Notices

Whats the Deal with Stanton Peele

Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whats the Deal with Stanton Peele

(ha, that rhymes)

Either love him or hate him?

Personally that man has changed my whole outlook on my problem, filled in agonising gapes in my thinking, and is I think one of the true voices of sanity in the addiction field. I think his attacks on AA are not necessary though, as his research and plain old insight stands for itself.

The man is a wise man, who says what he thinks, and is most certainley onto something.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Extremity

I neither love him or hate him.

I do like his delivery of certain concepts over some of his contempories and he seems more personal to me than say Ellis or Trimpey who just seem angry and irrational most of the time.

Peele is more rational although he makes the very same mistakes that his contempories do.

Either there is an "irrational trigger" with his "unnecessary AA positions" or there is a glitch in his grammatical tense.
I think he just bought that part from others with blind faith.

He makes some good points though.
You just have to know his mistakes to avoid certain circular logics.

Be Well
Old 12-07-2005, 01:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mog. I have set out my stall to study him, so your advice is welcome. He does get angry and I just think Hey, Stanton, Stop getting so angry. But other times he just eases through anxiety and questions with, as you say, rational sense.

As for Trimpy, I dont really know except I read him and he makes me feel tired, and Ellis I dont know much about. For me a brilliant source of wisdom is Aeron T Beck. What a man, what a writer, and what a scientist. He has changed my thinking something special.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Ever notice that it's the ones who pepper their rhetoric with distemper and anger that we generally consider lunatic (at worse) or practitioners of defeatist argumentative techniques (like circular logic) at best?
The little man Gandhi brought down the British Empire with kindness and humility.
Who knew what a smile could accomplish...
Old 12-07-2005, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Who?