Notices

Intro to my problem

Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intro to my problem

I have always been a partier but not a big drinker. As I got older I went out less, only once a month to be social. It was rare for me to have a bad hangover.
I have suffered from major depression for years. I have finally started to find the right meds for me to be functional in life. I am still overly tired everyday I am on a sleep aid to keep me asleep all night. I know that the sleep aid is not making me tired as it is known to not linger like that. My doc put me on a new med a couple of months ago to help me stay awake during the day. It really helps. I don't sleep all day but am still tired. It is better than being totally nonfunctional, my depression can get really bad. Never suicidal though.
So I go out as usual once a month and I start to notice that I would be fine the next day. But day 2 and 3 were horrible: dizziness and nausua. In bed all day and with the life I have I can't do that. So one time I drink a beer to curb the sickness, then it was 2 a day and so on. I now drink 4 to 5 beers throughout the day. I do not get drunk, just trying not to be sick. That is starting to not even work and I feel crappy all day.
It is horrible. Money is VERY tight so the cost of keeping me from being sick is not acceptable to me. I tried the herbs but they didn't help much. I take a multivitamin and eat regularly. I have to with my depression meds. I exercise and am feeling great otherwise. Life is getting alot better everyday but the drinking is the one thing that bothers me.
I am a closet drinker and my family doesn't know. It would not be good for them to know. That is why I don't want to do the big treatment stuff, also the money issue.
I need to figure out how to help with the withdraw symptoms so that I can quit the habit.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It looks like you are making your problem bigger. Why don't you "not" go out like usual? If you do that then you don't have to worry about getting sick. All your doing is screwing up your body's chemistry. Plus with any "depression medication" your not supposed to drink because drinking causes anxiety so your medicine can not work. Drinking can also make you not sleep well. So your on medicine to make yourself feel better but your drinking which kills all the effects of the medicine. Does that make sense to you??? I think I would find a way to quit drinking and feel better all the time. Your equation is perfect if you take out the drinking. Good luck
Old 12-08-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In the past 2 months I have not gone out at all. I work to much and to hard but I still drink everyday.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your going to have to quit. Your counter acting the medication. It will NOT help you but make you worse. I take xanex at night to sleep and Effexor during the day and I also take a multi vitamin. I quit drinking and feel wonderful. More human then I have ever felt in my life. Your NEVER going to feel well as long as your drinking ESPECIALLY while on that medication. In fact, you may feel more jittery after a night of drinking. Maybe you should research about the neurological effects on your brain while drinking and after and how it effects your nervous system. It will never get better as long as your drinking. Sorry.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't want to keep drinking. I am looking for help with dealing with the withdraws. The dizziness and nausua
Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does your doctor know about the drinking?

perhaps you should talk with him about your fears and concerns about withdrawal.

If you could somehow manage to stop drinking I am certain you would start to feel better.

AA can help you.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I mentioned it. I have to go back in Jan and can ask him then.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You don't "want" to keep drinking but then you say "I drink every night" You apparently WANT to. When you don't want to you'll stop. There are too many outlets out there to helps someone in your situation and if you do not take them then it's an excuse. AA is anonymous. No one would have to know. Doctors are protected by the HEPA law and can not disclose any of your information. So it's up to you to follow through. Self disapline. Only you are there when you put that drink to your mouth and only YOU can "not" drink it. So in the end it's up to you. Things are out there to give you the strength to do so but it is only and always up to you. Good luck
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I open a drink when I am feeling sick. If I can find something to help with the withdraw symptoms I shouldn't have a problem.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I find if I feel sick that a really natural yogurt is great and that is really good for me. Maybe try that, some people find it a bit tart, but you don't have to eat a whole tubful at once, I also use the yogurt as a side bit with salad etc. It is one of the healthiest, best foods on this planet. There are also some more processed yogurts that have a bit more sugar in them and they are still good and are easier to eat for some.

Maybe also cut back on the drinks each day. With smoking I have tried cutting back to one less each day and then quit on D-Day, the withdrawal isn't as bad.

love brigid