Notices

A Million Little Pieces

Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

A Million Little Pieces

There are at least 4 people (alcoholics) I know who have read, or are reading this book. I actually have it here. Don't know if I will bother to read it. Just wanted to share some of what's been found. I didn't read everything on this link, didn't want to waste my time.

I believe we have all lived our own hell. I'm not sure I want to "share" in this mans "stuggles" and the "hope" that he is making it through. This book was labeled nonfiction, which is now in question.

Certainly, this man is not the best example of living in recovery. If he even is an addict!?!

Any thoughts??

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...amesfrey1.html
Old 01-10-2006, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

******{MISSY}}}}

Here's a big old HUGGIES for YOU!!!!!

Old 01-10-2006, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like James Fray because he is eight years sober without AA.

That to me gives me hope, as I dont prescribe to AA at all.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mill, he is actually 13 years sober at this point. He really is impressive, I agree with you.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was all not true?

Interesting.

Lying to make money is definitley wrong.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna
Mill, he is actually 13 years sober at this point. He really is impressive, I agree with you.
I remember that when I think: I cant do this!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes life does seem like it is just one big ole

BUT, MERRY GO ROUNDS can be LOTS of FUN! It is ALL in HOW I PERCEIVE IT! The POWER IS IN ME, AMEN!!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Five
I like James Fray because he is eight years sober without AA.

That to me gives me hope, as I dont prescribe to AA at all.
Mill, I'm curious! Just what do you "prescribe" to other than the fact that you don't have any use for AA? (I can't help but wonder just who you're trying to convince.) I think we've all gotten that point by now. I'm just not sure you have.

When Frey was on Oprah, he mentioned that he'd had his teeth worked on(caps, root canals, etc) without the benefit of anesthesia. I wonder what he's trying to prove.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music
Mill, I'm curious! Just what do you "prescribe" to other than the fact that you don't have any use for AA? (I can't help but wonder just who you're trying to convince.) I think we've all gotten that point by now. I'm just not sure you have.

When Frey was on Oprah, he mentioned that he'd had his teeth worked on(caps, root canals, etc) without the benefit of anesthesia. I wonder what he's trying to prove.
Fisrt off stop watching Oprah Secondly, if this Frey guy is full of it, so be it. Wouldn't be the first time someone has lied for personal gain. If what may be a contrived story still helps people, that's ok with me.

Also, I've been watching from the sidelines the recent debates over Five's posts. I don't think Five is trying to convince anyone to not participate in AA, anymore than some people are suggesting that others get in the program. Just another point of view. Which, by the way, is what I expectd the "Alcoholism" forum to contain, different points of view.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if you had read the book, you'd know that the reason he had his teeth done without anesthesia is because he was in rehab and was unable to have any sort of pain medication (including anesthesia) due to his drug & alcohol addiction (if you believe everything he wrote now).
Old 01-10-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I read the TSG pages and I did watch the original and the repeat of Oprah's show with James Frey.

I believe that in his mind as in most alkies and addicts minds what he wrote in the book is the way things happened.

However, I have found over these many years sober and working with others that how we perceive events that happened to us and the reality of the events can be greatly different.

I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that what I wrote and how I perceived it was the truth, the truth and nothing but the truth. However, when I started working on my amends list, I found out that many of the events I remembered were either not as bad as remembered or were totally different than I remembered.

I do believe it happened because of the "false reality" I lived for all those years I drank. Today, with almost 25 years sober and four 4th and 5ths steps under my belt, (more will be revealed, lol) I am well aware that the "truth" is much different than I perceived it those first 12 or so years sober. The longer I am sober the more "real" reality is revealed.

Who knows, maybe some day, when the "real truth" hits him, James Frey may write a sequel to this book.

In the long run for this alkie, and I suspect many others, I am the one that must live with the "truth" of my actions and events that occurred during those years of hell. Today, thanks to learning how to live sober by using the 12 Step program of AA, I can live with the truth.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by igfan
if you had read the book, you'd know that the reason he had his teeth done without anesthesia is because he was in rehab and was unable to have any sort of pain medication (including anesthesia) due to his drug & alcohol addiction (if you believe everything he wrote now).
I didn't have to read the book, that point was made. However, I have my doubts about any rehab center, which requires a person to endure the kind of pain involved in having teeth worked on such as in Frey's case. In addition, if that were the case, he could have waited until he left the rehab to have the work done. My point was and still is, what was his motive for going through the pain? What was he trying to prove? My contention is that he, like some people I've meat, believe that using anesthesia will take them back to drugs. What about having surgery, where they'll be cutting him open? Do the same rules apply? I'm sorry but this guy's got nothing I want! To receive a call from someone who's going through withdrawls and all he can tell them is just to "hold on." Hold on to what?? How many have died just trying to "hold on?"
Old 01-10-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by igfan
Sure he can't have pain medication, but what about novocane? That certainly does not fall into the category of drugs. I actually know a friend of his that is mentioned in his book (Julie, who went with her husband Kirk to visit James at Hazelden) and she said he has a history of "exagerating". She isn't even sure about the dentist story.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I haven't yet read the book, but my wife did. I liked the fact that she asked me a (very) few questions about recovery, and I was able to share a bit with her.

I am still having issue picking it up and reading it, as I feel this guy has totally capitalized on addiction and alcoholism. Not saying it's right or wrong, just not sure I support it... if he's fabricating stuff, I won't read the book. I've got my experiences and the ESH I hear in the rooms of AA ... that only costs me a buck if I choose...and I get coffee.

Ken
Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
((( ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY )))

Agree!!!!
A million little lies! Someone pulled his covers.
I read the book, and personally, I think hes a WEENIE with BIG MAN syndrome.
I knew alot of that was fabricated, and I wouldnt dislike him so much if he hadnt put dow AA/NA as much as he did.
----Looks like he needs the twelve steps now, *****!!-----
OOOPS sorry, lost some of my spirituality there.
Jennifer
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would say that anyone who writes a book about themselves would embellish to some degree. I don't read any autobiographical book and expect that every statement is completely accurate. For me, it's not about the stories, it's about the process. This is an alcoholic who became sober and has stayed sober for 13 years. I am very interested in the process he went through to accomplish this.

And, frankly I'm getting a little tired of people who haven't even read the book, making comments about it. Read it, and then comment!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I read the book. I found it to be far fetched that someone in his severe condition able to recall dozens of specific conversations, word for word, especially as he was withdrawing from coke, crack, alcohol, glue etc.

His description of treatment center program consisted of attending 3 meals per day, a daily lecture and a short session with his therapist. That was it, the rest of the day was his to do what he wanted?

I just found it to be less than real, filled with drama and not much substance or fact.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
learning

Hi anna,

I read the book and enjoyed it. But at this point, I think Frey might be lying about the 13 years sober as well. That's what happens when someone is caught lying, you begin to question what he or she tells you. He didn't embellish, to embellish there has to be something to embellish. He was never in jail.

What Frey did was make things up.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

FOB, that is not quite correct.

From Day 1 James had a 'job' to do which varied from cleaning toilets to making coffee. He checked the roster each day to see what he was to do. He also talks about attending numerous lectures, during which he would often play cards with his friends. I have not been to rehab, but I think that the atmosphere itself would be inducive to healing.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I prescribe to the Economist Magazine.

Other than that I just try and make sense of things as I go along - including recovery. I swore off drinking a long time ago.