Notices

ahHaa...

Old 01-30-2006, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ahHaa...

The "thing" did it again.Its getting to the point where I am losing self-arguments with myself,innerself,mind,willpower,etc.! That may sound strange but that is what its like being me.I do not want to go on drinking,reallly,but I really feel a fight in me,my thinking that is.One of me wants to keep drinking my beer(s) after work and the other me experinced not-drinking so he's looking forward to actually getting out and doing anything but sit at the computer or TV drinking beer. This is a ********(no pun) post,I know,buts its soooooooo crazy to me that I cant just stop drinking like I can stop "brushing my teeth"? Allright,no more chewing my fingernails,which I have done in the past for years at a time,I CAN stop without driving myself mad/nuts!! Im under a lot of stress right now with th 2wweek vacation,car arguements w/16 year old,limited on my spending money,my alcohol problem along with my health problems(see alcohol was 1st),the cadillac got slight oil leak... you know
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

not wierd at all, I've fought that fight so many times, I can't count!! It's like having the little devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other, both whispering in your ear, or sometimes SHOUTING!!!! Unfortunately, I'd say this is normal for us. You can do it, you know which one to listen too!! Take care.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Make a list of the good and the bad points of drinking again.

You can go forward Patrick.... Keep in focus
Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i'll never stop biting my finger nails i like carol's list idea. refocus on your reason for wanting to quit and go from there. that reason has to be bigger or more important than the urge or need to drink. there's always going to be stress going on in our lifes. the alcohol doesn't make it go away. we might think it does but it usually compounds our problems whether immediately or over time.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Michael

Homer,
What you are describing is the addictive voice. The addictive voice is your base instinct's attempt to satisfy its craving for alcohol.
There is a web site called Rational Recovery that I have used which gives a tutorial on ways to deal with and defeat the addictive voice. The method is very simple and straightforward and has worked well for me. It basically involves recognising the presence of the voice and then giving it a first rate thrashing. I used it a great deal in the first months of sobriety and find that now I need to use it less and less often. As soon as you recognise the presence of the voice you tell yourself that it is simply a base desire and then tell the voice that your higher intellect is in charge and that the voice can go to hell. As I say it works for me and I recommend that you give the site a try.
Michael
Old 01-31-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Patrick:
I'm sorry, but being an alcoholic I can put myself right where you are at. You have a vacation coming up, and your "alcoholic" wants to drink. Your post is an excuse to drink. Sorry, I calls 'em like I sees 'em... It's not a "thing" either. It's called alcoholism -- it's goal? To kill you.

Do you have a Big Book? If so, read it and find yourself in there -- use a highlighter or red pen and highlight every word you see "you" in there. My book has a LOT of red and yellow in it! If you don't have one, send my your address and I'll mail one out tomorrow -- mine if I can't find one in the store...

I'm concerned about you my friend... there's no "TRYING" with alcoholism. You'll get it... or it will get you. I have kind of giving up posting on SR due to all the BS AA vs. Non-AA -- it gets really tiresome. But I refuse to give up on helping a friend...

The choice is yours...

From the Big Book....

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost
selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step
in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or
presently may be, has to be smashed.

Ken