Notices

Hello - With a Question

Old 02-09-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Hello - With a Question

Hey Guys,

As you could probably tell I’m new to the board and here for the same reason as pretty much everyone else.

I’m not going to go into great detail about the story of how I wound up where I am, I’ve read a lot of posts here before I joined and it looks like it’s already been told a couple times. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in this problem.

But since I’m introducing myself I think I owe a little background to anyone who is taking the time to read this.

I was recently laid off from a really good job, lost my girlfriend and I don’t know a whole lot of people in this town. Found myself with too much time on my hands and down in the dumps and turned to alcohol.

I’ve always been a drinker but it’s gotten really bad since I lost my job and special someone. I hit rock bottom a week and a half ago when I came off the last bender and had severe alcohol withdrawal, it was the worst I’ve ever felt in my life and I never want to feel like that again. Ever.

That’s it in a nutshell, told ya it would sound familiar.

I’m just going to try and quit the stuff on my own and if it doesn’t work I’ll start attending AA classes. I promise.

Anyway, since I’ve quit drinking I’ve had wicked cravings for sugary stuff; Mountain Dew, chocolate, I bought brownie mix when I was out shopping today. I haven’t drank Mountain Dew or craved chocolate since I was 10 years old.

I’m not worried about the cravings, just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar and it was a good excuse to introduce myself.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome otter.

Craving sugar and chocolate.......ooohh yeah, that was me. I went on an ice cream eating rampage my fiance had to sit me down one night and give me a good lecturing.

Eventually though I was able to achieve some balance in my life with the help of AA.

Good luck on your attempt to go it on your own.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Sugar craving is normal. I don't know the physiology behind it, but I still, in times of stress, will go ape on a box of chocolates.

I'm glad you're here...and I'm sure that the welcome wagon will arrive soon! The good news is you never have to go through last week's experience again. Just plugged my sobriety date into one of those calculators, and surprise! Today is day 1200 for me. I did it just like everyone else...one day at a time. I tried a lot of different methods to get sober. I finally gave AA an honest try (had been in meetings off and on for fifteen years), and I've been sober since. Guaranteed, if you're in a town full of strangers, you'll find lots of friends if you choose to walk through the doors of AA....true friends who understand where you're coming from.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-09-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Otter,

I'm glad you found us. Yeah, I had sugar cravings too, but I also had other cravings. Basically my body was crying out for good nutrition and I just had to learn to treat myself well and eat good food. Just give yourself a little time to adjust to not drinking and, like Peter said, balance will come.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome otter!
I hope you'll find a means of live support that works for you! Good luck and we're here to listen.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As one newbie to another....welcome.

Yep, the sugar cravings are normal. You might try eating really nourishing food though to give your body the boost it needs, rather than the junk. If you've been drinking for a long time, trust me, you're depleted in some way. It takes time for things to adjust. Patience is the key.

Sorry to hear about your job/gf loss. You're on the right track getting off the alcohol though. Keep at it!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Thanks Guys, I'm going to off to watch a movie. Watching "The Notebook", it's supposed to be a real tear jerker.

* - I can't begin to explain how nice it is to have someone to talk to about this problem of mine.

Don't feel sorry for about being alone, I'm only an hour away from a boat load of friends and family. I just don't feel like being around them right now and didn't through "the binge" either.

Talked to my Mom and some of the guys today and put on my happy voice. I don't want to worry them, especially my parents, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't understand.

I'll be back later tonight. Peace.

* EDIT - Sorry, this is new to me, I forget where I'm at
Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

i was hooked on milk shakes for about 2 months after i stopped drinking. at the time i didnt even realize what was going. couldnt figure out why i would sit down and eat a pint of ben jerrys ice cream like it was nothing. but hell it worked for me, better than drinking
Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

For understanding alcoholism...

"Under The influence"
and it's sequel
"Beyond The Influence"

are carried by Amazon

The eating olan in 'Under" is excellent.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by CarolD
Welcome!

For understanding alcoholism...

"Under The influence"
and it's sequel
"Beyond The Influence"

are carried by Amazon
I ordered both those books last night, I imagine they'll arrive by Wednsday. I'll let you know how they worked for me. Thank you for the recommendation

What did you mean by?
- is that a book too?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by CarolD
"Under The influence"

I am thinking it is in the book Under. A chapter maybe? I have not read the book.

Welcome to SR. Just so you know...It can work and you can stay sober.
I have a few years worth and I have found sober sure is better.

We can tie our hands and tape our mouth or just stop putting the alcohol in.
What you would find at AA or other support programs...they help the whole person find recovery. Mind, body, and soul.
No alcohol in, we still have emotions and feelings to deal with.
Know that support is available when you need it.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am a sober rottem typist....Sorry!

Yes....
"Under The Influence" has an excellent eating plan

I am pleased to see you are seeking answers
Old 02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Welcome to SR otter!

Eat well and your body will love you back ... remember that before, during and after craving attacks. Changing to a non-drinker will mean that the body is missing some stuff, getting rid of some stuff, trying to repair some stuff and this stuff will all take a bit of time.

I got right into health food at the same time as quitting alcohol, best thing to go ballistic about, there is absolutely no harm in reading heaps and arguing heaps about what is and what is NOT good for the body.

Stay strong, you do what you gotta do to stay sober today.
lots of love,
brigid
Old 02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Otter,
Welcome to SR, glad your here. How are things going today?
I am reading Beyond Under the Influence as recommended by Carol and it is great. Look forward to hearing what you think after you get them.
Take care
Old 02-18-2006, 10:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As many have said, a sweet tooth is normal when quitting. The vast majority of people who quit drinking do so on their own according to a study by Harvard Medical review so best of luck!