Notices

In light of all the insanity...

Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In light of all the insanity...

I will be taking a break from Sober Recovery. I must say that the arguing and "I'm right you're wrong" posts have gotten ridiculous, and it's very sad. Sad because if someone gets offended personally and holds a resentment, that resentment could very well cause a relapse.

Folks, we are all dealing with life or death every day. Please remember that.

I love you all, but feel that a break is needed.

PLEASE do not hesitate to PM me if you need to chat, I will be alerted via email and will certainly reply.

Ken // NoMoBeer
Old 12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Please reconsider...

about taking a break if it means for a long period of time. I say this because there are several people who are saying that they too are contemplating such action. I just got here and although I may have what some people would consider long-term sobriety, the only way I can keep my batteries charged is with interaction with my fellow alcoholics (and addicts) just like you. You guys help to keep me thinking and asking questions, which cause me to search for answers. Without people like you to give me a different perspective than one I may have settled into, I will stagnate. (Remember that the only difference between a rut and a grave is depth and length.)

I hope that you and “Five” (and the others) will make their “breaks” very short in duration. Perhaps you haven’t considered this, but I need you way more than y’all need me.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi NMB

I too am sorry to see that you are leaving for now, not so much cos you are, but because of the reason. I tool over a years break from SR, only poking my head in occassionally, but it was because I upped my meetings and was working on "me", and I felt I had become a bit "isolated" by being on here so much. I was tending to use SR as a replacement for meetings, which, for me was not a good thing .

SR is a bit like AA, it is a microcosm of society, and there are all kinds of people here, with all kinds of opinions. I do not post in, or get entangled in the "personalities", but stick to the "principles". I like to share what has worked for me with "newbies" cos I remember the desperation I felt whebn I first came here. I used to get paranoid if my post had not been answered in 5 mins ! and I live on the other side of the world LOL

I hope you will reconsider, and continue to share your ESH with the new people. Take and give what you want, and leave the rest alone

HUGX
Lee
Old 12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be well and be safe Ken.

I respect your right to take some time out if things become a little too intense.

I have done it many times myself. Here and at meetings.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Take care of yourself Ken.... enjoy the holidays! .
Old 12-12-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
alconaut

I'm sorry to see you go Ken, but it will be a happy day when you return. I know I have contributed to the rabble rousing somewhat, and I apologize....

I always enjoy reading your posts. I learn a lot from you, even if it's only a little at a time. It adds up.

Thanks for being here.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sad to see you go as I am also saddend by Five's departure. I only recently started to post back here even though I have been observing for a long while. I came back with hope in my heart, but cannot stand the constant bickering about who has the best program etc...really folks, those of you who are guilty of this should be a little ashamed. The bottom line here should be RESPECT and helping your fellow alcoholic and not a contest and debate about which program is the best.
Time marches on and new methods are found.This is only normal as we have new generations of people with the same old problem and maybe the old method is not what they are looking for, and who knows, maybe there are other, newer ways to beat this disease. If you are happy with your tried-and -true program, good for you and I salute you and invite you to share your experience and offer your help, but please do not knock others who are doing it in a different way. In my opinion, it makes you look bad and it is not inviting to the desperate new folks who come to this board.
I was very disturbed about the developments today and as I am rather new to sobriety I think I too shall be taking a break as this place is not the haven I thought it was..at least not for the time being.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

It's gotten to the point where I actually question the validity of even entertaining the concept of online support networks and communities, some days. Although I've seen much worse than the current climate here at SoberRecovery, I still have to question my motives.

As my recovery program has more or less been a tailor made affair from the start, I don't believe I've ever felt the need or compulsion to advance or promote AA, from a standpoint of being better than. That's precisely the kind of thinking, in a sense, that kept me away from recovery far longer than I really needed to be.

What puzzles me, still, is my tendency to react immediately when others from my fellowship suggest that AA is the better way. Or when they take what I consider to be a moralistic stance against other viable recovery methods.
I've learned to temper my rections considerably, but still have room for much improvement.

Just as frustrating to me, is my absolute inability to ignore what is in my opinion unnecessary remarks about about some of the more innocuous posts I see about AA... Case in point, earlier today, in a thread in the Newcomer Forum.
Why the adage 'your misery will be refunded' had to be singled out as potentially harmful by non 12 step adherents, and why I felt compeled to call them of that immediately...
Where is the blessed balance we, as recovering addicts and alcoholics and codependants, are supposed to be looking for?

I'm sad to see my friends go.
And own what is mine to own, if any, of the reasons why, completely.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Ken

You are so valuable here. As we are friends & communicate more outside of SR it's not going to affect me personally...but....

Remember when you first joined and there were all those people who seemed so together and inspiring and they were really working a program of recovery and they gave you real HOPE?

Remember those people - I can name them off the top of my head from when I first arrived a year ago but Carold, Chy, Music, justme, jlo34, 51anna, Lulu70, 3legs, Peter,patsyd1, Dan there are SO MANY that I am missing I know...but my point is.....YOU are one of those people now!!!! YOU are theperson a newcomer canlookat and go wow what a journey, I want that too!! I feel HOPEFUL! There isa solution!

Of course you should do what is best for you but you are a huge loss it has been a real privilege to watch you grow and learn and help others. You were only a month or 2 sober when I met you and now it's over a year!!! And for me, you are really inspirational in that you have tackled this disease holistically - ie you don't drink but you also work so hard on the ISM I self and me!

You will be greatly missed Ken. Could you write your recovery story before you go if you feel like it?? It would be so great to read.

Please comeback when you are ready!

Cathy31
x
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ken
I must have missed a lot of the 'action' here, but I hope you come back. You help a lot of people - me included!
JMHS
Old 12-13-2005, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I bite.

Maybe it's just me and my limited time here but.... I haven't seen a problem and I think SR is GREAT.

Still, each of us must do what we need to do.

All the best to you Ken.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You know, I think it's selfish of me to not post and share my ESH here, just because I'm not liking some of the conflicts I read here...

I've got to walk my walk and accept how things are...

Glad to be back...

Ken
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

I'm so glad that you decided to stick around. I know I can't do this on my own... I need each and every one of you.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank God your back, Ken. I missed ya..it felt like an eternity without you.

Now dont ever do that again or I'll have to give ya a little spankie

Seriously, I so respect your postings, filled with wisdom and honesty. We would have been less better off without you here.

Welcome back!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've gone through the same kinds of feelings in f2f meetings. I've complained to my sponsor, telling her that I needed to find better meetings. Her response? "How about you tell me what you're taking to the meetings rather than what you're not getting out of them."

I avoided posting here for a long time after I joined because of the same thing. Then, I avoided anything but the AA & NA forums, because the steps are my preferred method of recovery, and I saw things there that I felt didn't belong there. I had a really hard time accepting anything that I had tried that didn't work for me. It's been a growth experience, just sticking around here. I realized it was my ego that prevented me from sharing anything I had to give -- and it's probably ego in many cases that cause the controversy that does go on. Sometimes, folks just need to work it out of their systems. Another thing my sponsor told me: "If you see someone struggling, that's another opportunity to pray."

I love your posts, Ken. Please stick around and share your E,S&H w/us.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Michael

Ken,
Glad to see you back, like an early Christmas present. Now if we can get Five back on board it will be like old times.
Michael