Notices

final shot at moderation..i know i know..

Old 12-04-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YankInHolland
Interesting. From the website of the Center for Disease Control...

3. What is a Standard Drink?
A standard drink is one 12 ounce beer, one 5 ounce glass of wine, or one 1.5 ounce shot of distilled spirits. Each of these drinks contains about half an ounce of alcohol.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#3

Depending on what source is "more right", the person observing the 8-ounce benchmark is consuming 1.6 times the alcohol as the person observing the 5 ounce rule. Over the course of one month of "normal" drinking, this equates to 18 more drinks.

Interesting...
...and I always thought it was a six ounce glass of wine.
Another factor is the range in alcohol content in wine. Typical has been 10 - 11% for whites, 12 - 13% for reds. But there's a trend (I live near wine country) of vintners making some of the more robust reds with 14% or even 15% alcohol. So there's as much as a 50% range in alcohol content right there.
Of course, only folks like us would be doing all this math.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

if u feel confident enough then go for it.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Dan

Good Bordeaux starts at 17%.
Anything else is grape juice...
Ameican wines, american beer... Sheesh.
Originally Posted by Don S
Of course, only folks like us would be doing all this math.
We're quircky people like that...
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=laurenlanai] And why was i placing so much importance on one drink? Was it really worth finding out and all of the consequences that come along with it? How could alcohol help me achieve my goals and what I want out of life? I will be 25 in feb and i still have yet to pick up that drink. I can tell you that I wouldnt have been able to do it without the program of alcoholics anonymous

thanks lauren, your reply really hit home as i too have thought about my future, and im pretty sure if i continue to abuse alcohol, i wont get what i want out of life and even sometimes now when im at a bar i see women in their 40s looking all hagard, holding on to their budweiser like its their best friend and i think ugh you will never be that.. but , i can sort of see myself like that too..

i know i want to be sober and that i can, i just keep battling whether of not the pros outweight the cons. so like i said, im going to give it one final go for peice of mind and i do know you guys will all be here, and i really appreciate all of the responses

to michaelJ, thx for responding too, i know you didnt 'yell' but u said some hurtful things (im not trying to be petty) but its ok i know this is a touchy subject for all of us and thx for ur support as well now

xox
Old 12-04-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Michael

GshizzleA,
I am deeply sorry that I hurt you. I just don't want anyone to suffer the miseries that I lived through.
Michael
Old 12-04-2005, 09:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by michaelj
By all means try moderation for yourself, there is little worse in this life than the feeling of regret for not having attempted something. I have no regrets about attempting moderation, I tried unsuccessfully for years and years and found that total abstinence was the only answer. I suppose you could say that at least I tried.
I regret not stopping drinking a lot younger.

I am also one of the people who tried moderate drinking. I was successful for a while (came crashing down later). It took one hell of a lot more constitent effort than quitting though and really I was only fooling myself.

For me the truth is that I AM an alcoholic and that if I drink life will be less and less under my control until it is no longer in my control at all. AND I will loose all that living time that I spend drinking.

Sure I think I had some fun when I was drinking, but I have had MORE fun not drinking and no regrets and no stupidity or lowering my standards or leaving things undone .... and I remember it ALL. Just took me some thinking adjustments to appreciate the simple things.

Let us know how you go, I read a post here once that said that if you were successful at the moderate drinking that you wouldn't come back and let the rest of us know anyway. Let us know how you go either way hey, it isn't going to sway me even if you are successful, I know I can't drink.

love brigid
Old 12-05-2005, 08:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've drank several times with you nice people from Canada\

I'm not sure, after drinking with the great people from Canada if, any of you do drink in moderation.

They all drank so much this boy had a real hard time keepin up

We are what we are.

I'm alergic to this stuff makes me break out in spots. Like the jail in the ditch, with my head in a stool

Drink one beer each time out and stop. Let me know how that works for you ok
Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Moderation never worked for me.... each attempt only took me further down the path of addiction. I wish I'd stopped at your age instead of starting.

Best of luck to you - I wish you success.

-anne
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You're trying to decide if the pros outweigh the cons? Of drinking? I think you already know the answer to that.

I tried moderating my drinking many times. It didn't work.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2005, 04:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I remember that post from Michael....he gave us the facts. He was honest about the pitfalls of attempting to moderate drinking for those of us who are alcoholics. I believe we needed his post for any new members reading the forum for the first time.
As it turned out, he was right.
Good luck with your moderate drinking G. We are here when you need us.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

something i do think i will try is to be 100% sober on new years eve. i think that will be ultimate challenge for me. i've been drunk on new years (of course) for the past 5 years probably and i've had so much fun bla bla. i think ill hook up some redbull and just ring in the new year and actually remember what i said or what was around me at midnight! woohoo
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

hey G! I know its tough, trust me. It just plain sucks sometimes. The beautiful thing about recovery is you only not have to drink for today. New Years is a while way still. My first NY's was very scary, i cried for a while and then i went over to someones house from the program and played games all night. Sounds lame, i rolled my eyes when i was invited, but i actually had a good time. New Years is so over-rated too, i cant tell you the last time I had a good New Years wasted. I usually ended crying at the end of the night making a fool of myself. If you reach out to people in your area i know that they would love to help you. You dont have to do this alone there are people out there who care and want to help expecting nothing in return. Remember all we really have is today so live each day like it is your last, and how would you want to spend the last day of your life???
Keep talking about it your answers will come soon!

~heart~Lauren