Notices

Yearly Christmas Party

Old 12-14-2005, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yearly Christmas Party

Well the yearly Christmas party is here, I will be going to show I am a team player. Drinks will be there but not everyone will be drinking, I plan on being one of the non-drinkers this year, after many years of being a member of the drinking bunch, this will be a little different. I currently at 19 days of being sober.

I always thought it was cool that some people would be at the party, and not drinking, yet they were having a good time. So I plan on being that kind of a person this year.

I have been thinking through my excuses for not drinking, "Not tonight I am driving" or maybe just saying "No Thanks".

Again thanks to the SR bunch for all your help, just wondering, how did you get past your first drinking social event?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zimmer
Again thanks to the SR bunch for all your help, just wondering, how did you get past your first drinking social event?
I went with two of my "non-drinking" friends.

I went late and left early.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan, I know just the friend to take.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here are some ideas that kept me sober during social events...

Go late Leave early Take your own car.

Take a non drinking friend with you.

Carry your AA phone contacts to use if you get antsy.

Dance a lot.

Get your own drink and keep it with you.
A 7 up + Line looks alcoholic.

Smell before you drink...glasses do get switched.

When asked if you want a drink...
"No... this is fine..thanks"

No explainations are needed.
Sober people seldom push
Drunks won't remember or care

Ebhoy Zimmmer...
Old 12-14-2005, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol, 7up and Lime, that sounds like a winner.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Zimmer,
Good luck and let me know how that goes. I've got a few parties I'm not looking forward too. Thanks for bringing the issue up and thanks for the shared advice everyone. (CarolD: Drunks won't remember or care.)[I] That's a good one...
Old 12-14-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

how did you get past your first drinking social event? ~

Lots of prayer & thinking about all of the blessings I had received since being sober ( I have been sober for 3 3/4 years). Congrats on your sober time!!!!! Stay strong. I will be praying for you.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

zimmy & try..
Last night I went to my company Christmas dinner. Last year I went and did not remember driving the fifty miles home. Last night I went with a co-worker who does not drink. It was the most fun I can REMEMBER having at a company dinner. I like it better this way. And I'm not feeling envious of the drinkers at the party. I'm starting to see that the rewards of sobriety far outweigh the struggles associated with quitting. Hang in there you two can do if I can do it. We all have this in common WE CAN NOT TAKE THAT FIRST DRINK!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

tkdan,
that's awesome. you've given me hope. i've decided to use that guilty moment the next morning when you don't know what you said to who the night before as inspiration as well. i always hated feeling that way. it's too much to worry about on top of the hangover. glad things went well and the drive home was safe this time. good job and keep it up!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

The first one... arrived late and after seeing (looking to see) how those who were already (3 n 0) 3-4 drinks up on me were acting, the rest of the night became easy. gee I remember action like that... what an A** I must have been. No more for me.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This year was my 2nd sober holiday party. What a difference a year makes. Last year I was all worried about what people would think, what excuses would I come up with etc. How I got through it was, I took my SO with me (he has almost 17 yrs sober). I gave away my drink tickets right off the bat after we used two of them to get cokes. Nobody really asked me anything. Ginger ale looks a lot like booze too by the way.

This year it was such a non-issue! I took my SO with me again and happened to be seated at the table with my boss and my Sr. VP both of whom I've told in confidence that I am a recovering alcoholic. Nobody at the table was drinking. I don't know why and I really don't care, the main thing is I knew why I wasn't drinking! It does get easier with time.

When I go into social situations now I do several things:

1) Pray
2) Determine if I am spiritually fit and if I have the proper motivation for going - if not I don't go
3) Call my sponsor before, during and after if I need to
4) Try to take my SO with me
5) Remember why I choose to be sober today and what it would be like if I picked up that first drink. I would be deposited right back into the hell I crawled out of last year. No thank you.

Hope this helps!
Kellye
Old 12-15-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have an out! Take your own car, phone numbers of AA members who you can call if you get squirrely, go late and leave early, eat a good meal before you go.

Is it mandatory you go? With such a short time sober, it could be a slippery place for you....

Also -- keep your drink in your hand, don't set it down and go back for it later -- could be a different drink or someone may dump some booze in it for fun -- also, get your own drinks so you KNOW they're non alcoholic....

Just thinking off the top of my head -- most of all, if you feel up to it and secure in your sobriety -- have FUN!

Ken
Old 12-16-2005, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks a million to everyone who responded. Peter, Carold, try, Sugar, tk, best, Kelly, and Nomore.
Yes I made it, no booze, and had a good time. I thought about everything you were telling me. I sat with the one other person that was not drinking, kept a glass of water with limon in front of me. Several of my close working buddys did join us and were surprised I was not drinking, but did not press the issue. I feel really good about the evening, and I owe so much of it you youall's encouragement.

Thanks again.

By the way the buffet food was really bad and still gave me indigestion. I feel sorry for the folks pouring beer and wine on top of it.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Who catered the buffett?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Zimmy
Good job!!! I'm happy for you. Today is my 20th day and out of the blue I got the urge to drink. I don't think I came too close, but I found myself reasoning about it. I finally snapped and seen how stupid my reasoning was and the desire left me. This was weird because up to this point I have been able to block out any thoughts of alcohol during times I would normally drink. I guess I should expect it to sneak up on me when I least expect it. I know this is a little off the subject, but I was too lazy to start a new thread. Again way to go, those parties can be tough. Sound like you handled it well.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Chris, who catered teh buffet, the same folks that brought 30 bottles of wine (for 40 people) opened every bottle and left them on a table for everyone to help themselves. Talk about pushing a life style.

Hi tk - you and I have stopped for close to the same time, I'm about 10 days ahead of you, I get the urge from time to time. I have given myself many pep talks, gone over the list of reasons I originally had for stopping, when over all the things that are better now. It has not been easy, but I think the pay off is huge.
Hang in there, we can do it.