Notices

Goodbye- Came here to feel better, not worse

Old 03-16-2006, 07:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What I do in a case like that, is by-pass that person's response in a thread ( if it is THAT disturbing). Sometimes it is really about me.....the truth can hurt and somedays I am too full of self-pity to want to hear it. JMO

(and maybe I should not mention this......but the reason I was attracted to this thread is because when I read the subject line, I chuckled to myself a bit because it sounds sooooooooo much like something my active alcoholic husband would say; he so so sure that everyone and everything in the world is intent on "picking on him". Maybe there is a tiny bit of that feeling,too? We all feel that way from time to time, but active a's seem to feel that way very often,from my observations.)
Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I hope you stay here, Garsh. I think we all need each other.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winelover
Garsh, I reeeeally hope you check this thread,
Oh, I think she may have already done so a few times. Getting some good milage out of this post huh garsh ?
Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

been sober since 1992,ans I had to quit coming into the alcoholisim forum for a couple of months, and wont come in here more than once or twice a week now. The reason is that I need face to face contact with other drunks. While the written word is helpful it does not always give the right tone.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Garsh...
and everyone else.. ;o)

There is a little known option on SR called the "ignore list".

It's in your User CP... with the buddy/ignore list...

Just put in the name of the person you want to ignore and that person and what they write will become invisible to you...

Of couse.. that won't stop other people from commenting on what that person writes.

It's an imperfect world.. ;o)
Old 03-17-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by bikewench
Hey Garsh...
and everyone else.. ;o)

There is a little known option on SR called the "ignore list".

It's in your User CP... with the buddy/ignore list...

Just put in the name of the person you want to ignore and that person and what they write will become invisible to you...

Of couse.. that won't stop other people from commenting on what that person writes.

It's an imperfect world.. ;o)
LOL, BIKE!!! I do always wonder why people would rather leave than use that little thing. I have one or two on ignore, and it helps a ton!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by music
If I didn't care about you I wouldn't say anything.
See there he never post on my threads and I am jealous....you can come be mean to me anytime you want (((music)))
Old 03-18-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by splendra
See there he never post on my threads and I am jealous....you can come be mean to me anytime you want (((music)))
LOL....I love you Splendra.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by Music
LOL....I love you Splendra.
Yea well you can still come be mean to me and burst my bubble if you want to or I need it...

I really don't need anybody to smooth out my denial for me. I can do that pretty good on my own...
Old 03-18-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm not sure any of us is trying to be mean......
the internet's use of the language sometimes isn't too forgiving...
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Originally Posted by pmaslan
I'm not sure any of us is trying to be mean......
the internet's use of the language sometimes isn't too forgiving...
That's a good point to remember. Without the visual aspect of communication (expression gesture body language and the like) posts can be misunderstood and seem more confrontational than was their intent. Let's remember that we can't post messages in the same language that we might use face to face.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

come on back to the thread
take the good stuff
and
don't let an unpleasant post bother you
let it go

best
fraankie
Old 03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

I, like Ken and Chris, don't come to the alcoholism section too often. I prefer to read the AA stuff. A bit bored today since attempting to quit smoking.

Garsh, if Music is your problem...he's kicking your a$$ to get you off yours (for whatever reason) and to get your head straight. Music is an old-timer and one hell of a great guy. At least he cares enough to help you and tell you how it is! I know whenever I wanted a pity party and tried having one (on-line) he swooped right in and bashed the heck out of my party by feeding me with truth, love and compassion. Yea, it does hurt. How many people are brutal and love you enough to do that?

As for all this crap about "take what you want and leave the rest"...that's just a bunch of bs, in my opinion. I was taught by the old-timers that the crap you want to leave at the tables (or here) is the stuff you best be takin' that damned cotton out of your ears and shoving in your mouth! Listen up! Get HOW (honest, open-minded and willing) enough to listen. think, and consider. Ask yourself if you're just being defensive, if it stings because it's truthful, is it affecting ego, or does it truly NOT APPLY TO ME WHATSOEVER as far as I can honestly see. If you choose the latter, keep it on the back-burner to re-evaluate later.

Congrats on your sobriety.
Jen