Notices

Poor Charles Kennedy!

Old 01-05-2006, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Poor Charles Kennedy!

There's a UK politician, actually the head of the Liberal Democrat Party who has been challenged for his leadership.

A big factor is....it has been discovered that he is being treated for Alcoholism, to which he is going to ADMIT and 5.45pm today.

As one journalist said, the irony is that if he had remained a CLOSET alkie, he would have been better off.

That's just terrible. I mean in this day and age people are so ignorant about alcoholism - I mean, it's like addiction is perceived as WORSE much worse than any kind of moral failing!!! Poor guy, I wonder if people will ever become less judgmental and less ignorant about this condition.

It also, even more sadly, sends out such a BAD message to suffering alcoholics - ie that it is shameful and best you keep quiet about it!!!

Horrible.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cathy

I agree with you that society is still holding shame and blame on this disease, but perhaps Spirit is working right now within this situation. Often I think of high profile cases of the consequences of alcoholism and addiction as teaching examples for society. At the soul level, Charles Kennedy must be in accord with bringing his personal story forward and out front for all to process as a away to raise consciousness. I don't pity him. I support his recovery, and I do so publicly. (although nobody around here really knows who the bloke is)
Old 01-05-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat
At the soul level, Charles Kennedy must be in accord with bringing his personal story forward and out front for all to process as a away to raise consciousness.
Yes, MC, interesting...except that apparently he is only admitting to it now cause he was outed in the first place - and he has been denying that he has had a drinking problem for yearssss. Nevertheless, as you say there is something at work here, and for whatever reason he is coming clean and presumably he is in recovery (and it's not just spin!!!) so that's positive.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I believe it is a little better here in the U.S. Texas had a female govenor back in 92 by the name of Anne Richards. She is one "Pistol Packin Mama" and an admitted sober alkie. She was sober for about 12 years at the time she ran and she brought it right out in the open from the beginning of her campaign. I do not know if she used a 12 step program or what as she has never said.

I sure do admire and adore that woman, she is outspoken, doesn't beat around the bush and calls a spade a spade.

But yes Cathy you are right it is a damn shame that people in recovery from alcoholism and various drug addictions are treated so shamefully.

Hopefully, over time it will continue to change.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Michael

Cathy,
Like you I was appalled at Kennedy's treatment. I suspect that his alcoholism was made an issue by fellow lib-dems who wanted to force him to resign as leader. The Westminster Village has long known that Kennedy has had problems with drink and there has been a kind of conspiracy of silence around the issue. The fact that addiction to alcohol remains a social stigma has added power to the revelation today. Most people will feel sorry for the man, he appears to be a decent person who has been ill-served by fellow politicians.
What kind of a message does this send to men and women who are trying to quit as Kennedy is. There are undoubtedly politicians and celebrities and humble honest Janets and Johns out there tonight who will now worry about being 'outed' and stigmatised.
Never trust a politician
Michael
Old 01-05-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

There are liberals in England?

Seriously, these situations are deplorable, in that the individuals outed rarely seem to retain the same quality of respect they enjoyed otherwise.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781
I believe it is a little better here in the U.S. Texas had a female govenor back in 92 by the name of Anne Richards. She is one "Pistol Packin Mama" and an admitted sober alkie. She was sober for about 12 years at the time she ran and she brought it right out in the open from the beginning of her campaign. I do not know if she used a 12 step program or what as she has never said. ...
Yep, and guess who beat her in 1994?! She was self-admitted, he said he just quit on his own. Hmmmm....
Old 01-05-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don S
Yep, and guess who beat her in 1994?! She was self-admitted, he said he just quit on his own. Hmmmm....

I am a native Texan and lived all but two years of my life here. I was here both during the 92 and 94 elections. I can tell you that there were other issues involved in the Texas gubernatorial race besides alcoholism/addiction/recovery. There were political climatic changes happening here on a large scale. To say that Gov. Richards was defeated by then Gov and now President Bush based solely on addiction/recovery issues is erroneous in my opinion. Gov. Richards lost for alot of reasons. I hated it as I voted for her both times. I have never voted for Bush, so please don't label me in that light.

