Notices

Ice-skating uphill.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Ice-skating uphill.

As I type this I'm talking (over IM) to my brother and a friend of mine who are back in the United Kingdom. I'm currently living in America with my wife and we'll soon be returning.

My friend is drunk out of his mind and taking the pi*s out of my brother because he won't drink. I really hope my brother won't give in to this because over the last few days he's been complaining that his liver and kidneys were in agony.

Two days ago I found out that another friend of mine, who's mother was an alcoholic, died in the hospital because her liver gave in.

I've already been in the hospital with alcoholic jaundice because my liver began shutting down due to me drinking heavily whilst on medication.

My brother and practically all my friends are alcoholics back in the UK. I'm feeling rather worried at the moment because I know how hard it is trying to lay off the alcohol when you have someone drinking it up right in front of you.

I know that when I get back to the UK I have all that to look forward too as well.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nothing changes if nothing changes...

For me, it was drink until I die, or stop drinking -- which will you choose?

My choice was to put down the beer, and get my ass to AA.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not drinking, neither is my brother because he's worried about his health. What concerns me is that there are people around him that are constantly throwing it in his face and I'm in America and can't do anything to help him.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dms

Being around people who still use while in early recovery or sometimes at any length of sobriety is VERY difficult (I have no experience on the latter). It has to be up to us to, as in our case or your bros, to maybe not talk to the guy right now. Maybe if the urge passes you can resume but for me if I was talking to somone I knew was drinking the urge would be pretty unbearable. Your decision on who you choose to speak with is of course your own, and I know from personal experience a tough one. Maybe just stop on the AIM for a bit??

Wishing you strength
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Drencom

You even IF you were in the UK, you couldnt stop him drinking if he chose to do it. All yyou can do is pray, and hand it over to your HP.

As for yourself, when you return there, stay out of the old environment, and get to meetings. It is your choice, and by even entertaining those thoughts you have posted, you are setting yourself up to pick up.

For me, I dont drink under any circumstances, and I go to meetings whether I want to or not

HUGX
Lee
Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AA meetings are where I learned how to deal with difficult situations.

Not drinking is good but reccovery is great!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Good to hear you and your brother are not drinking. I quit with my brother, or not actually with him but at the same time, without either of us knowing about the other. Then when we both rocked up to a hotel for dinner together and I went to the bar he ordered a lemonade and I ordered a water, we were both shocked at each other. So we had our tight little pair of sober alcoholics to keep each other company and discuss issues.

He has since returned to drinking. I really don't see him enough to know if it is a problem, but what I do know is that it made me question whether I needed to stay sober. This was after about 5 years, so the question really raised its head at me big time. I did decide to keep with not drinking, the reality was that life was better for me without it and the gamble was NOT worth the risk to me. I had to make my decision for myself NOT because of what my brother did, regardless of the love and affection I have for him. I have had to accept that his choice is his choice and I can't do anything to change that except stay sober for him. I was really depressed at the time he went back to it, but have gotten through it.

I make my choices for myself, I avoid places and people that make me uncomfortable unnecessarily or for the wrong reasons. I sometimes feel uncomfortable for the right reasons. Now I know the difference.

Stay strong, I have found it worthwhile, a much better journey.

love brigid
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I called up earlier to see what was going on, he went and had a few pints. But he drank Guiness instead of Strongbow cider... lol. He wasn't drunk by any means which is a good thing. He's making an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow morning so I hope everything is okay with him.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

example

one of the best things you can do for your bro is to be a shining example to him that a live of sobriety is valid, full, meaningful...and possible!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Beer is beer. Support him and let him know you love him no matter what but you want him to get help.