Notices

A Million Little Pieces

Old 01-11-2006, 10:56 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Little Missy -

Don't be sorry for bringing the topic up. Addiction is a contentious thing all on its own, even without controversial books. One of the things I really like about this place is that we talk about all kinds of things, and we have all kinds of opinions. And we all manage - on the whole, I think - to get along. It's a community. We are all individuals. Those are both beautiful things. Parts of the whole... a whole made of parts, blah blah etc.

I appreciate that we have pretty much remained civil, and that we're talking. Talking is a good thing, so long as it doesn't decend into the mud-slinging realm.

never a dull moment...

--anne
Old 01-11-2006, 10:56 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Why do people want hero's and books that are infallible? It's never been the nature of things, there are no heros' just people who mostly have more compassion than we realise, from who we could almost certainly learn something but never everything, who will all behave wrongly sometimes, who will all show no compassion sometimes.

He wrote a book, which is time consuming and often not financially rewarding but his was, he found that out after the fact. Who knows what his intention was in writing it? Perhaps it was a good intention, to help, to offer something he thought he could, perhaps it was greed and wanting fame? Knowing whether what he wrote was 10, 20, 80 or 90% true won't change his intention in writing.

If the book has someting to offer - take it because whether he lied or not being a person means he doubtless has much to offer.

As for debating whether he lied, maybe that will be much easier in a month or two?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by j'ade d'arcy
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I loved his writing style and found that it pulled me right in. But I read it with the same open mind that I would read any book with. I did not elevate him to some kind of self help guru status and I don't recall him ever professing to be.

If he fabricated parts of his story, so be it. It is called creative license. This was a book of non-fiction by his account, but it is still a memoir. It was not written to be intended for use as part of some kind of "program". I found certain aspects of his experience helpful to my personal sobriety. Does it matter to me that he may have embellished parts of it? No, it does not.

Does it offend me that he is making profit through sharing his story. No, this also does not bother me, he is the one that has to balance that in his mind and it is really none of my business how he earns his living.

If you are in AA and this book bothers you because you do not relate to his way of getting sober, all I can say is that you should just not read it then. However, if you are not going to read it, I fail to understand how you can make an educated opinion about it. I don't see how some are making the argument that this man does not have "real" sobriety because he is staying sober without embracing the 12 step route.

What difference does it make why he had his teeth done without pain killers? What difference does it make if his recall of rehab is different than your own. I went to rehab with 12 other women and I'm sure we all experienced it in our own ways.

Who are any of us to validate someone elses sobriety, are any of us able to judge who has the "real" sobriety? Or is this a judgement that should be left to the individual. I judge my sobriety as pretty real, AA or not.
Nail. O lady, did you hit that nail on the head. Fantastic post.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by Music
I think the more appropriate title for his book would be, "A Million Little Dollars."
Hey!!! That was MY line!!!

ok, we can share...
Old 01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Reuters reports that Random House is offering refunds for the book.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/book...eut/index.html

Here is the CNN article about obtaining refunds.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Consipiracy theories abound. I know none, just making loads up in my mind.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Does this mean Santa isn't real?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:03 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sorry to break it to you...
Old 01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Oh no!!!!! ha ha
Old 01-11-2006, 12:28 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Dan

I'm keeping my copy.
The in between the lines stuff was worth the price alone...
You all remember that? In between the lines?
That's when you're sitting alone, reading a book, and your brain actually fires its synapses in such a fashion that you actually see something about yourself in the pages you're reading?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I'm keeping my copy too...It was well worth every penny I paid......
Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I don't like him. I didn't like his book, and I'm not surprised that he's fabricated some of it. I suppose I'll be the lone standout here.

I have to say again that I'm glad that people were helped - and are hopefully continuing to be helped - by his words.

I just don't like him, or the creative license people are willing to give him. Yes, its a memoir; it's also supposed to be real. Blah. I think that the fact that I don't like him makes me biased. After all, who am I to not like him?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I read the book while I was in the Caron Foundation (a treatment center in PA) this summer. I thought it was interesting but it didn't really have much of an effect on me. It upsets me that he seems to have been dishonest about whether the events depicted in the book really happened. I am not sure why it upsets me, I should take a look at that.

If the book helped you, let it keep helping you.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Wink

all fairness, is compare his bottom to mine.
Autumn of course you can't!! I'm sure yours is much cuter!

.... Sorry I'm a dork.. Just bringing out some humor
here........ Autumn, love ya girl! You sure did
make me laugh. (and yes, I did edit your post)
up there, took out a couple of words. lol

Lil Missy~Try not to let this upset you so much. This is just another
debate here that will pass. Whether or not James Frey is
telling the truth or is lying, we will all still be here at SR in
the end. It's not really our stuff so much as it is his.
I read some of the things people are saying on here and it
does upset me at first, and I think, How can they say that?
But then I just let it go and think Um,,,, okay..... It's just
each person's opinion. If you take what people here say personal,
it'll drive ya crazy....... I've skimmed through many of the posts
and just plain skipped some of them because I couldn't relate and
didn't agree. It's good to deal with other's opinions, it helps in
dealing with the rest of the world. Just listen and read and if
you want to, but don't be captive of their opinion. ;-)

JAMES FREY IS ON THE NEWS HERE TODAY AT 4:00!! I can't wait for the larry king interview!!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Oh btw~ Ya'll have got me so confused, I started reading it again last night!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:50 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

thats just it, for me..is what is his bottom line?

Is he sober cus he just doesnt drink or drug anymore?
Or does he actually maintain a physical, spiritual and mental recovery?

To me, the 3 fold's need be maintained, otherwise, your just dry.Which in my opinion means a person still suffers the same behavior of an active alcoholic/addict.

Just opining.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:01 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I got about 2/3 of the way thru this book....then I heard a lot of it may be fabricated. If it is, I'm pissed, and I'm not going to finish the book.

I'll be watching Larry King Live tonight. I'm very interested to hear what Mr. Frey has to say and until he has spoken I'm making no judgments.

If anyone is interested in a possible refund, read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/book...eut/index.html
Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Apparently the earlier Reuters report was incorrect. Random House will refund purchases of the book that were made directly from Random House, but it does that for all books anyway.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey there, Missy--I, for one, am glad you started this thread. I couldn't wait to get home from work tonight and see what everyone thought. Some interesting opinions, I think.

I got the book for Christmas and started reading it rather cautiously. I'd seen alot of the controversy already, both here and in some of the AA meetings I attend. I really liked the book. I couldn't put it down. The fact that there are people who say parts of it were fabricated doesn't change that. Why not? Because the parts of the book I really related to had nothing to do with whether or not he went to jail, how many meetings he attended, or whether he got drugs to have his teeth done or not. I related to the same things I relate to about other alcoholics any time I hear their stories. It was his thoughts, feelings, and emotional reactions that really spoke to me. I doubt if those were fabricated.

I know a lot of people were put off by his bad opinion of AA. That's all fine and good, but I hate to break it to Mr. Frey...... From what I read, he basically has worked all 12 since he got sober. He went to treatment, basically admitting he's an alcoholic which in my opinion is the first step. I'm not so sure about the 2nd and 3rd, but before he left he did an inventory and completed his fifth step with the priest. He made amends to his family and finally wrote this book, passing his message to alcoholics everywhere. Sounds an awful lot like the 12 steps to me.

This is all just my $0.02. Again, lil' Miss.....thanks for starting the thread!