Notices

did i drink that!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy did i drink that!

i decided to quit drinking the day after my birthday. i purchased a halfl bottle of rum , a full bottle of tequla, and a12 pack of ice house. i started at about 8am and ended ? is it humanly possible to drink this much? i was the sickest i have been in a long time. i ate for the first time today, and am slowly feeling better. i even made it to my Bikram yoga class today, but took it very easy on myself. has anyone else guzzled this muc in one sitting?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

p.s. this is day three for me.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking... sounds like you have a problem alright. The disease is progressive and it only gets worse.
I did know a guy who used to drink himself into a coma. I met him in rehab. He never did really quite gain full consciousness. He was in a daze for months and he eventually killed himself by jumping infront of oncoming traffic while drunk.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congrats on quitting.

Do you have a plan to stay sober?
Quitting is something I could do alone......to stay quit I needed a recovery program. AA works great for me!

I usually drank in bars because I never wanted to know how much I drank.
My guess is a quart of Vodka or Scotch per day for 5/6 uears at the end of my active alcoholusm.

Blessings...
Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Welcome ((((savior)))

Glad you made it here. It really doesn't matter how much we drank only that we did enough of it you earn us a chair here. The amount you drank doesn't mean anything. Hope you get in another 24hours. Keep posting...
Old 12-29-2005, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA helped me to stop consuming vast quantities of alcohol.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Terrifying isn't it? One thing that always did puzzle me was the bragging about how much alcohol people could drink in one sitting and the keeping of bottles like they were trophies. Even though I am alcoholic I could still see that was pretty sick.

Good to see you think so too. Keep posting, read a lot, this is a great forum for help, support and education.

love brigid
Old 12-29-2005, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks to all who responded. i plan on staying in touch here as much as possisble. i also intend on nightly classes of the bikram yoga. that was my drinking time. as for aa i did go to a few mettings but was usually creeped out.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by savior93
....as for aa i did go to a few mettings but was usually creeped out.
Hi savior....

Like Carol said, you can quit on your own, but having a plan in place is important. Recovery is hard work. There's so much more to it than just quitting.

At the top of this forum is a link to AA alternatives. A few of those also conduct face to face meetings; Women for Sobriety, SOS and Smart Recovery do.

Meetings aren't necessary either though, unless you find human contact with recovering people is important.

It's ok to design a program that works for you. I'm just over 100 days abstinent, and still perfecting mine!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

never drank that much. most of a bottle of vodka was tops for me. maybe thats why I am still alive.

every time we binge we damage our bodies in ways that can not be fully repaired. be good to your body -- its the only one you've got.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
every time we binge we damage our bodies in ways that can not be fully repaired. be good to your body -- its the only one you've got.
VERY good advice. Once I got my blood tests back from the dr. at detox, they were icing on the cake that I needed to stop. If you're drinking THAT much, you may wanna do the same thing. It'll open your eyes.

Any day sober beats any day drunk. Trust me. Your body will thank you in the long run! YOU CAN DO IT!

Keep posting,
DG
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks to all who responded. i plan on staying in touch here as much as possisble. i also intend on nightly classes of the bikram yoga. that was my drinking time. as for aa i did go to a few mettings but was usually creeped out.
AA creeps you out, but consuming a massive amount of alcohol, making your body sick and slowly killing yourself doesn't? Hmmm.... to each his/her own...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

has anyone else guzzled this muc in one sitting?
I've had sittings that lasted a week...
No matter how much I drink, really.
It's the person I become when I drink that is the problem.

And just in case you're thinking that this mondo hangover you got will be the deciding factor whether you drink again or not, don't waste your time. If you have what's called alcoholism, you will drink again, unless you address the reasons that compel you to consume alcohol the way you did.

Welcome to SoberRecovery
Old 12-30-2005, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Michael

Welcome Savior,
I hope you find the advice and support here that you will need to remain sober. I never kept score of the amount I drank, I was usually too busy hiding the empties and covering my tracks. I think I was scared to count as that would have been an indication of the size of my problem. Weird.
Michael
Old 12-30-2005, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh yeah -- how do you purchase half a bottle of Rum???? :bbm:
Old 12-30-2005, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab, I met a woman who only drank light beer, yet she was an alcoholic. I also met a man who could sit and drink a gallon of vodka. I met several people who at one time would have sold their mothers for some coke or some meth. It was then that I learned to relate, not to compare myself to others. What us addicts share (the pain), no matter what the substance or the amount, is what we can learn from, our common suffering.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chy

Sweety that ain't nothin! Since it's day 3, 4? Don't sweat it, what matters is your doing it now, your past just may be your greatest asset. I know, I didn't get it either when I first heard it.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
AA creeps you out, but consuming a massive amount of alcohol, making your body sick and slowly killing yourself doesn't? Hmmm.... to each his/her own...
Please don't make this common mistake...just because a person thinks/believes/recognizes/(whatever..) that a program isn't for him/her that he/she doesn't realize the serious nature of the problem. AA is not for me either, as its repeated mention of "god" in its 12 steps is enough to turn me off, but I realize I have the need for help from fellow human beings. We all have our own paths to follow, let's not take someone down for choosing a different one.

Take care.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

well MooMooBeer it is easy to buy half a bottle of rum. it contains 1/2 a liter. furthermore i am not creeped out by AA as much as i am disturbed by my drinking. i just dont think AA is for me. today is day 5 and i am feeling much better. i think the hour and a half of yoga in 105 degees with 40% humidity is cleaning me out a bit. thank you for all your replies snarky are not!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Savior, what better birthday present to give yourself than the gift of sobriety. I drank massive quantities like what your talking about on weekends when I could get rid of my kids. I would spend entire weekends in blackout/passed out drunks. Come Monday I would have to drop that to my usual pint a night and God what torture that was. The shakes, puking, crapping. I couldn't eat for days. I shudder now when I think of what I put my body through! I'm glad you made it through and hope you stay with us!

My first sponsor started drinking again in Feb of this year after being sober for a year. We will be burying her on Tuesday. I don't want to end up like that. When people from the program went to her daughters to see what we could do and what she needed she said "She just needed her mom back." I don't want my kids saying that.

Good luck on your journey regardless of how you decide to take it. I use AA. They saved my butt and have become my second family but to each his (or her) own. I realize we are all different. What matters at the end of the day is whether or not you managed to stay sober that day.

Hugs,
Kellye