Notices

May I offer a suggestion to the moderators?

Old 02-19-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

May I offer a suggestion to the moderators?

I haven't been on this board for long, but I see a recurring theme of AA versus non-AA when I really don't think such discussions are positive or helpful to anyone. There are those of us who have tried AA, and who have decided it's not for us. Would it be possible, or appropriate since there is an "AA Forum" to have an "Alternative Methods" forum? That way, people could post where comfortable without feeling challenged or defensive in any way. Just a suggestion made with good intentions. :-)
Old 02-19-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi garsh...

Thank you for posting yor interest.

I will make sure it is noticed by the administration.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you!! I don't mean to offend anyone or his or her choices. It's all good!!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just my two cents... we do have forums for this. One is What is Recovery and the other in Alcoholism.

SR has addressed this issue many, many times. It comes down to the people, though. Most are respectful, but - like any group of humans - there will always be the hard core people who think there way is the only way.

I find it helpful to skip over posts that rub me the wrong way and I have also used the Ignore button on occasion.

Good thoughts, garsh. I just wish there was a better answer.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll just have to trust me on this...

It's a problem that can't be solved.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Originally Posted by Morning Glory
You'll just have to trust me on this...

It's a problem that can't be solved.
Bless you, MG. Thank you for all you do!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by garsh
I haven't been on this board for long, but I see a recurring theme of AA versus non-AA when I really don't think such discussions are positive or helpful to anyone. There are those of us who have tried AA, and who have decided it's not for us. Would it be possible, or appropriate since there is an "AA Forum" to have an "Alternative Methods" forum? That way, people could post where comfortable without feeling challenged or defensive in any way. Just a suggestion made with good intentions. :-)
And here I was thinking all along that AA is an "alternative method." I just happen to believe it's the best method, 'cause it's working for me. Like the old saying goes, "if you can't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." I think the problem with some folks is that they try to find a program that's tailor made for them and in doing so, confuse the whole issue. Do whatever the hell it takes to not take that next drink, even it your method is standing on your head in the corner and crapping wooden nickels. Make a damn decision instead of argueing about what works and what doesn't. As long as a person is drinking, WHAT HE'S DOING AIN'T WORKING. And, if after a person has been dry for a while and they still feel like hell, WHAT HE'S DOING AIN'T WORKING!!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you haven't visited What is Recovery pop in and see us!! I gained lots from posting on this board and personally I tend to prefer less boundaries/ divisions and although I'm a Mrs rather than been addicted to alcohol - hell, I still have alot of interest, especially in alternative methods to al-anon and AA (not knocking just saying it's an extra interest).

After reading the forum heading - I thought maybe I shouldn't post here (though I could sneak in as I quit with my hubby!!), it's not the purpose of the forum though. It would BE LOVELY to have some discussion as you mention in What is Recovery, which is open to all.

We can keep it friendly and respectful while we stay friendly and respectful and for all there has been the occassional problem there's also been some excellent examples of that in this and other forums on SR.

I guess this thread's ok to post in though?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Michael

Most people on earth like to be a part of a group. Be it a football team, a family, a roup of classmates, we all love to belong. There are precious few of us who like to plough our own individual furrow. It is hardly surprising that that is the case as to be human is to be a social animal.
In the case of alcoholism it is a huge benefit to know that we are not alone in alcoholism and that we can gain support and provide mutual benefit by acting as part of a group. For many alcoholics AA provides just the structure that they need in order to become and remain sober. Now for me AA does not work because the fundamental philosophy of reliance on a higher power has no relevance for me. I did start on the road to sobriety with help from the organisation and I remain eternally grateful for that initial assistance.
Whilst AA's core beliefs and the beliefs of people like me differ I would caution against becoming anti AA in any way. I have seen them referred to here on this site as a "cult" when in my experience they are no such thing. They certainly have and espouse a belief in a higher power but then so do the vast majority of the human race.
If someone on this site recommends AA or SMART or Rational Recovery as a result of personal experience we are all surely sufficiently adult to accept the commendation and do with it as we please. We are not forced to accept another's viewpoint nor is anyone else forced to accept ours. Time for a little live and let live, give and take. I lived the last few years in a prison of my own making, walls formed by my addiction to drink. Now that I am free from that I have no desire to close my mind again to ideas, notions and philosophies that may help to keep my life safely in the real world.
If you believe in something tell us, it may just be the vital piece that someone somewhere is seeking.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 02-20-2006, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont think we need to be split at SR between styles of recovery. I would like to think every human on this earth is striving to be happy, in any way possible. Hell, it would be okay if all humans could share techniques and methods to make us happy.

In line with what Micheal says, I do believe that AA is something to which I have to learn to live with - even though I am against most of its core teachings. I believe in secularisim, and AA is to me a system of belief alongside many others. I will however speak what I believe is true to me, and not be afraid that it might upset - because what upsets some people may help others. I think self control is essential when so many people believe so many different things. If I really didnt like AA I should maybe go on a campaign, set up my own website, etc...but to be honest I dont have the time or energy - so its best just to be as friendly as possible. Although I still fall short of that ideal occasionally. I dont mean to offend, nor would I want to be silenced.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Originally Posted by Music
Do whatever the hell it takes to not take that next drink, even it your method is standing on your head in the corner and crapping wooden nickels.
Sometimes from the podium I will say that if my sponsor told me to stand in the corner and do jumping jacks to stay sober I would have done it. But I like your example much better.... LOL!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

May I offer a suggestion to the moderators

no

it's a message board
as in
free speech
(according to rules, of course)
but
anyone should be able to post anywhere
about anything, anywhere
and