Notices

What is this "sick" feeling??

Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What is this "sick" feeling??

Hi

I have intended to ask this question for some time.

When I relapsed this time around (after a year and a half of being dry) that first 6-pack felt great!. I got a nice buzz, felt good, happy, motivated, etc. The next day after drinking, I felt pretty much the same way...and the next...and the next...and so on.

However, I have begun to notice that when I drink too many days in a row, I end up feeling sicker and sicker. It's almost like my body is slowly being poisoned (which it actually is!) and I feel generally unhealthy, unthrifty, unmotivated, weak, fatigued and basically like a frail old man.

I have always wondered many times if this feeling was caused by the accumulative affects of the alcohol and it does'nt seem to matter wether I drink 2 beers a day or a case of beer a day...the more days in a row I drink, the worse I feel. I would'nt even describe it as a hangover...just a general unhealthy kind of feeling.

Is this pretty much par for the course with alcohol?. I'm in my 40's and when I was younger I used to party and drink my guts out and don't remember feeling like this but of course I was younger and I was'nt an alcoholic at the time (nor did I drink EVERY day).

- Thank's for any input on this, Sober4Ever (I wish!!)
Old 02-24-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Alchohol is a depressant. It is also a toxin to the human body whether you're a social drinker or not. At first, it may give you that nice buzz where you are happy, funny, sociable, etc. but eventually if you're drinking everyday it's going to start taking it's toll on the human body and mind.

I used to drink all weekend and then wonder why I would be full of anxiety on Sun. nights and then "down" Mon-Wend. Well not only did the alchohol effect me physiologically (having to do with the biology of my brain and body) but also pyschologically, as I was looking for that "high" and without even knowing it, planning my next drink a few days in advance. I know this because when Thurs/Friday came I was suddenly "fine". And on Friday, I had that adreneline rush as I was driving home from work knowing that I was going out to get trashed tonight....
Old 02-24-2006, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

It starts with the first one. Just takes some time before you notice it is all.
Toxins will do that to the human body.

Rather then going for sober forever, try sober a day a a time.
It has worked for me for many days now. (years even)
Old 02-24-2006, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Michael

Years ago there used to be a phrase used by drinkers to describe what you are going through. They used to term it being "liverish". I am not medically qualified but I would be very surprised if the symptoms you are describing are not the result of accumulated damage to your liver.
Michael
Old 02-24-2006, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a progressive disease.

To me this means it will never get better, but consistently get worse.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so very much for all of your helpful and generous replies. I do not want to gross anyone out on this board but to be honest, I have had a lot of gas and extremely foul-smelling diarrhea for months now and I assume this is from my constant drinking(?). Also, I recently had blood work done and the doctor called me saying that my "globulin" levels were slightly low. What is "globulin" and could alcohol (even 3-4 beers a day for a few months) cause it to be slightly low like this?. Again, thank you all soooo much and sorry for the graphic description of my diarrhea

PS: Just saw the other reply here...yikes...so even if I manage to quit, I could still die from alcoholism?.

- Regards, S4E
Old 02-24-2006, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.

Alcoholism is a disease.

I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite 'handbook' on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Here is a link on your brain.. and alcohol

Brain

http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I experience the same thing. If I drink one night then I'll be okay the next day, with mild anxiety and shakes. But if I drink over the course of several days, or throughout an entire day, things get real bad. Extreme anxiety, heart palpatations, full blown panic attack.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober4Ever

PS: Just saw the other reply here...yikes...so even if I manage to quit, I could still die from alcoholism?.
No
You stop and when your time comes that you leave this earth, it won't be alcohol that does it...if you stop.
Alcoholism is progessive in that one beer is ok today, tomorrow it will take two to fill the need that one filled....next month it will be up to 5, next year maybe change to hard stuff. Progrssive in the fact that the body builds up and it takes more to give the same buzz. More can equal more damage as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok, I want to confess something here. Although I despise the way alcohol often makes me feel, I really DO enjoy drinking beer (ie; the icey-coldness, the taste, the "buzz", etc). If I was able to limit myself to just 2-3 beers each day would that be considered "safe"?. I knew an old fellow who drank just a few beers each day his entire life and lived well into his 80's. Also, even the Government say's that drinking between 2-3 beers each day can ward off heart problems (of course, for all we know, the lobbyists paid them to make that claim) however, at any rate, I'd still be an alcoholic but would it be safe?...at all?...

