Notices

Advertising?

Old 12-19-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advertising?

I was flipping through a magazine today and an alcohol ad caught my eye.

It caught my eye because of the tagline at the bottom of the page which read "IT MAKES YOU IRRISISTIBLE".

For some reason, it made me laugh out loud, it's such a strong statement and such a blatant lie!! At least for me that is, booze never made me all that irrisistible, quite the opposite in fact.

I just find that during this time of year between the copious amount of christmas ads there is a major sprinkle of alcohol ads as well. Both of them get to me by about this week of December. I think it's consumerism overload. It felt good to be able to laugh this ad off and not have it trigger feelings of cravings. If anything, for some reason, this ad strengthened my resolve!!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're right., it made me laugh the second I read it.

Alcohol made me a lot of things. Irresistable was not one of them.Neither did I find anything Irresistable about an inebriated woman. If I did trust me it was not the alcohol.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

theres a great country song called alcohol, by brad paisley. it gives a better description.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know the ads I have always found amusing are those ones for Coors which have the college kids dancing, partying, having a great time; and then at the end of the commercial it says "Please Drink Responsibly".....THERE"s one I've always smirked at.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=SPF 77]"Please Drink Responsibly"

It doesn't tell me how. I just never could get the hang of responsible drinking. Is there even such a thing? Hmmmm!!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

draven85: theres a great country song called alcohol, by brad paisley. it gives a better description.

That song is PRICELESS. Really points out the ridiculousness of it all.

"I make all of the bars lots of big money..."

and

"You've had some of the 'best' times you'll never remember with me...ALCOHOL"

Ugh.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

There is no lie to small or large if it serves the godz of capitalism. Makes one wish that communism actually worked.

Hange in there, j'ade. Consider yourself one step up on the lemmings following that one to sea.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-21-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good post JD. Now that I've been 25 days sober and my mind has started clearing up, I've been thinking about alcohol advertisements. Alcohol causes more problems than I was even aware of until I experienced them first hand, and yet we allow advertising that glamourizes it. I'm all for free enterprise, etc., but to allow this when less harmful drugs are illegal (not that I support their legalization) seems ludicrous.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Marketing glamorises lots of things, alcohol, junk food, holidays, mobile phones. There is not a lot of truth in marketing. The benefactors are the companies, not us.

Play safe