Notices

final shot at moderation..i know i know..

Old 12-03-2005, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

final shot at moderation..i know i know..

hey guys whatsup..
well i know what you are all thinking, im thinking it too, im just another boozer looking to still have booze in her life. and i know this is not a place for 'moderation' but for people who want to abstain, and i understand that. im just sharing because i know i have a problem and like i said before, i just want to be honest so here goes.

i was talking to people in a sobriety chat room and this one woman said 'you seem to have many fond memories of alcohol and are not in a placle where you really want to give it up yet.' right i away i was like no! dont say that! then i got to thinking,, i am only 22, maybe i can learn to be a healthy moderate drinker..

again im just tell you guys this because i am making this promise right here and now to everyone here that if i go out, try that, and fail, im going straight to AA (i know there are other options and AA is not the only solution, but it looks like somewhere I could go and be comfortable). So yeah, that is my plan. i think if i dont at least give that a final try, ill be living my life like 'did i really have to cut it allll out... again, im sorry if im being offensive, i remember like 8 months i posted something of moderation and some guy yelled at me like 'you are tempting people and they will think they can do it too!!' that is so far from my intention and i hope u all know that.

this is just my last attempt, thats it thats all

god speed
Old 12-03-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

......hmmmmmm.......ok Gshiz.
We'll leave a light on for ya....
Old 12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best of luck, I tried a controlled drinking program once and failed miserably. I have only met one person in 15 years who had an alcohol problem that was successful with controlled drinking.....and I have met tons who have tried. The controlled drinking program at ARF in Toronto was so unsuccessful they shut it down.

I hope you will remember that if controlled drinking doesn't work for you there is no shame in returning to abstinence.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate the honesty - please be careful. We'll be here if you need to come back. I found alcoholism to be progressive - it gets worse - my drinking certainly did.

Good luck
JMHS
Old 12-03-2005, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

We'll be here when ya get back, as will AA.

Hopefully, you'll make it back...
Old 12-03-2005, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

I am another example of someone who made an attempt at moderate drinking and failed miserably. I don't hold much hope in it being successful.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GshizzleA
i think if i dont at least give that a final try, ill be living my life like 'did i really have to cut it allll out...
god speed
Good luck in your adventures in the world of alcohol. I doubt this will be your final attempt at moderation as you are far from ready to wanting to stop. All I can say is don't drive drunk and be aware at bars for people slipping $hit in your drinks. Bottoms Up!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Because 1 guy was rude don't be turned away from SR.

More importantly....continue to find your answer to your future.

Blessings...
Old 12-03-2005, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

G-

Been through the same sort of thing. You and I should talk, I have similar theories about my drinking. PM me sometime and I'll tell you all about them!!

I'm back here after a long time trying to figure out what I needed/wanted to do.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

gshizzlea--

i've also tried to moderate. i've been saying that i'd like to moderate for 2 or 3 years now. i've found that it just gives me some sort of excuse for continuing drinking. it's like, "as long as i'm not drinking as much as I _could_ everyday, I am doing okay." of course, it hasn't been okay. i continued to drink more than most people around me and certainly more than my body and mind could handle.
once i do get completely sober, i would almost rather eventually have a major relapse than to say "i will try to moderate" and to have never been completely sober. (hope that sentence makes sense....)

-wren
Old 12-03-2005, 10:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

moderation never worked for me. I tried for 6 months everyday to quit my last time. I finally made it. Dec 10 will be 4 years.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From my files....

The US based NADAA (National Association of Drug and Alcohol Abuse) defines moderate consumption of alcohol as.....
one drink daily for women and two for men

One drink is defined as.....
A glass of wine, 8 ounces
A cocktail consisting of 1 1/2 ounces of liquor
Or r one 12 ounce bottle of beer.

Just thought the term 'moderate' should be defined as to the experts. ..not we drinkers!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

one other thing that I was going to write but forgot.
so confident was I that I could moderate (or still continue to drink), I actually moved (20 miles away). I thought that if I moved away from my friends who drink a lot, as well as the all of the 24-hour stores that sell beer, my drinking problem would disappear. for a while after I moved I was drinking a lot less (but still too much), but eventually I was back to drinking way way too much. my surroundings changed, but it was still me that had the problem. I just began to buy more alcohol at one time and hide it from others.

on a different note---I read that you're 22. I totally understand that you don't really want to give up drinking at that age. but only you know if it's really a problem for you. if I could have forseen at age 22 that 3 years down the line (now) life would be miserable, I would have made an attempt to stop then. but alcohol was still a novelty (and not an addiction) for me, and there was no way I was gonna give it up. you already have concerns and questions, so i think that that in itself is positive.