PS: By the way Best, VERY well put my friend!!

- Thank's again
Old 02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

BigPicture...Welcome!

The reply I did above applies to you too!

Glad you are here
Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I could drink one beer a day I would. I like the taste and that coolness after a long day at work. Thing is though...I am an alcoholic and one beer is never enough. Maybe for the first few times I could stop at one but as soon as I have #2 I would be right back where I started. For me, one is never enough and one is one to many as well.
Coke and water have replaced that cool drink after a long day at work.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think one of the most difficult aspects in dealing with this whole thing is the constant barrage of excuses the mind seems to relentlessly manufacture such as...

1) "I'll just have a few"
2) "But...but...I'm a PRODUCTIVE alcoholic!"
3) "I've worked hard all day so I DESERVE a drink"
4) "I'll just have one more beer and THEN I'll quit"

Then there's the constant duel between drinking and not drinking that goes on in your mind and when your an obssessive-compulsive person like me, often impulse overides any reason/sanity.

Well, at least I'm dry at the moment. Hopefully I'll have the willpower to STAY that way.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Goes with the territory.
I would safely say that we all have had those talks with the little voices inside.

Now they better stay quiet or I will poke them again with a Q-tip *LOL*
Old 02-24-2006, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
Now they better stay quiet or I will poke them again with a Q-tip *LOL*
:AR15firin ALCOHOL
Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really feel like I "need" a drinking right now just to feel "normal". Of course, I realize that I will feel regret, remorse and perhaps a slight hangover if I do this. Maybe if I mix "near beer" with real beer, I can trick my mind into thinking that I've drank a 6-pack when in fact, I will have only had 2-3 beers. Worth a try?. I don't know but one half of me is totally repulsed by the thought of having a few beers because, well, frankly, I'm just SICK of the stuff but the other side just wants to feel "normal". This really isn't fun
Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The little voices or sound reason? hmmm Who wants to help me and who wants to help hurt me?

The little voices are good friends with the alcohol industry.

You can get past this. A moment at a time if need be, keep saying no and soon the day will be over.
Maybe look for a meeting to take up some of the time. They have great support and info at the meetings.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I wish there was an AA online where you could post messages, chat, talk live using webcams and maybe have an emergency alert button you could press to summon others whenever you felt like you were going to relapse. I could do without the coffee and donuts. Whoops I just realized that there is a chatroom on this forum...nice!

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention was that once I've eaten supper, I can no longer get any affect from drinking alcohol because the food acts as a buffer so between, say, 1:00PM and 5:00PM there is a mounting pressure for me to chug down some beers before suppertime arrives and it becomes "too late" to drink anything. Sometimes, I'll go without drinking up until 3-4 o'clock in the afternoon so as to create a smaller window of opportunity for me to drink and so by the time I've had my first beer or two, I can stop myself from drinking anymore simply by eating (I'm usually starved by then and ready to eat anyway). Anyone else do this?.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Originally Posted by Sober4Ever
I think one of the most difficult aspects in dealing with this whole thing is the constant barrage of excuses the mind seems to relentlessly manufacture such as...

1) "I'll just have a few"
2) "But...but...I'm a PRODUCTIVE alcoholic!"
3) "I've worked hard all day so I DESERVE a drink"
4) "I'll just have one more beer and THEN I'll quit"

Then there's the constant duel between drinking and not drinking that goes on in your mind and when your an obssessive-compulsive person like me, often impulse overides any reason/sanity.

Well, at least I'm dry at the moment. Hopefully I'll have the willpower to STAY that way.

Since you mentioned AA, I'm linking the big book.... more importantly the Dr.s Opinion..

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_doctoropinion.cfm
Old 02-24-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, I regret to say that I succombed to the sinful pleasures of alcohol this evening (I'm on my third beer and "floating on air"). I see a lot of posts here which basically extol the virtues of not drinking followed by a testomonial-like statement like "well, I've been sober for 4 years now and it feels just great". I wonder how many here are still drinking and crying out for help.

Just pondering...