Notices

Physical appearance

Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"I've never looked better...everything eyes, hair, weight loss, skin, etc etc Literally my mom says that I 'glow ' - and I feel like it is coming from inside"

Really? Woo hoo! That is pretty encouraging and funny what you say about your "glow". I had a boyfriend tell me once years ago that when I drank I lost my "inner glow" and it would be nice to get that back again.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've only been sober six days now. But in the last four years (my heaviest drinking) I gained a lot of weight. It was depressing because I used to be very athletic. Plus, like others have said--puffy eyes, pasty skin, but most of all just feeling like warmed over death. Today, I finally started to exercise again. It wasn't much, as I'm pretty out of shape. But, I do share your concern and hope I start to look a little better myself. Overall, just hang in there. If we don't end up looking better--we'll surely feel better
Old 05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"Overall, just hang in there. If we don't end up looking better--we'll surely feel better"

I totally agree! It would be nice to wear summer clothes without having to worry about my beer gut though. lol. I don't know if you've noticed this, but now that I don't drink I sure get the munchies. Sigh. It's always something.

GJ
Old 05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Smiling In Earnest

i look much healthier and much better. my skin was sallow and pale, i had perpetual dark circles under my eyes, my face was insanely bloated, my hair was brittle, and i was beginning to get busted capillaries around my eyes and nose.. some of that damage from drinking is irreparable from a physical standpoint.. but like someone else said, the natural healthy glow and sparkle that comes back to your eyes is PRICELESS... and THAT is a beautiful thing.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Paused

My liver thanks me for quitting. The idea of liver damage scared me, but at times I just put the thought behind me and grabbed another drink. For certain, each and everyone of you will look healthier for not drinking. I too started an excercise program. I look and feel much better.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

SO true!! I even noticed that when I work out, I don't 'ache' half as much as I did when I was drinking. Back then I'd try to make it to the gym during lunch, (hangover still in effect), but for days after my muscles would be SO sore. Now they don't hurt at all, and I'm working out harder than ever! Anyone experience that? It's just crazy what I was doing to myself b/c of drinking!

:Weightlif

-DG (smile!)
Old 05-30-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know that my constant state of bloatedness and the fatigued look disappeared relatively quickly. I also began to "see" myself much better. I didn't have any skin conditions. Hope that helps.

Levi
Old 05-31-2006, 01:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by daisy_j
I had a boyfriend tell me once years ago that when I drank I lost my "inner glow" and it would be nice to get that back again.
Daisy

You will get it back! It's amazing how along our paths of destruction and alcohol abuse we get these kinds of insights and 'warnings' and we just don't heed them..but we all have our own timetable, and when we are ready, our minds are fertile soil enough to accommodate these truths.

keep going, you're doing great!

Cathy31
x
Old 05-31-2006, 01:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by daddysgirl29
I even noticed that when I work out, I don't 'ache' half as much as I did when I was drinking. Back then I'd try to make it to the gym during lunch, (hangover still in effect), but for days after my muscles would be SO sore. Now they don't hurt at all, and I'm working out harder than ever! Anyone experience that? It's just crazy what I was doing to myself b/c of drinking!

:Weightlif

-DG (smile!)
DG I can totally relate!

Yesterday I went horse riding for asbout 2 hours along the beach, and that evening I did a tae-boxing class...this morning I'm slightly sore, but NOTHING like it used to be...I could hardly get to the gym let alone near a horse because of my revolting hangovers/or I'd be getting drunk at home instead of gym/exercise/doing anything really except drink.

What an absolute freedom and blessing sobriety is.

Cathy31
x
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Alcohol consumption (large quantities or daily quantities) is one of the leading causes of back pain and also muscle soreness and fatigue.

My theory is that the "flush" you get from alcohol is actually b/c alcohol acts as a catalyst to release the stored energy in your muscles (creatine) and then it also dehydrates the muscles so you feel a lack of energy, dehydrated and sore.

Levi
Old 05-31-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Thanks Levi and Cathy! Glad it wasn't all in my head!!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

lol, I used to think that too! LOL Levi
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

back pain, eh? Wow,..I didnt know that. My lowerback was a mess for years. Ive been going to the gym 6 times a week for two years. At the end of my drinking, I weighed around 112 lbs at 5ft 7". Pretty gross. My first day at the gym I tried to bench press 70 lbs. "HHrrMmMmMmppppphhh!!!.....Ugh....I hope nobody saw that"

Now Im lifting over 200. NEVER EVER in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would EVER be able to do that. This calls for a drink!!.....jus kiddn'
Old 06-03-2006, 04:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi all.....my appearance changed dramatically. I didn't realize how much until I had been sober a while. After 5 months of not drinking I have lost over 35 lbs, my skin looks better, my hair is healthier, and my eyes are bright and sparkle again. It's so nice to feel cute again, not to mention feel sooo much better
Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm glad you mentioned your eyes, Salsa. I went to see a friend today I haven't seen since I quit drinking and he commented that my eyes look clearer than he's ever seen them. I took that as a compliment anyway
Old 06-03-2006, 05:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR Salsa!

Way to go on your sober time!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I know with me my appearance is better, when I quit drinking i was down to 128 pounds, I was pale, looked like I was a walking zombie. Now I have gained 40 pounds, got the color back in my face, I feel better physically, my body still aches. When I was drinking I didnt care about my appearance one bit, I refused to see a dentist regretting that now, since alot of my teeth have broken off. and I cant afford to go to the dentist now to get them fixed, someday I will. People who I havent seen in a long time tell me I look good that I look healthy.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
emerging from the darkness

Hello

This is my first post in this forum (apart from the introductory one I made under newcomers). It is really refreshing to read all of you talk so candidly about these things. Wow!

I have been drinking heavily for about 6 years (vodka always). I also smoke a lot when drinking. The two combined certainly don't help my appearance.

My main concern about my appearance is the redness in my face. It is especialy evident the next day, and even when I make it a couple weeks or a month without drinking (which I have accomplished a few times only) it only diminishes.

I've had people tell how tanned I look, have I been to the beach etc because of it. I really hope it will go away eventually, I hate looking like I am always sunburned.

Once again, I am so happy I found you guys, you are all amazing.

Jay
Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
*snip*Have you ever tried tying your shoelaces or combing your hair with a hangover?
*snip*
How about shaving with a bad case of "the jitters" ? Uh uh, wouldn't let a razor anywhere near me. Even a shower was dangerous when the shakes were really bad. Always feared slipping or losing consciousness.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's really funny to hear so many people mentioning the sparkle in the eyes, because after about three weeks of not drinking, my sister who has no idea about the drinking or anything asked what I've been doing lately because "there's a sparkle in your eyes"! And that I look really fresh, or whatever.
It was very encouraging but the eye "sparkle" comment was a bit suprising because I was still generally pretty depressed and stuff, not feeling exactly "sparkling".