Notices

Physical appearance

Old 12-11-2006, 04:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hi I am Martin an alcoholic, today is my 84th day of sobriety.

Health and looks, let me comment on my health first because at 53 looks are not high on my priorities! LOL

I was diagnosed with fatty liver (Precursor to cirrohis of the liver) when I entered de-tox, my liver was tender and swollen, I had blood work redone at around 70 days and every thing is now back to normal, the swelling is gone and my liver is no longer tender. I used to live with heartburn every night, now it is a rare occurence. Not to provide TMI, but my by bodily funtions are actually normal now, they had not been so for years.

I feel better every day then I did the day before, my thought processes are getting better on a daily basis, I have had some old timers tell me that it can continue to improve for over a year!

Looks wise, my beer gut is almost gone, it now looks like the paunch one might expect a 53 year old man would have, my hair is almost entirely grey, but my mom had grey hair at a younger age then me and she did not drink so that probably is my age and my hair is thinning, in regards to my hair and age I don't think I count in regards to hair recovery! LOL The bloated face and the baggy eyes have been gone for a couple of months now. I can not comment on my skin because I am naturally dark, I would say I may have noticed some improvement in my skin, but it is winter so it is hard to say.

The twinkle in my eyes! Oh yes, I have had a number of people mention it, I will be honest and say that I can feel the twinkle and the smile!!!

Yes I am a far happier person now.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
outtahere

After I stopped drinking a little over a year ago I went into the DT's/withdrawal really bad and I looked like hell. My eyes were purple. I looked like a war torn soldier. This continued until recently my eyes are starting to to get a normal color. I am not experiencing the DT's/withdrawal very much anymore. I have been on a nutritional regimen the whole time and I am beginning to get better.

I have not been using any drugs to cover up the underlying sickness. It was those drugs that are used for withdrawal that I was on for a long time that I was also withdrawing from. I just stopped drinking and tapered off the benzodiazapines and used nutrition and herbs to get better.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i actually found a picture of my daughter taken over this past summer - her heaviest using and drinking time. i hardly recognize her. since her recovery began - she eats, sleeps, and exercises better. she drinks more water. she takes a multi vitamin. she looks so much healthier even in this short ammount of time.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I am looking and feeling a hundred times better than before. I just realized that today is my 6 month sobriety date (and there's only 20 minutes left in the day.) In the past six months, I've lost 37 pounds, 37.5 inches and dropped from a size 22 to a size 14. I used to have no energy at all and would spend my lunch break taking a nap every day in hopes of having more energy to make it through the 2nd half of the day at work. Now, I use my lunchbreak to go to the gym. I've been lifting weights 2-3 days a week and working out on the elliptical for an hour at a time the other days. My energy level is phenomenal and I really enjoy all the complements from the co-workers who are noticing my weight loss and asking what my secret is. No one knows that I was an alcoholic and that it was consuming a 12 pack of beer every night that got me so fat in the first place. My skin and hair also look better too.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Save the Pars

The changes occur fairly quickly. I went from 170 lbs (i'am 6-1) back to 200 lbs. Some people thought I cancer or something. My face was swollen and red. But that went away. People say my color is better and the extra weight actually looks better on me.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Your skin will glow within a couple of days without alcohol. If you have dark circles under your eyes, they will go away. Your skin will be hydrated, clear and bright. Sobriety is gorgeous!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

This is all really so great to read. Inspiring how happy everyone seems to be sober! So free and full of natural love and joy for life. I am striving to get back to that place again. I just hate how I look when I'm drinking heavily. My skin loks tired, dry, dull, eyes are red, hair is greasy all day. Just like a bag of crap really. Plus I feel like it does a number on your spirit. I just don't have any care for life or living it when I'm always hungover...

