Notices

AA alternatives and random questions

Old 12-11-2005, 08:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by Richey
I slipped up the day after i wrote this but now I'm on day 3.
Great!!

This is the least horrible withdrawal I've been through.
That has to be good!

I don't think I ever want to leave this bed. I can't deal with people.
Stay sober and get rid of the coke and you will eventually be fine with leaving the bed and other people, there is a whole world out there waiting for you.

love brigid
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jesse63
Richey,

I've been reading your posts for longer than I can remember. You're the only long-term poster that I've seen who has truly not taken any real steps to get sober -- only talked a lot about it, but never done ONE thing about it.

I hope that you eventually get the balls that you will need to at least try to achieve sobriety. I don't know if you have it in you.

I went to my cousin's funeral a month ago. He was a heavy drinker and died of liver failure. His symptoms were not much different from yours. He was 26, and he reminded me of you. He refused to help himself, and felt perpetually sorry for himself. And the predictable happened -- he died.

DO something.

This is my second withdrawal! How have I not taken any steps? Since I started posting here I had nearly 4 months sober at one point!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I certainly don't think you're alone among the members here who have had difficulty staying sober. And I have seen you take specific steps to try and break your pattern of self-harming behavior.
Do you still have questions about the alternative programs? SMART Recovery and Rational Recovery are behavioral approaches, with specific tools to help change your thinking in order to change your behavior. SOS and LifeRing focus on the peer support provided by group meetings. Women For Sobriety emphasizes developing a positive self-image. None of the alternatives has the spiritual emphasis that you'll find at AA.
Don
Old 12-12-2005, 04:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Richey I have one question. Why are you doing coke if you want to get your thinking straight. Do you really want sobriety?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don S
I certainly don't think you're alone among the members here who have had difficulty staying sober. And I have seen you take specific steps to try and break your pattern of self-harming behavior.
Do you still have questions about the alternative programs? SMART Recovery and Rational Recovery are behavioral approaches, with specific tools to help change your thinking in order to change your behavior. SOS and LifeRing focus on the peer support provided by group meetings. Women For Sobriety emphasizes developing a positive self-image. None of the alternatives has the spiritual emphasis that you'll find at AA.
Don
It's more of a case of lack of motivation rather than lack of will power for me. I mean, I've been anorexic in the past...I have no trouble denying myself pleasure...it's just when I don't see the point in living it's hard to see the point in getting or stsying sober. I've tried antidepressants and I tried therapy...but none have worked. Right now I just want to be sober so my girlfriend doesn't hurt herself and I don't hurt other people.

I'm thinking of getting into SMART. I'm on day 4 now and it's all weird and out of my routine not to drink and I don't know what to do with myself.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chabroso
Richey I have one question. Why are you doing coke if you want to get your thinking straight. Do you really want sobriety?
Because I'm an idiot. And I just wanted to feel good for once. My life has been so **** lately and the withdrawal is making me so depressed I spent an hour digging a paper clip under my knuckle and staring into space.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Because I'm an idiot. And I just wanted to feel good for once. My life has been so **** lately and the withdrawal is making me so depressed I spent an hour digging a paper clip under my knuckle and staring into space.

Coke aint going to help that bud.....half an hour of feelin good followed by two hours of some of the worst depression in the come down....and that's on top of the alcohol wd already....

Richey...have you considered talking to your gf about your alcohol intake...I mean admit to her you have a problem and ask her if she'll stop drinking with you. Its very tough to admit that to loved ones, and sometimes they dont believe it...but its very hard to go down a total road to recovery without SOME kind of support....and that support is best if it comes from people closest to you.

Just a thought.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have been following Richys posts for a while... I am not a big alcoholic nor druggie, but I have had problems in the past, with most drugs... anyways I just need a good scare tactic to set me straight and that is why I've been reading his posts.

Just curious - I know he stopped posting abruptley somewhere around 2006... anyone know what happened to him?

I'm sorry if this comes off as intrusive in any way... like I said I'm curious.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

I have no current information about him.

Members come
Members go
Bless them all on their journey.

How can we help you?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well at the moment I am not sure I need any help, although that is subjective of course . I have had some times where I've felt like an addict, but I think I have it under control... I ceased a 3.5 yr daily marijuana habit (coinciding with other drugs like coke, ecstacy, acid, mushrooms, ect) a month ago and I merely drink on weekends now.

I am basically here to lurk and gather information/experiences from fellow posters. I hope that doesn't bother anyone!

Also, after reading... I think my name might come off as a little offensive to some others... just a feeling a get. Would there be a way I can change it?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

To change your name...please use the SR e mail addy
and list your choices. I say choices ...because we
have a lot of members and perhaps your first choice
is taken.

You may wish to post them here ...if anonymity is unimportant
I will then direct our Adminstrator to your post.

After 5 posts ...you may use our PM function
to reach any member of our SR Team
with your information if you choose to have it done.

Certainly you are welcome to share with us
or simply read ...either way is ok....
Old 03-14-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

marvelous thing about the internet, world of answers lie at your finger tips.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Hope, you get to feeling better
Old 03-14-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Richey

You guys are killing each other, get into a substance abuse program. You might save 2 lives. You could always stick your ego where the sun don't shine and give AA a serious run. Your way is not working!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Heathen

This is an old post, the poster has been gone for years..
Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks, Carol.

I think I'd like to be "ElevatingSoul".