Cravings

Hi Everyone

I'm nine days into sobriety and having sever cravings,
has anyone any suggestions as how to help eliviate
these in some way.

I'd like to add that reading the forums has already help me,
I realise now that there are many suffering as I and I thank
you all for the support.

Good Luck and a Sober New Year to you All.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I wish I had 9 days down

Keep it up!

This is the beging of my 4th day sober, and I know what you are going through. Do you remember how you felt on your 4th day? Right now I feel normal and hope I make it to day 9.

How I try to get around the cravings is, to eate more healthy food, stay on the cumputer longer, and treat myself to a nice sugar fix every now and then. My big test will come on my next day off. I would wake up, eate lunch, and start drinking wine for the next 6-7 hours and pass out. all by myself. Now to help avoid that sickness, I want to go to a hospital and visit older paitents that never get visitors. Maybe go to a homeless shelter and help feed them. The way I am going to try to replace my cravings is to help other people in some way. Easer said than done!

Well, please keep in touch, I think we can help each other through this. It is easier to be honest with a stranger. I never told anyone what I really do on my days off.

Hang in there,

Watson
Old 01-06-2003, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Exclamation

Here is some basic, common sense info that may help. If you need more support, PLEASE let us know.

"Alcohol is filling, so it displaces more nourishing foods in the diet. This causes malnutrition.

Alcohol causes thiamin (vitamin B-1) deficiency in particular, and a deficiency of many other nutrients as well.

Alcohol destroys the liver and brain gradually, but profoundly. This damage INCREASES the need for nutrients to repair these organs at a time when the drinker is eating fewer and fewer good foods.

Therefore, VITAMIN AND OTHER FOOD SUPPLEMENTS ARE ESSENTIAL for the heavy drinker.

Which ones and how much of each? I would recommend considering the following, based on the many works of Roger J. Williams, Ph.D.:

1. VITAMIN C may be taken to the point of daily saturation, which is just below the amount causing diarrhea. Vitamin C improves the metabolism of the toxic by-products of alcohol and, in large quantities, is a powerful antitoxin. It has also been shown to be effective against hepatitis. (Smith, L. H., ed. Clinical Guide To The Use of Vitamin C, Life Sciences Press, Tacoma, WA, 1988)

2. B-COMPLEX (50 milligrams [mg], 6 times daily) Beverage alcohol (ethanol, C2 H5 OH) is a simple carbohydrate supplying lots of energy and no nutrition. In this way it is a lot like sugar. Excess consumption of either sugar or alcohol is well known to increase our need for the vitamins necessary for their metabolism, specifically the B-complex vitamins. It is safest, easiest and cheapest to take the whole B-vitamin team together.

The B-vitamins, including much-needed thiamin, help correct a bad diet and also help level out low blood sugar problems. Hypoglycemia is often a factor in alcohol cravings. The body wants simple, quick carbohydrate and we erroneously satisfy that craving with sugar... or booze. Niacin (vitamin B-3) helps the body to calm down. The B-vitamins have been successfully used for decades by orthomolecular psychiatrists to relieve depression and psychoses. Watch what they can do to relieve the D.T.'s. Incidentally, you can create the symptoms of delirium tremens in laboratory animals without alcohol just by inducing B-vitamin deficiency.

3. CHROMIUM (200 to 400 mcg chromium polynicotinate or chromium picolinate daily) Chromium, deficient in 90% of all healthy people, is almost certainly wanting in the alcoholic's diet. Chromium improves your body's sensitivity to insulin, so you can do more with less of it. Remember that alcoholics consume huge amounts of simple carbohydrates. The last thing an alcoholic's body needs would be insulin-resistant cells.

4. L-GLUTAMINE (probably two or three grams daily) This amino acid has been shown to improve brain function in alcoholics, resulting in improved sleep, decreased anxiety and a reduced craving for alcohol.

5. LECITHIN (2 to 5 tablespoons daily) Lecithin makes up one third of your brain by dry weight. Lecithin also provides choline, which your body can make into the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. As with L-Glutamine above, this produces a feeling of well being and self-control so wanting in most alcoholics.

Additionally, lecithin is lipotrophic, which means it can help move fats about in the body. The fatty liver condition so common with alcoholics is likely to improve with lecithin supplementation.

6. Controlled VEGETABLE JUICE FASTING has been successfully used to clear out fatty livers, too. Juice fasting, along with large amounts of the B-vitamins and vitamin C, may be a real long-term help with cirrhosis of the liver. The liver can regenerate to a considerable extent; Max Gerson, M.D. says that it takes about 18 months to do so. It is no surprise, then, that the Gerson Therapy focuses on the liver and on raw vegetable juice therapy for it.

7. A HIGH POTENCY DAILY MULTIVITAMIN AND MULTIMINERAL supplement is needed as well. It should carotene, an antioxidant and safe form of vitamin A. 400 to 800 IU of vitamin E, 50 mcg of selenium, and 50 to 100 mg of zinc gluconate or zinc monomethionine would also be desirable.