While I don't think we should suffer because of our disease, neither do I think we are entitled to any special treatment or consideration in life because of it. I as one recovering person just want to be treated like everyone else.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think he does have support for making the statement, but there's more to what went on recently. He was the leader of a party just gaining ground, lots of people (myself included) were looking to vote for them but his incompetance over the last year has effectively reversed that.

I hope he gets personal support and the tabloid dogs lay off but at the same time I think he has to give his party the ultimate decision about his job.

Last edited by equus; 01-05-2006 at 02:02 PM. Reason: incompetance not competance!! DOH!! lol
Old 01-06-2006, 12:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with a sentiment above - what encouragement is the treatment of Kennedy meant to represent to other alkies?

Cruel people in this world, many of them in positions of power (press and politicians)
Old 01-06-2006, 12:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree Equus he was totally incompetent, but as Philips says "what encouragement is the treatment of Kennedy meant to represent to other alkies."

God, people are just so judgmental!!!!!

And ignorant.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phillips
I agree with a sentiment above - what encouragement is the treatment of Kennedy meant to represent to other alkies?

Cruel people in this world, many of them in positions of power (press and politicians)
Let's wait and see. I only saw one cruel headline this morning, and that was predictably from a right wing tabloid - The Sun. I should think the Daily Mail will hold it's usual dose of hatred but then those two papers are reknown for it. The others (At least in headline) seemed more topic focused.

I think some of what happens will depend on how honourably Charles himself behaves. He says he hasn't had a drink in two months, but then he also has a history of denying any problem, like all of us drinkers or not it takes time for trust to return after lies and a failure to fulfill committments. If Charles can except that and personally do what is best for his party with dignity I think he may find he has a ground swell of support. If however he acts for what is best for him and holds the expectation that trust in him should be instant, I believe that attitude will ellicit a more negative response.

It's in the news - what the news does with it will depend. This morning there was a piece on alcoholism, one medical expert, one 'recovering' alcoholic. I think some good could come from that but I wish the one without the medical background had stayed within his personal experience rather than attempted to generalise (which in fairness to him he was asked to do!).

I'm not ready yet to say this is a bad thing - the play has really only just begun and where it goes will depend (I believe) largely on the players honour. The press will do as they always do, those that like to hate will hate, those who's reputation is reason will attempt reason, all of them will try to appeal to the populations that tend to buy their paper. Some will look for a 'catchy' angle.

Some of this will also be down to the 'proffessions' will they release comment? What comment?

It's only just begun and soon it'll pass - what happens inbetween I don't think we can know yet.

Also - some of this depends on how people read the situation. Charles was being repeatedly challenged regarding his competance BEFORE this admission. Logically to say his admission lost him his job is daft - it was pretty far gone while he was saying over and over again that he was a very moderate drinker - hardly drank at all. Alcoholism MAY have lost him his job but right now admitting it was his best chance to keep it!! He hasn't been hung yet. Only the dogs that bite everyone have bitten.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well put, Equus!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Perhaps this gives a bit of background:
BBC news 14 hours ago.

The difficulty is in knowing what damage drinking did to his career, what damage was done by his denial - including raising the issue of racial (Scottish) stereotype, which has possibly now STRENGTHENED that stereotype, and what damage has resulted from him seeking help. At this stage I don't think his addmittance can be logically seen as causing further damage.

My concern is that HE will do harm to percpetions of those with alcohol addictions by his behaviour, far more so than perception of alcohol addiction harming him.

I'm disturbed that he isn't willingly leaving, rather he choosing to take his party through more of this. I also don't think he is UNAWARE that he could do more to help the cause of people with drink problems by leaving and being open as to the harm DRINKING did to his career than to continue to blame damage to his career on those around him.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am wondering if he is really in any kind of recovery at all....remember all his denials over the years...and now to say he's not had a drink for 2 months...and what else????

