Notices

Moods.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

Moods.

Long after AA started, the term Mood-Altering Drug came into vogue. Though this originally was applied to hard drugs, it is also true of alcohol.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to alter one's mood. None of us wants to be depressed, anxious, or fearful. We're all looking for ways to stay happy and high-spirited.

The problem with all mood-altering drugs, alcohol included, is that they provide temporary highs while bringing on long-term destruction and enslavement. We would love to have those highs if they did not carry such a terrible price.

But we can seek a new frame of mind in sober living that will give us better moods without destroying us. This is "the peace that passes all understanding," and it comes only from living the right way and listening to our Higher Power. This is the only mood control that really works.

I want to be in a good mood today, but it must be as a result of having a healthy frame of mind. I have no desire for the false highs that were killing me.

From the book Walk in Dry Places.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I want to be in a good mood today, but it must be as a result of having a healthy frame of mind.
Good morning reminder, Dan. Thank you.

Hugs
Ann
Old 12-08-2005, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan
Quoted. And quotable.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had an important realization this week. It was a big "ah ha" moment. I am working on my 4th step and I hit some really hard spots, writing about how my addiction destroyed my marriage. Tough stuff. All that pain and hurt and shame and regret welled up. My first (alcoholic) thought was, how can I stop this pain? My second (recovery) thought was, you know, it's ok to feel this pain without trying to change it. Wow. I learned to let myself feel it in order to move through it. Big stuff for me.

Pre-recovery. I grabbed whatever was closest to me to stop feeling. Today I let myself feel the bad AND the good.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think everyone wants to be in a good mood - The only thing is where do you buy that???????