Notices

Good to be back

Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good to be back

I had myself convinced for a couple weeks that moderation was the answer. That I had a new mentality and only wanted to have one or a few at the most. It was going to be different. I am different. I went out on two occasions and tried to prove that I could have one. Each time I had about 2 or 3, but still wanted number 4 or 5. However since I only had 2 or 3 I tried to tell myself I was cured. I realized with the help of my sponsor today that I was lieing to myself. I was in denial. If I wasn't with my fiance who has been very supportive of me I probably would have gone overboard on those two occasions. I was sober for 5 months before this "relapse", if thats what I should call it, and I know I did not follow the program. I didn't do 90 meetings in 90 days and I dont think I was serious about it. I relearned today that if I dont make this commitment to myself I will loose everything. Today is number one for me, and truely, its good to be back!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are back on track.

Keep moving forward...Blessings
Old 12-08-2005, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too tried the moderation thing.......maybe 1000 times.

I too was always decieved by that mysterious and elusive third drink. I felt if I could just manage to hang on at three drinks I would be ok.....invariably I failed....I always failed.

It took me a long time to understand that it was not the third drink that got me drunk ......or the fourth or the seventeenth..........It was the first......
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Yep always the first drink gets you drunk. Moderation is just so dam hard, I can remember sitting and thinking all night about whether to crack and have another. At some point I always cracked, whether it was that night or another.

Great to see you post, great decision

love brigid
Old 12-09-2005, 02:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

It's great to see you back! What a wonderful lesson for you! I too have tried it...I never won!!!!
I didn't even ENJOY moderating!!!! It reminded me that there is more to this than just drinking!!!!! So glad that you are back!
Well done.
Cathy31
x
Old 12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This disease is so crazy! Even last night I was reading Bill's Story in the big book and I was like, hmmm, i was never anything like that maybe I'm not an alcoholic. and I thought about it for a few minutes, and then i was like oh, yup, you are. Why do I struggle so much with having to convince myself of this? I almost lost my fiance over this disease and I still try to denial that I am an alcoholic. Day two. But even though this sounds like a downer post, I am so glad to be sober today and I do love my life, just not that other voice in my head!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

It helped me quiet that voice when I openly admitted and told other people that I am an alcoholic. Now, I just know that I am, no second guessing.

Well done on day 2, stick with it!!

love brigid
Old 12-09-2005, 10:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Originally Posted by Peter
I too tried the moderation thing.......maybe 1000 times.

I too was always decieved by that mysterious and elusive third drink. I felt if I could just manage to hang on at three drinks I would be ok.....invariably I failed....I always failed.

It took me a long time to understand that it was not the third drink that got me drunk ......or the fourth or the seventeenth..........It was the first......
Same here, peter. First two drinks seemed like they had almost 0 effect. At 3 however, I reached the turning point and I was off to the races.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Straight shooter

Originally Posted by draven85
I had myself convinced for a couple weeks that moderation was the answer. That I had a new mentality and only wanted to have one or a few at the most. It was going to be different. I am different. I went out on two occasions and tried to prove that I could have one. Each time I had about 2 or 3, but still wanted number 4 or 5. However since I only had 2 or 3 I tried to tell myself I was cured. I realized with the help of my sponsor today that I was lieing to myself. I was in denial. If I wasn't with my fiance who has been very supportive of me I probably would have gone overboard on those two occasions. I was sober for 5 months before this "relapse", if thats what I should call it, and I know I did not follow the program. I didn't do 90 meetings in 90 days and I dont think I was serious about it. I relearned today that if I dont make this commitment to myself I will loose everything. Today is number one for me, and truely, its good to be back!
Glad to see you made the trip back.

If you are driven within yourself that is the only factor necessary to maintain sobriety. It is definately a good thing to ensure some type of support to keep things on the straight & narrow path but you must start within. Glad to see you here at SR!! It is a good form of support & has worked well for me!!!! Hope it keeps you on course.