Notices

The Company Line

Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I had done steps with someone when I was new in. Then about 4 months later, some guy who came to our meetings once a month seemed to be different than most. He spoke of this work out of the book. I original sponsor barely read the book or anything and he sent me to a priest to 5th Step, then I was on my own.

So this guy who came once a month, I asked him some questions after the meeting because I was curious where he was coming from and why he was so different from everybody else. He was the 1st to ask me about booze. How was it with me and booze? At that time I was properly 12-stepped and a journey began.
Wow I just can't get over the similarities to my experience. Until I worked the steps(still working on 10, 11, 12...for life) with my current sponser, a BB hardliner with 20+ years straight from the Big Book I didn't get the spiritual awakening and solution I needed.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wonder if there's a way to differentiate between telling "war stories" and qualifying or telling what it was like, then backing that up with the Solution.

In any case, I've come from the school of talking to a "prospect" for A.A. about our own drinking, then getting them to share some of their own experiences... to become satisfied whether you think this new "prospect" is a real alky or not.

But then, not labelling them as one or not, but you direct and/or guide them through start to page 43 and letting THEM determine whether they're alky or not.

Any recovered alcoholics in here have an opinion on that one?

Thx in advance and I'm off to lunch with my A.A. peeps.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Absolutely, the new prospect should come to whatever conclusion themselves... how else would one take on the serious and difficult self examination needed to work the steps?

For the sake of discussion, what if your determination and the new prospects conclusion differ? We had a newcomer last night and our discussion with him afterward was centered completely on this first step and the need for him to take that journey himself. I really don't know how I could ever be the one decide, I mean, I know what I know about myself, but, well...

Mark
Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks rob.......i relate to your original post very much...

i still wanted to drink......in fact numerous times i did drink..

yeah im sure once in a while someone would mention the steps...

but they are for the old timers right??......or the god squad?

Anyhow they dont concern me and as long as i do 100s of meetings and keep repeating the same negative stuff im gonna just ..light right up.

Thats how i thought....man how sick is that.

Eventually i went to a meeting where they werent gonna let this newcomer walk without hearing the "full"........story.

I still come across lots of newcomers locally that think like i once did...in fact i come across a few that have been around for a while that think like i once did.

i pass on what the programme of recovery has done for my family...and me.

and i tell they exactly where i found it........

trucker
Old 06-05-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great Post, I am 40 days sober today (my longest in 26 years) I started AA 6 weeks ago and have a fantastic sponsor (25 years sober) and we are working the steps. I have just the last few days found I have gone from sub conciously thinking I am not drinking at the moment, to thinking I dont drink anymore.
I feel better about myself than I have in years, though am very careful not to get ahead of myself and constantly remind myself to live in the moment and not get stressed about tomorrow.
One day at a time.