This is only day 4 sober but I already look a million times better. Glowing, skin is firmer etc. Kind of motivating
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
All is Change

I'm OK with looking like an old fart.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Being a hairstylist...whatever affects your blood will affect your hair.Now that you are sober take vitamins,get a great mask or argan oil conditioner,drink lots of water and your hair and skin will respond!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Kimmers yes I notice when I drink a lot even though I shower my hair looks stringy and gross!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I looked like a bag of sh@te when I was drinking, and I still look like a bag of sh@te.

I lost a lot of weight though which is cool, as the booze was full of calories and I'd each twice as much too. I'm pretty trim now. I think my skin is a little better as well. I also actually comb my hair now and my breath no longer smells like rocket fuel or worse.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

thyroid

also get your thyroid checked as well it can hinder your appearance- heavy drinkers tend to have hormonal inbalance as me. with not drinking and taking sythroid i look sooo much better!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Great topic.... I bought two mirrors for my home recently. One in the living room and one in the bedroom.
It is not as hard to look at myself anymore. Inside and out.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Dry hair, dry skin that was kinda patchy (crazy histamine response type thing) and dulled eyes with noticeably dark circles.

One member actually said to me tonight "you look so much better than you did when you came in. I wouldn't use the word "unattractive", but you looked like you'd been through a war"

I've actually had to set a couple of boundaries with this person before. It was the most undignified backhanded compliment I've ever received! I haven't met one person who was the picture of health when they've first come into the rooms.....

Xx
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I actually took pictures of myself when I first jumped on the wagon last year. Lost 30 pounds in 4 months. What a change. Now it's a year later, thousands of cycling miles, healthy eating and living (minus the slips) and lately some weight lifting and I know I look vastly different. Time for another picture. Even looking through old Facebook photos I can see the difference, in fact if you look at my albums page there are two "mobile uploads" folders and the default pics on them is me, one from two summers ago and one form last summer and it's amazing. The pic of me from two summers ago also has me with a drink in my hand while the other is me after a 150 mile bike ride so it's obvious something changed in my life.

And maybe it's a bit of vanity on my part but changing my physical appearance is a big motivator for me to stay sober. At my max I was 200+ pounds. Now I'm down to like 160. That was beer weight. I drank a lot of beer and when I drank a lot of beer I made unhealthy eating choices and I was too lazy to bike or workout. Friday nights I used to drink, somewhere, anywhere. Now I spend Friday nights at the gym.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
w2r

A friend introduced me to a family member 2 years ago.
She is 56, I guessed her dad was in his 80's
It wasn't her dad!! It was her brother who was 57!!
thin wispy grey hair. An alcoholic. Since then he had a heart attack, survived and quit drinking. He looks MUCH better now.

I'm 60. Looking in the mirror......... Yesterday was my first day without a drink in decades.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Bump

For motivation
Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I take a picture of myself every week - it's scary how old and drained I looked on day 1 (I hadn't even started day 1 as an intentionally, I took the pic to track the progress of a skin care line I started using and quit drinking on the same day. I'm not as religious with the skin care as I have been with the sobriety so I know what's really working!!)

I don't look 15 years older anymore I thought I'd never get the years back on my appearance but it actually only took a couple of weeks. It was mind blowing. Plus my workouts are actually starting to look like I'm working out because I don't have alcohol and "forgetting" to eat leaching all the nutrients out of my body. I made more progress physically in weeks than I had in months. Pretty stoked.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I have not lost much weight but am optimistic that it will happen when my body is fully recovered. I drank hard for 30 plus years and for the first time except for my pregnancies I am sober for 110 plus days. I have noticed my cheek bones that I have not seen in many yesrs due to all the bloating. Also my hair is not dry and brittle and breaking every time I brush it. I wish other people would notice some changes in me but I am still delighted when I look in the mirror these days. I see an attractive middle age woman with clear eyes and nice skin!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I still have stressful days like we all do, when I probably don't look my best but for the most part lots of people tell me I look younger than my 50 years. It's an inside job I think, straighten out the inside and it reflects on the outside.