Notices

met up with my old drinking buddies

Old 12-31-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

met up with my old drinking buddies

Last night after an AA meeting I felt like I needed to get out of the house a little longer. I went to my old hangout(a friends house) And its just funny how you realize more when you are sober. I still like my old friends however, we really don't have much in common at all. We were talking about old times and "funny" stuff we did when we were wasted. I realized that a lot of those times I thought were funnny and I thought I was having a great time. I wasn't. I was either very sick or just worried that I was getting myself into trouble, or I was totally blacked out, so if I dont remember it, how could it be fun? I just have to say how thankful I am that I realized this all now. I feel so good in my sobriety and it is now my number one priority. When people said the saying anything you put in front of your sobriety you will loose, I dont think I understood it until now. When I was on the way home last night at about 1:30 the roads were really bad, I didnt realize the weather was going to turn to freezing rain. If I were drinking I probably wouldnt have made it home. I really had to focus while driving. With that I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year and I am soooooooooo happy to be sober today!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is funny how our old drinking friends, or just drunks in general seem a bit boring when we are sober.

I don't get the jokes either ......funny that

Its 12 MN here, so we are already in 2006 have a happy sober one!

Glad you got home safe and sound Draven

HUGX
Lee
Old 12-31-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't understand that saying either in the beginning. It was several months before it hit me between the eyes but in a different kind of way.

I lost a relationship just before I went to AA. Even though I met my SO shortly thereafter I was still mourning this other relationship on some level. That saying was said in a little different way. It was something to the effect that if you ask God to keep you sober, he will remove anything/anyone who stands in the way of that.

For me, had I stayed in the relationship I know that I couldn't have stayed sober. Sobriety wouldn't have been my first priority. Damn, bad as it sounds it is true.

I don't mourn it today. Plus I now have someone with almost 17 years who understands me so well and what I'm going through in early sobriety. I couldn't have asked for a better situation. I just asked God to keep me sober. He removed some major stumbling blocks that I DIDN'T ask him to in the process!!!

I have the "remember when" conversations with my friends too and I just shake my head. My best friend of 20 years has been through a lot with me but we have much more in common than just drinking so this is not a friendship I would sever but when we get around to the drunkalogs I try to keep it in perspective in my mind. We had a lot of good times in the early days when I wasn't yet an alcoholic but I remember what it was like at the end and how hopeless and miserable I was and that is what I keep in the back of my mind.

I love being sober today. It isn't always easy, but it is dang sure worth it!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-31-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

O yes....all my friends were drinkers when I was active,
Now I have new sober friends.

Most of my old drinking buddies died from untreated alcoholism.
A grim reminder for sure.

Think I will stay in sobriety!