Notices

Going back into the work-force after treatment

Old 12-13-2005, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dms

Wink Going back into the work-force after treatment

Hi all

I am a new member. I wondering if any of you had any advice for me. I am returning back to the workplace soon. Question, without disclosing too much to a perspective employer how should i answer questions regarding my leve of abscence without hurting my chances? Should I be honest? Do I say it was a personal issue and leave it at that?

Thanks for any help!

Hope everyone here is well.

Easy does it....but DO IT!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dms,

Welcome!

On the one hand I believe in being honest and that's a big lesson I learned when I became sober. Lying was something I learned as a coping mechanism when I a small child and it became a part of my life. I am glad to have gotten away from it!

On the other hand, I don't think people are sympathetic or understanding to those of us with addictions. I think there is a lot of prejudice. If I were you I would say as little as possible. I don't know how long your leave of absence was and how long you were out of work. Yes, if I had to say something, I'd say it was a personal issue. That's a bit iffy though because it could mean so many things. Hopefully if you said that, the discussion would end at that point.

I wish you well.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, dms, welcome to SR.

I, too, took a leave of absence from work to deal with addiction issues. I stated that the reason for being out of work was to take care of an ill family member (me!) and I had no trouble with that. It worked out fine.

Congrats to you for taking care of yourself. That's a huge step and I am proud of you for doing what you needed to do. Now, do you have a plan for your recovery? I find that AA meetings keep my recovery top priority in my life.

Again, welcome. Glad you're here.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dms

thanks for the warm welcome anna51. it is a very tricky situation. i agree with you on others opinions regarding addictions.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dms

Originally Posted by Phinneas
Hi, dms, welcome to SR.

I, too, took a leave of absence from work to deal with addiction issues. I stated that the reason for being out of work was to take care of an ill family member (me!) and I had no trouble with that. It worked out fine.

Congrats to you for taking care of yourself. That's a huge step and I am proud of you for doing what you needed to do. Now, do you have a plan for your recovery? I find that AA meetings keep my recovery top priority in my life.

Again, welcome. Glad you're here.

Hi Phinneas! Thanks for sharing your story with me. I attend AA meetings and am looking for a sober (dragging my heels a bit on that on) The problem is I was fired from my last job due to my alcoholism and have been out of work for 7 months. This will be an interview for a new job at a different company......
Old 12-13-2005, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dms

I meant I am looking for a sponsor
Old 12-13-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

More importantly
Welcome to your new sober life!

I told my prospective employers that I was a recovering alcoholic....on the applications there usually was a place for Interests/Hobbies.

I put down AA. Some commented... some did not.

I never wanted a job that did not want me.

I did not go to a treatment center...so I had no time lapse to explain.

Keep in touch...Blessings
Old 12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it is a current job most employee assistance programs through human resources can protect you. In your case it is best to take the advice from Phinneas and others here. It may not be the overt reason you don't get the call after the interview but may be the real reason, even if it is just angst about disability coverage and your health insurance plan. I don't like to encourage anyone starting off with an employer to go in with less than the truth, but alot of folks see alcoholism as a character weakness, so you may have to adjust accordingly. Good for you on your treatment and best of luck with the job search
Old 12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dms

Thanks Carol!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dms

thanks for the advice Gideon. I am really anxious about it but will do a little praying today and tomorrow for some guidance. I am leaning towards not disclosing that I am in recovery. I totally agree that others do no see alcoholism as a disease and merely a weakness of character. I may just leave it at I had some personal issues that interferd with my job and i have been resolving those issues during my ime off....
Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DMS --

Good luck! I'm also in the job search. It can be stressful, but I am trying to embrace a new change and a new beginning. My confidence has been somewhat shaken, but the longer I'm sober, the stronger I feel. For you reason for your absence from the workforce, I like the taking care of a sick relative or you had a family emergency you had to take off for -- but all is well now!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Kathy
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dms

MNGirlyGirl - I am going in with the attitude that no matter the outcome it is just good to get myself back out there (in the workforce). Ive been having a tough time getting motivated to do anything in the way of job searches. If anything it's good experienceto just interview right?!!! Thanks. I'll post tomorrow and let you guys know how it went...
Old 12-13-2005, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Something else you can do, I did it and many of my sponsees have done it is go sign up at Manpower and Kelley and other Temp Places. The trick with them is to CALL THEM every morning and every AFTERNOON about 4pm. that way they get tired of you calling and give you some temp work.

Many have found full time excellent jobs starting out as temps. Also, it helps to cover your lapsein work history for "family emergency" as you were still working when you could. The employer gets to see you in action and if impressed hires you. By then they already know your qualifications and the application is just cursory.

Just a thought, Hope it helps.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 12-13-2005, 05:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey, good luck on the interview dms. Not much else I can add to what has aready been said.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dms
. If anything it's good experienceto just interview right?!!! Thanks. I'll post tomorrow and let you guys know how it went...
Exactly! Your job is to do the footwork. It's the job of your HP to put you where you need to be, when you need to be there.

Check back in and let us know how it goes. We're pulling for you!
Old 12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

See if this might be of interest...I have not used it.

It was given to me as a place for recovering people to find work.

http://www.craigslist.com/
Old 12-13-2005, 07:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=dms]Hi all

I am a new member. I wondering if any of you had any advice for me. I am returning back to the workplace soon. Question, without disclosing too much to a perspective employer how should i answer questions regarding my leve of abscence without hurting my chances? Should I be honest? Do I say it was a personal issue and leave it at that? >>

I too am recovered, and if I was in your sitation...I would say. That you took a leave of absence to take care of a sick family member. That's not lying, your in your family and you were sick. Leave it at that. Thats an acceptable answer without saying too much.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DMS
Keep your head held high.As someone said your HP will take care of you.The right job in the right place at the right time will come. you'll know it!Good luck I'll be praying for you.
Bob
Old 12-14-2005, 10:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dms

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the much needed support. As I suspected, we spent a good deal of time going over the leave of abscence. As mentioned, I told the interviewers ( 3 of them, and thats just the begining of the process! fun, fun fun!!) that I had a family emrgency and have spent my time away from the work-force to concentrate on that, and that I have dealt with it and am eager to return to work. No idea on the outcome but it felt really good just to get out into "the real world" again.

Thanks again to my friends on the soberrecovery boards. Hope you are all well, safe and healthy!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good stuff dms, yes it is good to be back in the real world, interacting with folks after the fog has cleared is quite interesting. Hope the job search works out and do keep us posted.