SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Alcohol Cravings (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/83565-alcohol-cravings.html)

daddysgirl29 01-20-2006 11:01 AM

ORR, I hope you haven't logged off, and I'm sorry if some missed your point. It's hard when we're not in person and we read posts differently, but I can see how you grew frustrated. I agree w/ Kabalah1 - do you have a dr. that could prescribe some medz for cravings? (Do you have insurance?) If so, those medz that were mentioned work GREAT. I'm on a drug called Revia (in the same family as Naltrexone), and I have not had ONE craving. I made it through Christmas and New Years and everything! PLEASE PLEASE look into it. I don't consider it "weak" to turn to this drug - I call it SAFE.

Warm regards,

garsh 01-20-2006 11:27 AM

I am finding the opposite is true. If I have a glass of orange juice my sugar craving goes away. It seems to satisfy it and I don't crave sugar or wine.

michaelj 01-20-2006 12:02 PM

ORR,

I read your post quite carefully and you say that although you have been sober for quite a few months you are experiencing strong physical cravings for alcohol. I'm no expert but it sounds to me as though what you are experiencing are mental cravings. Physical cravings would presumably manifest themselves in sweating, shaking, shivering, gasping and so on. Is this or something similar affecting you. It would be most unusual for physical symptoms to remain present months after becoming sober.
Mental cravings can be dealt with through a number of techniques. You could try the Rational Recovery site, or SMART recovery. You could try one of the many sites that use CBT as a way of rationalising cravings and discovering what it is that is the root cause.
Your cravings should be decreasing in intensity and duration as you move away from exposure to alcohol and I hope that with help from one or other of the sites I have mentioned you are able to distance yourself.
By the way I have to take issue with the sugar = alcohol statement. They are not equivalent and do not affect the body in anything like the same way.
To make the bald statement that they are one and the same is at best misleading and at worst potentially harmful to people trying to live a sober life.
Best wishes
Michael

Chy 01-20-2006 12:30 PM

I know in early recovery I craved to but satisfied those cravings with sweets. I respect your dietarty habit now in recovery and tend to think that you still need some sugars in your body. How about trying natural foods, like fruits high in sugar? Additionally, I lean with Michael in that you need some means of support as well. Do you have that? Finding live support no matter what method you choose as well as being realistic in what you can and can't do in maintaining a healthy body may perhaps help you get back on track. One last thing, many with several experience Post Accute Withdrawal Symptoms. This may also help explain what your going through and you can find more information on that in the link in the Links and Resources forum.

fuguestate 01-20-2006 02:11 PM

I think I read the original post wrong. I read that s/he was having sugar cravings. And I would have no experience not caving into them. I only occaisionaly have them when I am occaisonally PMTish

meli2005 01-21-2006 08:20 PM

My AH has bipolar disorder and when that is out of whack his alcohol cravings are really high.

TRISH1011 01-21-2006 08:32 PM

Sugasnaps - can you come over to my place please? You sound so clean....:) And the place could do with a Spring Cleaning mood. Lord knows - I've never had a cleaning mood in my life ;)

Justme57 01-21-2006 08:35 PM

Hey ! trish I will go you 1/2 in SS fare , and we can share her lol

HUGX
Lee