Doesn't sound like any kind of recovery program - of any form. You know how us addicts can lie! And deny!!! And of course it affected his leadership - and taking the party through this is so ill advised and addict like!!

BTW just got a cool book from Amazon called "Denial is not a river in Egypt"!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

His ass is dragged through the media and he has the courage to front up and admit it, then say if you dont want me to lead this party then lets vote. Whilst "poor old" kate moss the super model got caught before she attended rehab, and is trying to start a new life 1000's miles away - who has more balls?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"He (Kennedy) said he was determined to continue to drink less..."

This does not bode well........

DENIAL

Don't Even Know I Am Lying
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mjln_1975
His ass is dragged through the media and he has the courage to front up and admit it, then say if you dont want me to lead this party then lets vote. Whilst "poor old" kate moss the super model got caught before she attended rehab, and is trying to start a new life 1000's miles away - who has more balls?
Yes I agree, but the more I read, he does not seem to have admitted anything! Going to drink less....PLEASE!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There is an inherent difference in the jobs Kate Moss and Charles Kennedy hold!! In the case of Kate Moss it all depends on her appearence in the case of Charles Kennedy his duty was to function intellectually.

Also by saying he will stand in a leadership election some possibly BEST potential leaders consider it dishonourable to stand against him - he knows that. The extent I would defend him ONLY depends on the extent I believe he is behaving with honour and can equal the demands of his post - he impresses me in NEITHER of these aspects.

Some of this stuff I spent a long time considering. My husband lost his job because of his drinking and depression, which was most involved I don't think it's possible to tell. However in writing an email to him saying he shouldn't worry about working his full hours then sacking him for not working his full hours I believe his employers acted without honour. In wanting to rehire him a week later I also believe that despite dismissal they saw he was capable of his job's demands.

HOWEVER even with that in mind I have NEVER supported my hubby in saying he was without blame, his actions DID play a part. My husband grumbled but ACTED with honour, he didn't fight the dismissal. When offered a new job he (I think) has again behaved well, he was open about being fired for not filling his hours and then took a further step in ringing his last but one good boss and freeing them to give an honest reference. These bosses liked him LOTS but knew he had problems. The result of their freedom (from freindship expectations) to be open was that part of his wages come as a bonus for full attendance, a longer probation BUT being employed by people who WANT him knowing he has had problems with depression and is still being treated. Drinking wise he hasn't spelt it out but near as dammit. He''s told collegues that stopping drinking has meant he has money for the first time and doesn't feel sick all the time. His bosses know he's tee total and it's a close knit, family based company, he's never been asked so hasn't been in a position to deny it, nor needed to to clarify - however it's safe to say he hasn't gone to any lengths to hide it! The result is he's BUILDING his reputation again on his own abilities and honesty rather than emotional blackmail and blaming others.

I care about this - I think it's relevent to anyone in the UK for whom alcoholism has effected their life. I care deeply about the damage Charles Kennedy could do to the expectations people have from alcoholics that no longer drink, I fear that Charles himself doesn't care about that quite as much as his leadership, I fear he will rather attack his own party than admit his own part in his career's state, I fear he will bank on the few that have honour to not stand against him because THEY care about alcoholism and him as a person, I fear he will not see that they would be the very best people to take over.

If he stood down with dignity he would still be an MP, free to speak more openly, free to rebuild much of what he's lost. People lose alot to alcohol, they can recover - he could show that in action as an MP.

If my husband had behave the way CK is behaving currently I wouldn't have supported his actions - partner or not.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

and now to say he's not had a drink for 2 months...and what else????
He also said he doesn't intend to drink in the future. He has admitted it was a battle that needed proffessional help - but he also said he considers it essentially resolved:
I've sought professional help and I believe today that this issue is essentially resolved.
Ref - http://politics.guardian.co.uk/libde...680140,00.html