Notices

Tropical vacation in 2 days...

Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tropical vacation in 2 days...

For most people this should be an exciting time for them,for me its quite the opposite.Ive been totally sober for 5 consecutive days now with no major cravings to drink as I committed myself to abstinence for the long haul.This makes me very sad,I like to drink beer but it is NOT possible any longer.I went to my Dr. today for prescription refills for my high blood pressure and of course he had to ask about my drinking,as I do NOT hide anything from him I explained I have been drinking with short intervals of abstinence,this time being 5 days.I could not even count how many times he said the F word to me,I got slammed about doing this to my family,my body and my mind.This guy layed into me like I was being interrogated for murder.All I could do is agree with some justification attempts that were cut off immediately.He said my liver is enlarged,I kinda knew this for years after few years back ultrasound revealed fatty liver.This sucks in a way because Im going on a 7 day cruise to carribean islands which is known for alcoholic beverages being the highlight for people like myself,alcoholics.Last night,even before my Dr. visit I told my wife I feel soooo different this time of not drinking that I feel its my time to stop forever BUT am scared of not enjoying myself on a vacation without getting drunk many times,as usual vacations are for me.I guess I was MEANT to go to my Dr. today and get some common sense beaten into my weak alcoholic mind.I wont be the only non-drinker on this vacation but will envy those who are dancing on tables and wearing lampshades on their heads until the morning comes and Im not hungover.Thank god they have a gym on this ship.A few others in our group dont drink but Ive always considered them as boring,including my father.Guess I might find out the difference between "boring" people and "drunk" people as I will be on the boring team(in a drinkers eyes).Anyhow,Im looking forward to feeling better everyday that I no longer drink.It will be a "new" experience in every aspect of this trip to me,kind of hard imagining not being passed out drunk couple times a day,I always called it nap time but it is really passed out drunk.Talk tomorrow before I leave,sorry so long.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Homer-

I sure hope you try to have a good time. And try not to envy the poor drunks....
Old 02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Patrock....

Find the Friends of Bill on the daily activities list.
Go.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope you have a ball patrick

I used to have those 'naps" too, never knew they were blackouts til I went to AA LOL

HAVE FUN

HUGX
lee
Old 02-09-2006, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you have a great vacation Patrick and I'm glad your dr lectured you today. Think how proud you will be of yourself if you get through this vacation without drinking.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

I'm having a hard time dealing with the facts that if I want to stay sober I'm never going to be able to have a glass of wine with dinner, a beer with my old 'beer buddies' or champane at a wedding.

I don't have any answers myself, just know you're not the only one.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I bite.

I wonder if they have AA on these cruises?

Good job on the 5 days!

Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck! I thnk those cruises have a chocolate fountain. A friend of mine went on one. She's a pretty big drinker, but said the drinks were way to expensive on there. And they like charge your room at the end of the cruise or something. So, she hung out at the chocolate fountain. Said the chocolate was so good, she craved that more than a drink (and she's big drinker). I'm not a chocolate fan myself, but typing about it makes me wanna get a Hershey bar from the vending machine.

Try to have fun.

P.S. I'm having a hard time with drinking too. It sure is tough. But lets keep trying. What else do we have to do.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Congrats on day 5 Patrick. Your still trying and that makes me smile. As for the cruise.. well damn it man... just because it's there.....
Old 02-10-2006, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Hey Patrick, congrats on your 5 days, that is awesome!

Take the cruise as an opportunity to see drunks from sober eyes and see just how boring we really were!! Different eyes see different things

lots of love,
Brigid
Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

I wont be the only non-drinker on this vacation but will envy those who are dancing on tables and wearing lampshades on their heads until the morning comes and Im not hungover.
Once sober, I think you will have a different perspective of those donning the lampshades on their heads. You will see how silly it really is. Fun is enjoying a beautiful sunset with your lovely bride. Sober is better. You just need to get used to the idea and learn to appreciate the sober difference. I missed out on a lot of wonderful moments in life because I was to drunk to care, appreciate, or remember it. Tust me, nobody wants a picture of themselves wearing a lampshade on their head in their photo album. Thanks for the memories...
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Congrats Homer! Five days is a milestone. You are going to make it.

Think of the cruise as a voyage away from sickness, insanity, and death. It is going to take you away form all this pain.