-wren
Old 12-03-2005, 11:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD
From my files....

The US based NADAA (National Association of Drug and Alcohol Abuse) defines moderate consumption of alcohol as.....

Just thought the term 'moderate' should be defined as to the experts. ..not we drinkers!

thanks to Carol for putting things into perspective!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD

Interesting. From the website of the Center for Disease Control...

3. What is a Standard Drink?
A standard drink is one 12 ounce beer, one 5 ounce glass of wine, or one 1.5 ounce shot of distilled spirits. Each of these drinks contains about half an ounce of alcohol.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#3

Depending on what source is "more right", the person observing the 8-ounce benchmark is consuming 1.6 times the alcohol as the person observing the 5 ounce rule. Over the course of one month of "normal" drinking, this equates to 18 more drinks.

Interesting...
Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hmmm...I have not looked at my source site for several years.
Perhaps the CDC standard is more up to date.

I think I will use the CDC from now on.

Thanks...
Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Michael

GshizzleA,
I remember your long-ago post on moderation and I was the one who replied that I believed your post was inappropriate and might lead others to believe that they too could drink in moderation. As with all my posts I was careful to be non-judgmental and supportive, I certainly did not yell at you.
By all means try moderation for yourself, there is little worse in this life than the feeling of regret for not having attempted something. I have no regrets about attempting moderation, I tried unsuccessfully for years and years and found that total abstinence was the only answer. I suppose you could say that at least I tried.
I really hope that your attempt does not end in tears. As has been said above, there will be someone here to welcome you back if your plan fails.
Michael
Old 12-04-2005, 06:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey G its lauren here, i just wanted to let you know that I got sober when i was 21 and it was very challenging, and thoughts that you are having are very normal. What really helped me was writing down all of the things that happend to me while i was drinking, I never planned on any of that happening to me but it continued to happen, and the more that it happend the worse i felt about myself. And not every time wasnt bad ya know, but the majority of the way that i acted and the things that I did didnt make me feel to good. I never had a dui, never arrested, never lost a house, family, etc. But i had to ask myself why would this time be any different? And why was i placing so much importance on one drink? Was it really worth finding out and all of the consequences that come along with it? How could alcohol help me achieve my goals and what I want out of life? I will be 25 in feb and i still have yet to pick up that drink. I can tell you that I wouldnt have been able to do it without the program of alcoholics anonymous, I know that there is no way for me. When i dont go to my meetings i start thinking funny. Its all on you I know that there is nothing that any of us can say to keep you sober and I know that there is nothing here that we can say to make you drink either, all we can do is share our experience strength and hope with you....take care....good luck
Lauren
Old 12-04-2005, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Chy

It's been MY personal experience with younger people that they do tend to have better success at moderation once they realize there is a problem. Yes, your very young still and that is in your favor and your life is just begining to unfold and in some sense still learning how to grow up. Good luck and keep in touch!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope it works for you. you might do a google on MM. I guess that has worked for some.
Originally Posted by GshizzleA
hey guys whatsup..
well i know what you are all thinking, im thinking it too, im just another boozer looking to still have booze in her life. and i know this is not a place for 'moderation' but for people who want to abstain, and i understand that. im just sharing because i know i have a problem and like i said before, i just want to be honest so here goes.

i was talking to people in a sobriety chat room and this one woman said 'you seem to have many fond memories of alcohol and are not in a placle where you really want to give it up yet.' right i away i was like no! dont say that! then i got to thinking,, i am only 22, maybe i can learn to be a healthy moderate drinker..

again im just tell you guys this because i am making this promise right here and now to everyone here that if i go out, try that, and fail, im going straight to AA (i know there are other options and AA is not the only solution, but it looks like somewhere I could go and be comfortable). So yeah, that is my plan. i think if i dont at least give that a final try, ill be living my life like 'did i really have to cut it allll out... again, im sorry if im being offensive, i remember like 8 months i posted something of moderation and some guy yelled at me like 'you are tempting people and they will think they can do it too!!' that is so far from my intention and i hope u all know that.

this is just my last attempt, thats it thats all

god speed