Notices

The lamp

Old 02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The lamp

Andreas Katsulas died of lung cancer recently, and in reading about it I came across this quote made by his character G'Kar on the show Babylon 5. I thought I'd share it in the hope that someone else will like it as much as I do.

If I take a lamp and shine it toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth... for understanding. Too often, we assume that the light on the wall is God, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the sense of revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search - who does not bring a lantern - sees nothing. What we perceive as God is the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light... pure and unblemished... not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes we stand in front of the light and assume that we are the center of the universe - God looks astonishingly like we do - or we turn to look at our shadow and assume that all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose, which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and in all its flaws; and in so doing, better understand the world around us.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
United States of Fugue

Ah, the number of memorable quotes from B5 were huge. I love the one about if we followed the rule of an eye for an eye we would all be blind, and everyone believes in something even if it just random chance
Old 02-15-2006, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fuguestate
Ah, the number of memorable quotes from B5 were huge. I love the one about if we followed the rule of an eye for an eye we would all be blind, and everyone believes in something even if it just random chance
Yeah I love the eye for an eye one too but I think that was Mahatma Gandhi.

Good stuff eh.