Notices

hard to post...

Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vox def Priistas

hard to post...

hey everyone,

I thought I'd muster up the courage to say 'Hi'. I've been reading posts here for over a year now, but have contributed little. Through reading I know there are amazing people here that care about themselves enough to stop using and I appreciate the sober members that stick around to help out.
That being said:

I am concerned about my alcohol use. It's been pretty heavy over the last few years, on an off. Right now it's pretty bad. I drink average 8-10 drinks per day, and often I don't remember falling asleep. Every few days I either drink less or much more. I want to stop, but it's so hard to because I do not get myself into problems (fights, driving, etc.) while drunk. Financially, I can support my habit with cheap liquor and I usually drink alone. (I work in a restaurant and get home after most people go to sleep.) I just get really hammered alone and stare into the internet, TV.
The hangovers kill me. I don't want to do anything creative during the day. My girlfriend gets upset about it sometimes, but I hide most of my drinking from her. I feel like such a loser because I don't want to do anything but lay around and wait for my hangover to leave and start drinking all over again. I want to stop drinking so much, possibly down to one night a week. I know it may be necessary to stop completely.
I'm around 48 hours since my last drink. I'm not going to drink tonight, that much I'm sure of. I need to keep this frame of mind tomorrow. I'd really appreciate anything to help me stay sober through another day.

Thanks everyone!
-d
Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reduced quality
I'm around 48 hours since my last drink. I'm not going to drink tonight, that much I'm sure of. I need to keep this frame of mind tomorrow. I'd really appreciate anything to help me stay sober through another day.
reduced quality. Glad you're here.

When I got clean and sober I did it by not picking up a drink or a drug 5 minutes, one hour and one daay at a time. It talkes a huge commitment and a lot of work, but it can be done like you say by reading the stories of people who have changed their life by getting and STAYING sober.

Keep posting. We're here to support you.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome

Where you say you have done much reading, I will keep this short.

Don't pick up the first one and you won't need worry about the 10 that come after it.

Take things one day at a time. One moment at a time if need be and say no to the first one.
You can say no to one. I have so I know you can.
One night a week drinking is how I started. One became two and two became the whole week's worth.
Say no to the first drink every day and you will do just fine.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

Welcome to SR, Reduce Q

yeah..that alcohol is a catch 22.
You get hammered then get the hammer.
It's a progression and it dosn't get better.
You know of your own experience the 1 drink a weeks
is not going to last to long.
48 hours..you stopped already.
The key is to stay stopped.

I actually made a list what i wanted to do in life before
I got clean and sober. Drinking and using got in a way
of that. Plus that damn alcohol is a depressent on top of
it all and damn the torpedoes
Since I got clean and sober. I experience around 90%
of what was on that list & no hang overs.
I've made more list though out the years.
AA/NA helped me..pretty cool, I didn't have to do it alone.
My thought before I came to AA was that I die with my boots
on,a bottle and a stash. Those old ideas...wow, i changed.lol
Old 03-09-2006, 01:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Reduced Quality

It might be a good idea to see a Doc if you are quitting alone, it can be a dangerous bussiness , and be honest with him about your drinking.

having said that , as has been said , if you dont drink the first drink you cant get drunk !

Congratulations on your decision to quit

HUGX
Lee
Old 03-09-2006, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery, Reduced Quality.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Hi RedQ,

Welcome to SR! Alcohol was my dirty little secret too and I too was a drink mostly at home alone type of person. I wasn't nasty, mean, sloppy or sad... just would drink myself into oblivion and wake up the next day not remembering much of the night before and feeling like crap. You have to get to a point where you realize you can't take that first drink... cuz once you do you don't have control. Once you get there... quitting becomes a priority rather than trying to figure out how to control it.

Hang in there and know that you're not alone.

Suga
Old 03-09-2006, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

I drink average 8-10 drinks per day, and often I don't remember falling asleep. Every few days I either drink less or much more. I want to stop, but it's so hard to because I do not get myself into problems (fights, driving, etc.) while drunk. Financially, I can support my habit with cheap liquor and I usually drink alone. (I work in a restaurant and get home after most people go to sleep.) I just get really hammered alone and stare into the internet, TV.
The hangovers kill me. I don't want to do anything creative during the day. My girlfriend gets upset about it sometimes, but I hide most of my drinking from her. I feel like such a loser because I don't want to do anything but lay around and wait for my hangover to leave and start drinking all over again. I want to stop drinking so much, possibly down to one night a week. I know it may be necessary to stop completely.
Hello D.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I’m a member of AA, so I ascribe to the 12 Steps and study the Big Book. On page 31 it says “We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself.” It goes on to say that one way to find out for sure is by stepping over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. You just want to cut yours down to a single night, but with the hangovers as you describe them, perhaps cutting down to a single drink would be even more informative. However, if I could be totally honest, I’d have to tell you that normal people don’t hide their drinking from their girlfriend or anyone else for that matter. They don’t have frequent hangovers that impair their ability to be creative, etc, etc, etc. Does that say anything to you?<o:p></o:p>

Best is correct when he says the best way not to continue living like this is by “saying no to the first drink.” If you don’t know how to accomplish that, there are people out here that can give you some guidance in the right direction. (Oh, after reading your profile, I think that total abstinence would be best. One addiction tends to lead to the other.) It’s your life, it’s your call.

Good luck and keep in touch. <o:p></o:p>
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Michael

Reduced Quality,
Welcome to SR. Your post described all the indicators of alcoholic addiction, the excess consumption, drinking alone, the desire to change are all there. I suffered the same problems and like you I managed to keep the rest of my life afloat (just).
You show the desire to quit and have 48 hours under your belt and that is a great achievment. To cement that advance I recommend you get yourself along to an AA meeting to get the support and understanding face to face that you need to get over the first few weeks and months when quitting is hardest.
Good luck
Michael
Old 03-09-2006, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ASH

The hangovers kill me.
I'm not going to drink tonight, that much I'm sure of. I need to keep this frame of mind tomorrow. -d
Hi RQ,
Glad your here and decided to post.
Sounds like you have made a decision about hangovers and drinking.
Just take it one day at a time, or as Phinny said, 5 minutes at a time...
Keep reading and keep posting and maybe check out an AA meeting,
there are lots of people and support to help start you on the road.
Look forward to seeing more of you here,
Take care
Old 03-09-2006, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum D.

If you are opposed to going to meetings then try posting your thoughts and feelings here as much as possible. Talking about it helps.

Instead of giving in tho the temptation. Log on to SR and "talk" with others in recovery. There is always someone here.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome D
Stick around. If you are ready to quit - take action, go to an AA meeting, get a sponsor, change your life. I drank everyday for 10 years and now have just over 1 year of sobriety. If I can quit - you can too!
JMHS
Old 03-09-2006, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

We get here when we're supposed to. You can do this! The hangovers won for me. I get ya!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Vox def Priistas

I'm still going without alcohol. We'll see what happens tomorrow night. For sobriety, it's a good thing I have to work.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Work didn't stop me. I needed to change my desires and attitudes. Also needed to look at a few other things..where I hang out, who I hang out with. How I spend my free time.
Just some things to think on.