Notices

Anxiety

Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Have been sober for awhile....still getting anxiety....how long will this <explicit> last?

Also, how long do these damned cravings last.....tonight was especially rough....tomorrow is probably going to be even worse (going to a party...booze will be probably be served).

Any answers??

Thanks.

SPF
Old 12-16-2005, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Good Morning ((SPF)) I don't know how long you have been sober, but the holidays can be rough on us. This will be my 2nd Christmas sober and I don't have near (if any) the desire to drink.

Anxiety I do have. I take meds to help control that. Still get alittle anxious about some events. This is normal, IMO. Still learning how to handle situations without drinking.

Time will help. Be patient with yourself!!
Missy
Old 12-16-2005, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SPF,
What was the last time you had a talk with you HP? And, how much do you trust you HP? Fear and anxiety are caused by a lack of faith and trust.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi SPF, the SR folks really helped me with my Holiday party, they had great advice, I followed it and it worked.

I'm not sure what anxiety is, but I have lots of feelings I deal with; anger, saddness, flustration, etc. I have to do a lot of talking with myself, tell myself to stop doing negitive thoughts and move to positive. I ask God to help, think about positive things I can do in the future. I don't think my negitive thoughts will completely go away, but with the help of SR, I seem to be dealing with it better.

Hang in there.

Z
Old 12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My cravings left at 2/3 months sober.

Check out....

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

You can do this...Blessongs
Old 12-16-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well in three hours I leave for the party.....this will be the first "Christmas Party" I will try to do sober....not sure how well it will go.

I felt good today...but the cravings never would start until nighttime anyway..so we shall see how it will go.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I had anxiety problems before addiction. Now I have both. Good luck at the party. Maybe you can leave early if it gets too tough.

DK
Old 12-16-2005, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

SPF:

Remember we are all there in that party with you, in spirit, giving you strength to do the right thing. If you need to leave in order to not drink, then leave.

We want to hear how it goes tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
SPF:

Remember we are all there in that party with you, in spirit, giving you strength to do the right thing. If you need to leave in order to not drink, then leave.

We want to hear how it goes tomorrow.

I've been debating this....maybe just showing up saying "hi" to some people...and then slipping out early. But, there are going to be some people there that I haven't seen in a while, and this includes a couple of good drinking buddies from college. This is why I'm really worried about tonight.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

If you don't want to drink and value your sobriety you won't. You can stay strong and if the anxiety get's overwhelming just leave. You don't owe any explanations but I've learned to do whatever it takes to avoid situations that cause me anxiety as my sobriety is extremly important to me and the foundation for a healthy and happy life.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alright all, wish me luck....

I'll let ya'll know what happens.

SPF
Old 12-17-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know alot of people who turn to alcohol to combat mental conditions such as anxiety.

SSRIs such as Paxil, Prozac, Effexor can help, but sometimes they can make the condition worse.

Valium or Ativan could help with anxiety, although doctors aren't overly keen on prescribing those because of their addictive properties.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I made it sober through the party last night.....I should be proud of myself but I dont feel really proud....more just like "I did it, got through it, its done". I seem to have this attitude alot anymore.......<sigh>.

SPF
Old 12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

OK!

AA meetungs are good for the blahs.
They keep me in focus.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi spf, that makes 2 of us that made it past the party without drinking, for me it is a big deal, and I'm happy for you also.

hang in there.
Z
Old 12-18-2005, 06:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

((SPF)) That is great!! Glad you made it through it!!

I still have those feelings: got that over with!! But you did do something the is not normal for you, so you can be happy about that!!

I try hard not to be "proud" of myself, just happy with the outcomes of situations. Being grateful that I was able to handle it sober. Keeps my ego in check!!

Congrats,
Missy
Old 12-18-2005, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe that's not such a bad attitude to have. You made it through, that's the important thing.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Little Missy
((SPF)) That is great!! Glad you made it through it!!

I still have those feelings: got that over with!! But you did do something the is not normal for you, so you can be happy about that!!

I try hard not to be "proud" of myself, just happy with the outcomes of situations. Being grateful that I was able to handle it sober. Keeps my ego in check!!

Congrats,
Missy
Thanks Little Missy and Zimmer, your posts helped cheer me up. ..its been one of the "rougher" weekends...

I am grateful that I was able to stay sober at the party...but I ran into some old drinking buddies there who were drinking and they seemed to be having a great time....better than I was having. And I have to admit I was very envious.....I stayed sober but was rather depressed all day yesterday.

Whatever happened to the days of "wine and roses" eh?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by collinsmi
Maybe that's not such a bad attitude to have. You made it through, that's the important thing.

Yeah, and that's how I'm looking at it...but.....
I guess I thought going in that if I made it through I would be very happy at myself, be all "cheers and celebration" time. But instead it was just so odd to feel really nothing....like "I did it....oh well". It just wasn't what I was expecting I guess.