Notices

ad hominem - for the curious....

Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile ad hominem - for the curious....

It really is a beauty, something that can change attitudes and the way we think while in conflict with another's opinions. Where hurts have been felt and emotions run high I think this can be a gift to learn. As it got mentioned here recently I thought maybe I'd share why I have so much affection for it.
ad hominem
Appealing to personal considerations rather than to logic or reason: Debaters should avoid ad hominem arguments that question their opponents' motives.
A term used in debate to denote an argument made personally against an opponent, instead of against the opponent's argument.
- with thanks to google!

Whether the argument is about the washing up not being done or the causes of alcoholism the discipline to stay on subject and rely on reasoning within that subject alone helps. I don't know about anyone else but I have too many memories of disagreements that begin over something small and become about each other's whole person - too many tears. I've learned this discipline of avoiding ad hominem, as long as I keep it I can most often avoid that path which has hurt.

It helps me personally to keep anger at a low level and think as clearly as I can. It helps me not to distract myself away from a subject that can be resolved into a personal fight which is far harder to resolve. I've found inside this concept a path to my own sense of dignity while disagreeing with someone.

I think as a concept it may be helpful on forums where emotions are so often involved and people care so passionately about what they discuss. I hope so.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

probably takes a lot of practice