Notices

The Company Line

Old 01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Company Line

I compare my first year in recovery to holding my breathe, and I was almost out of air. I kept hearing don't drink, go to meetings, and ask for help (the standard company line) I attended meetings everyday, was active in my homegroup, coffee-maker, chairperson, going on regular commitments the whole 9 yards, yet I STILL WANTED TO DRINK. But for the grace of God I shared this at a meeting. ONLY then(and it was outside after the meeting) was I presented the solution and the program of action(STEPS) that would bring about the psychic change necessary to recover from alcoholism. Since that time I have become a student of the big book, working the steps with a sponsor, and abandoning myself completely to a higher power whom I choose to call god. The importance of passing the message on to newcomers is made abundantly clear in the bigbook. I needed to change,and stop living inside my head, all I was doing was going to meetings, riding a chair and not getting better. Putting the drink down was the tip of the iceburg, the only thing I didn't have to change about myself was my name. My suggestions these days include, ask a higher power to remove the obsession of mind and body, live in the solution not the problem, help others. Not my intention to come off as a know it all, I just wish I could have gotten the solution sooner. Going to meetings and telling war stories and moaning about my bad day just didn't cut it. I owe my life to AA, the 12 steps, and developing a faith that works 24 hours a day. If this post has been helpful to anyone. I have done god's will for me at this moment.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Service is a Key

It's truly a miricle and a wonderful thing to witness, and be a part of, when a person first or finally sees the LIGHT of AA!!!

Great message!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this Rob, I too find myself sitting in the chair and not feeling any better at times and often have to remind myself it take a lot more than just going to meetings to feel and stay better. This was a great message and a great reminder so thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good message Rob. thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing
Old 01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

God and AA and Me

an unbeatable triangle for sobriety!

Thanks Rob...
Old 01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was helpful to me!!
JMHS
Old 01-24-2006, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, Rob. It's inspiring.
chip
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

As they say: "It works if you work it".. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

It was so helpful to me, Rob! Sometimes I give myself a HUGE pat on the back for nt drinking and getting to a meeting when tired...you've reminded me again that there is SO much more to it if we really want to reap the benefits, and ultimately, as you have done, pass it on.

I hope you stick around!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rob, if I'm reading this right, nobody shared with you that you needed to work the steps until you were almost a year sober???? Is that right or am I totally misunderstanding that? My goodness, at my home group we have it pounded into our heads that alcohol is but a symptom of our problem and that only by working the steps will we become free of the obsession and compulsion to drink alcohol. By all means, meetings are important, but just meetings without steps or HP???? I don't think I would have made it! I do know that like you mentioned, I had to get really involved in my home group. I made tons of meetings and then took it a step further and became elected our speaker rep for a year. It was so that I would make myself stay "a part of" and have an obligation/responsibility to live up to. Happily I made it and met lots of interesting people along the way as I got them to tell their stories at our group.

I am glad you posted this Rob. It is an excellent wake up for those who may be slacking or those who don't understand the "meat and potatoes" of this program (the steps & HP!).

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 01-25-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You interpretted correctly, I saw them on the wall and wondered about them, but it was not pounded in to me, not even mentioned much. It makes me think how essential to AA the traditions are, When we don't follow them or think they are applicable to our own little group people suffer. Our primary purpose is to remain sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety. I know I can't change AA, or my home group, there is a fair amount of personality over principles going on. The premium being placed on quantity and length of sobriety, not the quality. However, I can deliver a consistent message of RECOVERY and be sure to extend my hand to the alcoholic who still suffers.It's attraction rather than promotion. Trust God, Clean House, Help Others.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by Rob B
It's attraction rather than promotion.
Nicely said.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rob, I am so glad you figured it out and you are absolutely correct in what you say, attraction rather than promotion. It was promotion that brought me to a couple of meetings to get someone off my butt and immediately I would find reasons why it wasn't for me. It was attraction and wanting what these people had when I ended up back in meetings knowing that I could no longer do it alone.

Principles over personalities is hard to deal with sometime. I applaud you for sharing the RECOVERY message anytime you get a chance. Perhaps if more people in your group follow your lead those principles will start winning!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bumped up thread

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
You interpretted correctly, I saw them on the wall and wondered about them, but it was not pounded in to me, not even mentioned much. It makes me think how essential to AA the traditions are, When we don't follow them or think they are applicable to our own little group people suffer. Our primary purpose is to remain sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety. I know I can't change AA, or my home group, there is a fair amount of personality over principles going on. The premium being placed on quantity and length of sobriety, not the quality. However, I can deliver a consistent message of RECOVERY and be sure to extend my hand to the alcoholic who still suffers.It's attraction rather than promotion. Trust God, Clean House, Help Others.
I had done steps with someone when I was new in. Then about 4 months later, some guy who came to our meetings once a month seemed to be different than most. He spoke of this work out of the book. I original sponsor barely read the book or anything and he sent me to a priest to 5th Step, then I was on my own.

So this guy who came once a month, I asked him some questions after the meeting because I was curious where he was coming from and why he was so different from everybody else. He was the 1st to ask me about booze. How was it with me and booze? At that time I was properly 12-stepped and a journey began.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Heathen

this post is 3 and a half years old.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

smacked is right....this is an old post.

Where r u in ur recovery today?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Still a good post
Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yea it was worth the bump.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
this post is 3 and a half years old.
It sure is, and I can tell you my life has and continues to be blessed beyond my wildest imaginations. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in hearing what I did.