Notices

first weekend without

Old 12-05-2005, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first weekend without

I finally made it through a weekend without drinking. Other than the extreme irritability I experienced Sunday it went well. I thought about trying a natural supplement like St. John's Wort to help with my moodiness. Do any of you have any suggestions concerning this?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober weekend.We do this one day at a time.Before you know it,you can have many sober day's and weekend's.I've tried St.Johns wart.Couldnt really say how well it worked.Working out in the gym does more for me than anything else I have tried.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!

Check this out for stress info...

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Stay in focus...Blessings
Old 12-05-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your weekend! You are doing an awesome job!

I don't have any advice on St John's Wort. Never tried it. Let me know if it works.

Keep up the great work!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Good job on your weekend, dan!

I can relate--I was so antsy and irritable the first couple weeks without alcohol. Nearly came unhinged a couple times, but instead ate candy like crazy. Keeping a cup of hot tea, or a glass of cranberry juice & sparkling water in hand all the time helped, as did getting occupied with something that could take my mind off of wanting wine. Reading is my best way to keep my thoughts in check.

I've tried St. John's Wort in the past, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Chamomile tea is soothing, maybe that would help.

Well, keep it up--it may be tough now, but it will eventually ease up. You really can do it!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober weekend. Little victories count.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Way to go! Definitely an accomplishment.

I know what you mean about irritability. I think that GABA and Valerian help with this more than St. Johns Wort. St. Johns if for depression which is somewhat different beast.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

congratulations! Try the herb and see, just make sure there are no side effects with it. Well that is what I have done, tried heaps of natural foods and herbs, just read on the internet about them and gave them a go. Some worked some didn't. Put some in dinner one time when friends came over and cleared up a headache. I found this one of the most enjoyable things when first quitting drinking, exploring nature's pantry. Have fun, don't forget yogurt, it is the best food!!

love brigid
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi tkdan, when I first quit people on these threads were so kind and encouraging, I still don't know what thread is the best, the newcomer thread is good also. Like they told me, throw all you drink away, keep taking real small steps in the right direction. Keep reading and posting on SR. Hang in there, zimmer.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zimmer, You're right the people here are very helpful and have helped me realize how not alone I am in this. It is mid-week for me and I feel good. Yesterday was one of those days that went well last night I slept straight through the night for the first time sense I stopped drinking. Today is going good. I owe everyone here a thanks for all the support. I don't know if it would have been possible without the support of others who have been there. A non-alchoholic can not relate to an alcoholic about his or her situation. This site has been a blessing for me and I appreciate everyone here.