Notices

Moral Reasoning and the alcoholic

Old 11-17-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I worked for 3 years teaching autistic kids using applied behavioural analysis. Their problems were unquestionabley in the physical realm and yet behaviourism is still effective (incredibly effective!). Why? I think because the brain CAN re-route tasks, despite hard neurological damage or difference. Unlike any other organ what we learn is stored in our brains - not in a supernatural way, otherwise they could be stored in our foot, or right ear lobe, they are stored PHYSICALLY in our brain; therefore I EXPECT what we learn to be physically reflected in changes within an organ in my body - my brain.

If we were all stood in one room, we would see variety in almost every physical aspect from foot size, hair colour, eye shape, height, weight, etc. At the same time we would be struck by similarity, five toes on a foot, hair - we all have it somewhere and mostly in standard places, height - no-one stands 1 foot tall as an adult (do they?), two arms, legs, eyes etc etc. Our brains are mind stunningly complex I would seem near impossible to me that they wouldn't show similar physical variety and similarity. I think this is ESPECIALLY true when it comes to hard wired responses such as panic, sexual urge, aggression - the heart thumping stuff!! HOWEVER we are not ants, bees, or fish, we are self aware and we are capable of controling behaviour, we are also capable of learning. We don't have to end with what we began with BUT arguing we're all the same doesn't make sense either.

The bottom line is that if you KNOW how much behaviour and learning can change the brain then you don't feel powerless in acknowledging physical influence on behaviour - more I find I can hold an attitude of 'Ok - now the dog can see the rabbit!'

I acknowledge it's a guess but for my money alcohol dependency (at least certain types) will be found to have a equal or even predominently physical basis. BUT I also believe behavioural approaches will provide the most effeicient way to empower individuals and address alcohol abuse, until...... well even then I think it will be used because it allows individuals independence and dignity in changing their own circumstances.