Notices

dumb joke...

Old 03-19-2006, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dumb joke...

At my place of work, I found out an employee of mine was making jokes about my drinking problem. He was joking around about spiking my coffee. I called him up into my office, and told him I didn't think the joke was funny. It was difficult to keep my cool, because I was very angry at him.

I brought my face close to his, and softly told him to never do it again. He got the point (I hope). I told him I'm a very private person, and his jokes are crossing the line. Its not very nice to joke about other people's personal issues, and I told him my personal life isn't an appropriate conversation topic at the workplace.

I would have liked to take him out back and straighten him out the old fashioned way, but my HP granted me patience, tact and diplomacy this time. We shouldn't have to tolerate this sort of thing in the workplace.

Anyway, I think I handled the situation the right way (I hope).
chip
Old 03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

!

Originally Posted by chip
Anyway, I think I handled the situation the right way (I hope).
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Good for you. Amazing how we can change from our old ways of doing things to doing the "next right thing." (Emphasis on right!)

Good for you.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Chip! Hello!

I see your progressing quite well
he is a lucky guy!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Chip....good on you.

It's hard for those to understand, who haven't been through it, that such jokes are hurtful and insulting.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ya done good,really great!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Employment Exertion

I’m glad it worked out for you Chip. And you let it be known that kind of talk is inappropriate. I am not sure what your place of work rules for handling problems with other employees. But it is a good idea for others to follow company policy.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chip
I brought my face close to his, and softly told him to never do it again. He got the point (I hope). I told him I'm a very private person, and his jokes are crossing the line. Its not very nice to joke about other people's personal issues, and I told him my personal life isn't an appropriate conversation topic at the workplace.
I think you handled it well. The point should be stressed though that drinking is not the issue here. People's personal lives are not the appropriate subject for the workplace.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

private, simple, tactful
well done
the only thing bugging me is
how did he find out you had a problem?

best
fraankie
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fraankie-
He doesn't know I have a problem. I've never admitted I have a problem to anybody (at work). Some one else told him that I don't drink...anymore. This third party told him that I used to drink alot, then I suddenly quit. I don't think he would have made the jokes if he knew how serious this is for me.

I work in an industry where everyone drinks. People constantly think it's interesting that I choose to drink pop or juice when everyone else is drinking beer and martinis.
chip
Old 03-20-2006, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Good job at handling your anger towards this person. I see growth!

To avoid resentment:

This was our course: We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick. Though we did not like their symptoms and the way these disturbed us, they, like ourselves, were sick too. We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity, and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend. When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done."

We avoid retaliation or argument. We wouldn't treat sick people that way. If we do, we destroy our chance of being helpful. We cannot be helpful to all people, but at least God will show us how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Way to go, Chip!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

I'm proud of you Chip. You handled it like a professional and a gentleman in my opinion. Good job! You showed yourself pure respect by not allowing it to go on and by the way you handled it without drama. BRAVO!

Suga
Old 03-20-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouagement.

Thanks for posting the big book reading, Requiredfeild. This same employee is a very good worker, and I do like the guy. A month ago, he confided in me that he wanted to quit drinking. I didn't talk about myself, but I offered him encouragement. His little joke might have come about because he feels awkward??? He wasn't able to go 3 days without drinking. I think the very fact that he is so interested in my personal choice shows that he is thinking alot about his own drinking.

I'm not going to get personaly involved, but I will show compassion to people who have drinking problems. If he wants to talk about himself with me, that's fine. I've drawn a line in the sand, however, which defines converation about ME as off-limits.

For now, I'm hoping this is a dead issue. Thanks again for the support!!
chip
Old 03-20-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

I just love watching folks grow.

You showed both maturity and wisdom in your handling of a very touchy situation. Perhaps if the man isn’t too embarrassed to approach you after his indiscretion, he might make the right decision and talk to you about his problem and ask what you did to overcome your drinking situation. Never the less, don’t be surprised if you run into him at a meeting someday. (I’ve had that happen to me…) You never know where 12-step work can show up…

Congratulations on a job well done.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Chip, this isn't something that should be handled alone. I've been through a harrassment trial at work 2 years ago. This one was sexual harrassment and someone lost thier job over it. Still, yours is a clear case of harrassment. The first thing you need to do is write everything down exactly as it happened including dates and times for your own personal records. You should make a copy of that and have a meeting with a supervisor and go over everything in detail explaining that it's a heads up that here was a problem but it is taken care of for now. Believe me. Document EVERTHING NOW for future reference in case you need it. You won't remember exact details a year from now when you need it he most. Been there. Not pretty. Protect yourself now.

My 2 cents,
Jake
Old 03-20-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i can relate a little. the job i have now i work with the public. 2 peole that got kicked out of my outpaitent group have come in... seen me (i didn't even have a job when i was doing outpaitent) and proclaimed loudly something like "hey! it's you! are you still doing that 'thing'? wow that sucks!!! i got out out. still sober? that really sucks! i'm drinking again".....i am turnig bright red and looking for a place to hide. don't know how to deal with it. afraid if i say something like ' i'd rather not talk about it' it will get worse. luckly my co-workers pretend not to hear and haven't asked any questions as of yet. hang in there!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm 2nd in the chain of command at my place of work, and #1 agrees that it's harassment. If it happens again, we'll fire him. He is a good worker, and he just had an indiscretion. I've been praying for him. I'm sure I scared him a bit when I called him up to the office. It can be difficult to fire somebody for personal reasons, but one can choose not to renew a contract for any reason at all. He's on contract.
chip
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
and going nowhere fast.

At my place of work, there are alot of drinkers too. A few times when I didn't feel like joining in all the great fun of getting drunk at work (all too common!) and someone pressures me or puts me on the spot, I try the ol' swictheroo. I've said to people: "what're you, a friggin alky or something!?" I know it's just a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but when you hold someone's feet to the fire like that, they clam up real fast. I hope this helps.