8. A DIET OF GOOD VEGETARIAN FOOD and plenty of fresh vegetable juices is important. A vegetarian (or even a nearly-vegetarian) diet effortlessly ensures better health. More fiber and complex carbohydrates; less fat and sugar. No junk food!

I have seen this program work. I've personally observed how charitably dispensed vitamin supplements help street people. I've seen just wheat germ (a modest source of B-vitamins, among other good things) help those in prison. I've also worked with financially well-off alcoholics, and supplements help them, too. Booze and malnutrition have no respect for bank accounts.

Remember: many people want to stop drinking but can't UNLESS THEY HAVE THE BODILY STRENGTH TO DO IT. Since alcohol hurts the body, we have to first fight back with vitamins, and then we can reach our highest goals. Don't tell someone to stop drinking; EMPOWER them to stop drinking. Studies confirm it: good eating stops bad drinking."

REFERENCES:

Read more about it by tracking down the references that follow. If a book is out of print, as the older R. J. Williams books are likely to be, do ask your librarian for interlibrary loan assistance.

Balch, J. F and Balch, P. A. Prescription For Nutritional Healing, Avery Publishing, Garden City Park, NY, 1990, pp 75-76 and 138-140. (A fine, vitamin-friendly guide with dosage recommendations included.)

Gerson, Max A Cancer Therapy: Results of 50 Cases, Totality Books, Del Mar, CA (Don't let the title limit you: this is the complete instruction manual for the liver-restoring Gerson Therapy. A really outstanding work.)

Pauling, L. How To Live Longer and Feel Better, Freeman, 1986 (The best introduction and support for therapeutic vitamin use that I've ever read.)

Ray, O. and Ksir, C. Drugs, Society and Human Behavior, Mosby, 1990, chapter 9

Williams, R. J. Physician's Handbook of Nutritional Science, 1975
Old 01-06-2003, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on your nine days Gwyn.

One good things to remember about the cravings is that they will pass.

Just hold out and whatever you do dont use.

To deal with my cravings I drank a lot of water.I would just put the bottle to my head and chug until I could'nt drink anymore.

I went to a lot of meetings.I went early and helped to set up and make coffee and I stayed and chatted with other people in recovery.

I got phone numbers of just about everybody at the meeting and I was not afraid to use them.I would call people at three in the morning and I would talk until the cravings went away.Once I remember this guy even fell asleep on the other end.But I did not use.

Just hang on ok.

Remember the cravings will not last forever.

Peter
Old 01-06-2003, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Lightbulb

Ooops...forgot about the meetings. Thanks Peter!
Old 01-06-2003, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cravings

A few things that helped me through those first weeks, I drank a lot of Gatorade, went to a lot of meetings, ate some candy, and when it got really bad, I went to sleep.

Just remember the cravings will pass.

Jay Walker
Old 01-07-2003, 01:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Wow!

All that info was great for me too!

Thank You,

Watson
Old 01-07-2003, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Banned User

cravings

At the heart of alcohol addiction is the craving for sugar, and the inability of the body to stabilize blood sugar levels. The best thing for cravings is to smooth out the insulin levels in the body. This is best done on the Atkins diet, removing refined sugar, bread, and processed food from the diet. Eat protein for breakfast such ass eggs or meat,tukey,chicken fish whatever. No pastery, donuts, or sugary cereal or fruit. After all beer and whiskey are fermented with sugar.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I am on day 2. I quit last week, but slipped up over the weekend, so I began again yesterday. I am doing Atkins as well and so far am OK with the cravings. I did read posts about how the body needs sugar etc. and how some people have seizures, etc. when they quit drinking. Thus, I was a little nervous about doing Atkins at the same time, but so far so good.

This board has been a great inspiration for me
Old 01-07-2003, 09:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

cravings

Of all the horrors of detox, the only one that drove me back to the jug was that empty hollow in the middle of my head! That great echoing wilderness of reality. We need other sober drunks to help us with that. ...best to ya ..hang!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cravings

Congrats on 9 days. Peter is right. THIS TOO, SHALL PASS! If you just do the next right thing, the cravings disapate. I had to pray a lot as well. You are at what we call the "hump". You most likely feel better physically and your mind may be telling you that you are ok. It happens to almost every alcoholic in early sobriety. I came close a few times, luckly I have a great sponsor and a good homegroup. One thing that helped me was making a "tape",(a series of bad memories), of the horrible days of my drinking career that I could play when the disease tried to sneak in. I don't know about everyone else, but my final drinking days created a "tape" that makes the Sound of Music look like The Exorcist. "We do not wish to forget the past nor wish to shut the door on it." It is remembering how bad it got that helps keep me from going back. Keep up your meetings and talk to another alcoholic everyday, preferably your sponsor. That is the best advice I got in early sobriety. God's speed to you.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile

Thanks for the replies,

I'm now on my 28th day of sobriety, it's true my body and mind feel better but I realise I must not give in to any craving no matter how much better I think I am, some times I tell myself one night out won't hurt but I now as an alcoholic it can't be. The vitamins I'm sure help (gallons of orange juice) as does knowing that there are others in the same position.

Regards to you all and best of luck.

Gwyngyll.