Notices

I'm a dry drunk

Old 12-09-2005, 05:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am currently losing the battle of staying sober, but I do have two thoughts that I think may be of use to you. When I was in rehab I struggled with the notion of a higher power. What I eventually came up with was the idea of my own potential. This is my higher power. I realized that I am of no use to the world, or myself, as a drunk, and I long to live a useful life. The second thing I would recommend when your feeling down is to go back and read through all your old posts on this board (and any others). It is funny how online communities like this can serve as records of our lives. The other day I “researched” my own posts at another forum and it felt as though I was looking at another person’s life. We grow, often so slowly that we don’t even see it.

Also, as for doing coke, when you have these fantasies (and I have them too), go rent a movie, research online, or read a book about the horrors resulting from such choices. I know that there is a part of me that is always searching for new and exciting ways to kill myself, but when I really study these paths they lose most of their appeal.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by Dan
And extremelly tolerant of the crowing of a few in this thread.
Was I crowing again?

Well, I'll grudgingly admit how believing in a doorknob as a higher power might be easier for some, if the concept of God is too much.

Okay, Ken - end of subject.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Autumn
Well, I'll grudgingly admit how believing in a doorknob as a higher power might be easier for some, if the concept of God is too much.
You mean you don't believe in Doorknob Almighty? You heathen!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by doorknob
You mean you don't believe in Doorknob Almighty? You heathen!
Oh man, I just now noticed.... is THAT what's depicted in your avatar??

You're bad. Meet me over on the Doorknob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 thread.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michaelj
When I posted my reply to this thread I expected to be challenged on my view that the notion of a "dry alcoholic" is an artificial construction used to further a dogmatic approach to "curing" alcoholic addiction. It was beyond my wildest dreams to have the term used against me. It is a kind of Orwellian mind set that insists that there is only one way to solve a problem and that if you deny that single approach then you are the problem. I disagree with a point of view, therefore I am the guilty party.
If you have a belief in a higher power, well good for you. If you think that that higher power will get you cured, well good for you.
If, like me you see absolutely no evidence for the existence of a "higher power" then you will see that life is a simple matter of choices and decisions. I chose to drink every drink I consumed. I made a rational decision to drink and "enjoy" it. Eventually, after 40 years exposure to the substance and having developed an addiction to it, I decided to become sober.
In accounting terms I had carried out a cost - benefit analysis and decided that the continuing consumption of alcohol had more cost than benefit so I quit.
I remain convinced that the "dry drunk" is a figment of the imagination and I will continue to argue against its deployment. What I will not do, however, is to criticise another person's sincerely held belief. If you want to pay homage to your "higher power", please feel free, but if you want to accuse me of a thought crime for disagreeing with palpable nonsense then please go ahead, as all you will be doing is showing your religious inspired bigotry.
By the way Ismchanger, my road to sobriety has not been a white knuckle ride because of my lack of religiosity. It has been a difficult journey because of the strong addiction that I had developed to alcohol. I look forward to hearing from any alcohol addicted religious person who has had an "easy" ride.
The argument that my lack of spirituality is setting me up for a fall is almost laughable. As though my taking another drink will somehow provide absolute proof that there really is a god. Oh spare me. It is inconceivable to me that a beneficent deity could first deprive me of my free will and then arrange for me to fall from sobriety to prove a man-made notion.
I have said enough for now, please argue against the logic of my position and I will happily reply. Please don't call me a dry drunk for daring to engage in a debate.
Michael
Micheal: Forwarding The Rising Tide of Rationality in the alcohol community.

Even if your not mate, posts like this help.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter
I tend to agree with Michael about the "dry drunk" phrase.

Far as I know it does not appear anywhere in the first 164 pgs. of the AA Big Book.

(If it appears in the "Personal Stories " section someone please bring it to my attention)

The phrase I believe was coined in an AA circle to somehow describe an individual who had stopped drinking but was still acting out on his character defects.

I have been guilty myself of using it to describe others but as I am maturing in recovery I am beginning to find the term inaccurate.

AA gives each and everyone of the us the right to work our programme in whatever way we prefer and because another member is not at the same place in recovery as I might be does not make him a "dry drunk"

Am I a dry drunk because I am not having a good day and am displaying signs of impatience and irritabiliy ?

Am I a dry drunk when I get angry and bellow at the employees?

Am I a dry drunk because I am not "Working The Steps"

Steps are a "suggested" path to recovery and I have known people sober and happy for years without formally working The Steps.

I know people who come to meetings regularly and participate in events and discussions who live sober happy lives.

I do not know anyone however who works a perfect programme.

Who exactly is a dry drunk anyway?If someone can narrow it down to a singularity please do so.

Perhaps the term can only be accurate when I apply it to myself.

Referring to others as "dry drunk" is pushing the boundaries of "inventory taking"
liked this one.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Straight shooter

If you are driven within yourself that is the only factor necessary to maintain sobriety. It is definately a good thing to ensure some type of support to keep things on the straight & narrow path but you must start within. Glad to see you here at SR!! It is a good form of support & has worked well for me!!!! Hope it keeps you on course.