Notices

hi

Old 03-13-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi

Hi,

I just posted something about sudden disasters that await alcoholics on here the other day. I got a phone call before I left for work this morning. My Sisters Brother-in-Law had a wreck Saturday. Now he's been in the Hospital twice this past year for passing large amounts of blood. The doctors told him his insides were gone and one more good drunk would kill him.He went to some tweve thousand dollar treatment center in September.

Well he ran a red light and hit a car. Very bad wreck. He's in intensive care at UAB Hospital in Birmingham. Crushed ribs, Punctured Lungs, Spleen both pelvic bones broken etc. He's got tubes running out everywhere. The car he hit. Those two People are in the Hospital too. Serious injuries. He was drunk. Didn't have a dime of insurance. This is his first DUI and he's in his 50's. He's in serious trouble.

I guess I should have been talking to him about alcohol but nobody quits till "they" want to quit. I tried treatment centers, AA, what changed me is I had a Spiritual Experience at the end of Janurary. I have peace now. I couldn't fly off the handle if I wanted too. That's the only way it could happen for me. I hadn't even planned on quitting. I'd been asking God for this for thirty years. He sure had alot of patience with me. It's almost like I'm medicated. I wish this on everyone.

It's a shame it had to come to this with the Brother-in-Law. It probably saved his life in the long run. That's how God works. I feel bad for the people that were hit. He'll do some time on this. Probably alot. Probably never have a license again. Don't drink and drive. Call a taxi, family, friends or walk home. It's not worth it.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Rusty Welcome to SR

Congratulations on your sober time, I hope your recovery journey continues , and that you enjoy your sobriety.

Probably the best thing you can do for your relative, is to pray for him, that he too, will find the courage and the stregth to decide to quit.

prayers also for the victims involved in the accident .

Keep posting

HUGX
Lee
Old 03-13-2006, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that stark reminder.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter
Thanks for that stark reminder.
Definitely.

That could have been any of us.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile Re: But For The Grace Of God There Goes I

Thanks Rusty for sharing. Hi, I'm Sharon and I'm an Alcoholic. Sorry to hear about ur relative. It's sad to hear about the others that got hurt in that accident. I think back on the countless times I was out there on the road drinking and driving. I recall my behavior and it wasn't good. How many times did I drive up the hwy. the wrong way finally realizing i was going in the wrong direction and turning myself around in the middle of the road. Or racing my car like as if i were invencible. It was so insane and crazy how i behaved.
Of course at the time I didn't realize the pain I would cause my family and friends till one night it actually happened. No, not one but several times. The first was my car ran off the road after hitting a 2 ft. notch cut out in the road. My car hit a concrete culvert sitting on top the ground. This sent me to the hospital in the back of an EMS truck where i stayed for 10 days with them removing my spleen after being punctured my numerous broken ribs. I could have die by bleeding to death internally. Luckily this happened at 2 in the morning with no other traffic involved. Luckily I didn't kill anyone else that night. Then second was the night i returned home and tried to take my life by downing pills with wine which led to a family intervention. Again I could have die. But for the Grace of God, I was spared. My family did for me what I couldn't do for myself and for that I am truely grateful.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,

I just read my post again and want you too know I was in no way kicking AA or Treatment Centers. It saved my Father. He went just about every night to AA meetings for like 30 years. He had these cards he gave out, he was a sponser, with his name, phone number and I remember it said on it "AA isn't a free ticket to Heaven, but it will help you get their !"

He had a stroke and the last 5 years of his life he would call me to pick him up, him and his wheelchair and take him to AA. That was his family. That was his life. Helping other Alcoholics. And they loved him. You know how people gravitate toward the white haired people in AA.

There's some real sensitive people on here and my suggestion to them would be to go to AA and try to get help for yourself their. Work on yourself. If someone on the internet makes you mad, you don't stand a chance of staying sober in real life.

Thanks for the replys everyone. Sharon I'm glad you're still posting. I know about depression. I caused my own with all the trouble I stayed in. That was just what caused mine. I've got a couple of Doctors in my family and they get these free samples to give their patients. Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft. They made me feel better but everyone of them made my ears ring. And I mean a loud ringing so I quit them. About two weeks on each one was all I could take. All thats lifted now. It's gone, the drinking caused mine.

You know how people will say when he's drunk he's crazy but when he's sober he's the nicest person you'd want to meet ? That's me. A stray animal never left my yard with an empty stomach. I think showing mercy has given me mercy.

Not trying to shove God down anyones throat but this Bible I had for years, it had been drenched in wine, beer, whiskey, you name it. Pages missing. Went down and bought a new one. The lady clerk looked at the Bible I was buying and looked at me. You should have seen her expression. Guess I don't look like the Bible buying type. Now I don't look like a monster. That part about me being blind in the right eye. It was an accident caused by being drunk. Just messed up my optic nerve. No one knows I'm blind in it unless I tell them. Everything bad that happened to Rusty, was Rustys fault because Rusty wouldn't quit drinking. Every time God put me on the right path I would break my neck to get off of it. That's how sick I was. Got to go to work. I'm employable now. Have money in my pocket and I'm lovin" it. Things are SO much better. I never want to be that old Rusty again. It was like a nightmare Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your recovery.