Notices

I think I'm being shunned

Old 02-20-2006, 07:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Paused

For the record, I think most of us make suggestions on what we know. We share our ES&H. I suggest AA because it got this hopeless drunk sober. It is all I know and it works. Not because it's easier then addressing the issue/question.

We don't have to agree with each others forms of recovery, but please don't suggest my motives as being lazy. That's silly... However, I will consider forgiveness. That goes both ways of course.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it. There are so many great minds in this forum.

Before I decided to stop drinking, I spent a lot of time looking at Jack Trimpey's website, Rational Recovery. Boy, that guy is positively bad-tempered about AA! And yet he seems to have a loyal following of folks who have supposedly gotten sober and stayed that way. More power to him, and them.

My own problem with his approach is that he leads me to the moment I decide to stop drinking for good, and then assumes that that's all there is to it. There's no follow up, no advice on how to get through the next 40 years of my life as a non-drinker. I'm not an AA member, but I appreciate the fact that many of us don't become sober at the flick of a switch, that we do better with some form of social and emotional support.

I don't think any one of us is where we are going to end up yet. For that reason, I think it's best to avoid judgments about where someone is going or how they are getting there. I do believe that for many, sobriety is a journey, not a destination and I am enjoying having some fine company on the trip!
All Good Things
Old 02-21-2006, 09:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

My own problem with his approach is that he leads me to the moment I decide to stop drinking for good, and then assumes that that's all there is to it
lord, i know i would have started drinking again. i spent the first six months of my sobriety just not drinnking. it was not fun. even if you stop drinking you still have yourself to deal with and as for me i was bat shiit crazy. i needed the 12 steps.