Notices

Alcoholic "jokes"

Old 11-19-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

I teach my kids that if someone is not talking nicely to them; rather than argue...

walk away.
ignore, eventually they'll get tired of no attention.
if it gets bad, tell someone who can help; teacher, parent, etc.

Jen

I too use to joke about AA and drunks when I was drinking...probably deep down before I reached the doors of AA, I knew I belonged there?!?!?

I would not disclose anything else other than the fact that TODAY, you choose not to drink.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Loved the joke, I too thought i would read jokes. On a serious note though, i would tell the guy you don't appreciate the rude comments and that if he wants to make them then do it when you are not around.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

I have a guy I work with, and he used to make snide comments about alcoholics around me, not knowing I was one. I can really empathize with the fist clinching reaction some have had, since I had that on occassion myself with this one.

So one day while he was yukking it up, I asked him straight in the eye "What is your grips with alkies? Think very, very hard before you answer that, because I want to know what your problem with my brother is." For dramatic effect, I grabbed a pen and paper and told him to start slowly so I can get it all down.

So I skirted the issue of having to tell everyone in the office about my affairs and made him feel pretty small in front of my coworkers at the same time. We still get along fine, and even though some may disagree with the methods, I feel in my own way he learned a lesson he should have learned long ago. He doesn't even joke about gay people anymore (good thing, since my brother really IS gay, and I'd hate to do it to him again... he's really not a bad guy, just says bad things).
Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey 2tough-
Great story! You handled that situation well.
chip
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I agree, that was a great way to handle the situation!! Congrats on a smart and witty way to handle things.