Notices

talking to your doctor

Old 01-04-2006, 02:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

talking to your doctor

dose anyone else feel retecent about speaking to there doctor openly? i notice they wright down everything., like that episode from Seinfeld. this info can cause problems for you in the future. life insurance companys usually like to see a copy of your med records ect. can any one think of other possible implications?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As far as being reluctant to talk to your doctor goes, I've had problems in the past talking to them about alcoholism and other mental issues. Sometimes I've left the doctors/psychiatrists wishing I hadn't said something, but at the end of the day it depends on how much faith you have in your doctors ability to help you.

As for implications with Insurance Companies goes, I'm not sure to what extent they have access to regarding your medical records. I think it differs depending on where you live.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Its a good thing I never thought of that early in my sobriety so have been open with my doctors all these years.

Consequently when I really started having health problems, some of which are a direct result of all the years I drank, there was a progressive record which did assist in my finally getting my SSDI. Without that record I might still be fighting with the Social Security Administration.

Your doctor cannot help you if you are not honest with her/him.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 01-04-2006, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=savior93] this info can cause problems for you in the future. life insurance companys usually like to see a copy of your med records ect.

Isn't there something called "Doctor/Patient confidentiality?"
Old 01-04-2006, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Savior, try not to be so paranoid.

I'm completely open with my doctor. If something is bothering me, whatever it is, I tell him about it. He's there to help me.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Savior, life insurance companies can order APS (Attending Physician Statements) if they feel necessary before granting life insurance. But, thats not done always.

Peter, you are right, but when applying for liferinsurance, the company has you sign the HIPAA form allowing them to request dr records, if they deem becessary.

That info contained on drs notes, probably wont cause the anount of trouble as would
be caused by health issues that may complicate out of nondisclosure to your doc.

First things first I would say.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Take care of your health first, but if you are looking to apply for life insurance, you do need to be very careful. They can have access to ALL of your medical records (with your permission) for underwriting purposes, and if you say no, then they can just decline you immediately. I have been declined recently for Life Insurance (twice).
Old 01-05-2006, 02:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you for the info. i think i will make the app. anyway. i guesse if i get declined on life insurance i can always take the $100+ per month they were going to charge me and set it aside for my family. if i dont die in the next ten years that should at least help a little.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I never lied to my doctors...and I have life insurance that I got after i got sober.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was an alchoholic in denial for many years and my doctors never told me so, which was unfortunate. One doctor told me I drank a dangerous amount. At the time I felt that was a stupid thing to say. the truth is, like many doctors, he was more interested in impressing his patients than helping them.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
United States of Fugue

I guess you have to way up short term aid with long term consequences. If you feel that you can't cope in the short term then you will never reach long term goals. so don;t lose short term goals for long term ones. if, however, you feel that your long term goals are more important then don;t sacrifice them. you need to decide what is more important.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

For more on this topic, we had a similar thread a couple of months ago that included some good thoughtful comments.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...acy-78152.html

Toivo

P.S. I'm doing well. I just seem to be going from 5:00 am till 10:00 pm most days, so I don't get much time to visit here anymore.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

I think I have the world's best doctor. He truly exemplifies what all doctors should be. He talked with me for 45 minutes about my alcoholism. He never wrote down a thing. He listened, offered sound advice, and never judged me. I'm so glad I went to see him.