........well this is the only thing I have stuck with for almost 25 years now, and it's working for me, because I take the "actions", I dig within myself (still do after all this time, as recovery, just like life, is ongoing and changing). I journal almost every day, (that's one of those "new habits" I picked up instead of "lashing out at people").

I don't know about anyone else, but I do know that MY SOBRIETY was extremely difficult those first few years, I constantly questioned AA, I constantly questioned everything I was told, (sheesh some of my bosses sure didn't like it) and I struggled, but the one thing I did was was "No Matter What I Didn't Pick Up A Drink or Drug." Even when my ass felt like it was falling off.

Now DK how about starting with TODAY? What can you do for you today? Whan can you do Not to Drink or Use Today. What can you do to enjoy Today?? NOY worry about yesterday or tomorrow, just stay in today.

We don't have the answers for you, we have our Experience, Strength, and Hope. It can be done, sobriety can be achieved. It's not a cake walk, and it sure in hell isn't easy, far from it, but it can be done, IF YOU WANT IT. The MAGIC for living Sober is within you, now you need to find a way to bring it forth.

As I have said before, please feel free to PM anytime you want. I think you know by now I do not "sugar coat". Sobriety is not easy. It is the hardest thing that many of us will ever try in our lives, however, I believe, at least for me, it is also the MOST REWARDING thing that has happened to me in my almost 61 years of living!!!!!!!!

The above is JMHO based on my E S & H.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Here's a twist, are you all aware that apparently coffee has a protective effect on those that consume large amounts of alcohol... read that in a medical journal... they don't know why it works, but it does... so, maybe there is something to the availability of coffee at AA meetings after all!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Coffee or it's active ingredient?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thank you Laurie. I agree 100%. I kind of live in the boondocks, and even town (Wenatchee) is slim on low cost resources. We have a state funded mental health clinic, that used to provide sliding scale psych visits and medications. Unfortunately, even then, they were unable to provide counseling save for a BA level case manager. I used to go for my OCD, which is moderate to severe, but the state cut funding and now only medicare cards are accepted. There seems to be so little help for people working but living at or below the poverty level.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

DK, they aren't sure if it is the caffeine or if it is something else in the coffee,they just know it is something with coffee at this point. T.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Chy

((((DK)))) hang tough!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks Chy. I'm trying to enjoy feeling crazy!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
On a tear

..... I think I've done enough drinking.

That's the part I heard.

... first pitch...heeeere's the windup and tthhhhheeeeerrrreeee he gooooesss!!!....

(((DK)))
Old 04-17-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by BigSis
That's the part I heard.

... first pitch...heeeere's the windup and tthhhhheeeeerrrreeee he gooooesss!!!....

(((DK)))
Old 04-17-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Lol

Hey DK, Sorry if you felt badgered, we are all just trying to help in our own way. Hey, if saying that aliens will land in your room and do unspeakable things if you took another drink, then that would be the philosophy. We're just trying to help. Hang in there, it gets easier everyday. Trust me, from hardcore experience.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by tryinagain
Hey DK, Sorry if you felt badgered, we are all just trying to help in our own way. Hey, if saying that aliens will land in your room and do unspeakable things if you took another drink, then that would be the philosophy. We're just trying to help. Hang in there, it gets easier everyday. Trust me, from hardcore experience.
Not in the least bro.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:20 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Paused

I quit struggling when I started believing. It was that simple.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:11 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Sorry. I honestly wasn't trying to ram anything down your throat. I was just trying to help. I'll leave you alone.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'm sorry Lulu. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

No offense Music and Lulu, I know you mean well, but why... why must people in AA/NA be so adamant about belief in God being a prerequisite for sobriety. My belief about ultimate reality is just as valid as the next person, and I'm tired of it being looked at as a defect that needs to be changed. But of course they feel that way. That's the whole point of Chapter 3 in the BB. To convince us nonbelievers that are beliefs are invalid, illogical, and need to be changed. My frustration is not that I cannot believe in a God, but that the notion that I must is continually rammed into every orifice. The more I read on the AA forum, the more I am convinced that I do not belong there. DK (ducking stones)
Hey knob, I'm not taking any offense. Here's the thing though. If you read over my last couple posts, I suggested that you find your own thing to believe in and use it. If that be "ultimate reality" then use it but stop sitting in your sh*t and reading stuff into things that are told to you to justify your position. Chapter 3 in the Big Book is "More about Alcoholism." It's dealing with the FIST STEP and the fact that I tried so many things to control my drinking and that I'm powerless over that first drink and that drinking causes unmanagability in my life. Sure God is mentioned. AA is structured around the Sermon on the Mount and the Beatitudes from the Bible. That doesn't make AA religious, it just gives AA structure. People talk about God because that's what they believe. They don't talk about "one" God, or a Christian God necessarily, unless that's what they believe. People in AA use whatever concept of a Higher Power they choose. So can you and if the AAs you deal with don't like your conception, that's on them, not you. Unless of course, you want to take it on as a way of not going to AA to get sober. Then of course, there are other methods you can try. Just do me a favor and quit whinning because things don't fit you exactly. NEWS FLASH my friend. Nothing in life fits exactly. That's why tolerance is part of the main game.