Notices

My story, My plan

Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A lone wolf staring back at me

My story, My plan

Hey everyone,
First off let me say that I am glad to be here. I am excited to finally find a place with people that know about my problem, have similar expiereinces and want to be sober. I feel so empowered just to read the posts, I feel like I know you guys... and gals

A little about me. I started abusing alcohol in High School. I would drink here and there when I was not busy with athletics and such, but when I drank I got drunk! My drinking continued to College. Binge drinking on the weekends and a few times during the week. I just felt like it was such an accepted thing. I always felt like it was kind of a phase that I was in.

Well after college I guess I never quit drinking. On my days off work I usually drink... and I drink to get drunk, 14-18 Beers. By the time my work week rolls around I usually take a day off in the middle of the week to get drunk... This has been going to way to long. I have been out of college for 4 years. I am ready to have this burden lifted off of me... and I am strong enough to lift it.

I have tried to quit before but I have never had this much passion. I have a wonderful wife who supports me and loves me. I have told her that I am going to quit and I dont want to let her, or myself down again. I dont know how much more either of us can take.

This last Saturday I took my last drink. I plan on posting on this Thread about myself and my progress at least 3-4 times a week. Thanks for reading and I would love to hear from all of you...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wish you all the best. Its probabley the best thing you'll ever do.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up Hi and

Welcome to SR!
It is super that you are choosing abstinence.

I use AA for my sobriety. I know the program is effective for so many of us.

Hugs to uou and your wife...
Old 11-14-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Welcome and good to meet you.

I'm a grateful recovering alcohol thanks to AA.
Don't forget your last drink/drunk.
Feel free to ask questions/vent/whatever.

Jen
Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Michael

Welcome to SR. You will find an enormous amount of personal knowledge and freely given support here from people who know exacty what you are going through.
I look forward to reading about your progress
Best wishes
Michael
Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Booth!
I can relate to your story. If I can stop drinking, then you can too. Stick around!
JMHS
Old 11-15-2005, 12:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone. I appreciate your replys and your support. It is 2 AM in the morning and I cant sleep. I work the night shift so my hours tend to get all messed up. I go back to work tonight around 10 PM... Hopefully I will be able to back to bed this afternoon so I am all rested up and ready.

I woke up around 12:30 and got a bunch of house work done. It really needed it. My wife works full time and we hardly ever have free time to clean. I hate being up all night with no one around. It is nice cause you can get stuff done but can kinda get lonely. Plus my wife loves to wake up to a clean house...

Still feeling really good. Seems like for me staying sober is relatively easy (easier) during my work week, (which starts tommorrow night)... I am guessing right around thursday/ friday I am going to start to tell myself that I was really good throughout the week and can reward myself by drinking. That is the same feeling that comes over me every week. I am not going to drink though... I will probably post again on Thursday let you all know what is going on.

Stay strong...
Old 11-15-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

yeah Booth!! Good work, and you know what is going to happen so good planning!!

I took up irish dancing with my daughters on a Friday afternoon after the work week, that was a good reward instead of drinking, nice music, nice physical work out, nice people.

keep posting,
love brigid
Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=boothj9544]
I feel so empowered just to read the posts.
QUOTE]

Booth:

Glad to hear you are empowered by a couple of posts. If you want to read something truly inspirational, about people who have had a couple of drinks here and there, I strongly suggest Alcoholics Anonymous (otherwise known as The Big Book).

It is full of stories from those who have lost everything to those who caught their alcoholism in time before they went into the gutter. The trials and tribulations of these alcoholics are very powerful. Plus, it explains to the reader the program of AA and a little about alcoholism. A definite must read that you can pick up at an AA meeting or probably online.

Good Luck.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello,
Just thought I would check in with everyone. Things are going real good here. Been since Saturday since I last took a drink and I am starting to get that clear head feeling again. The world is kind of coming back to me and it is a good feeling. I feel like my old self. I hate the way that drinking puts your reality into a fog. It is not just when your drunk, it is like 2-3 days afterward that it effects me. I am pretty sure that hangovers and being dehydrated lead to more anxiety in my life than anything...

Anyway, Tonight my wife and I are going out to eat and then I head into work.

Hope this finds you all well. I am four days into my newly found sobriety and outlook on life and I feel strong and confident.

Take care
Old 11-16-2005, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

well done, great work! enjoy your clear head, watch out for the alcoholic thoughts.

love brigid
Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
Kinda having a rough day, nothing really to do with alcohol... But I think that might be a little part of my underlying tension. My wife came home from work in a horrible mood and I am way short on sleep. Needless to say we did not work to well together and ended up in a yelling match. I just grabbed my workout clothes and went to the gym. Ran off some of my frustration.

I dont understand her. I would think she would be as pleasant and supportive as she can be, I guess she is human to and has a bad day once in awhile. It just seems like an extra slap in the face when I am reaching out to her for support, like she could care less, although I know that is not how she feels.

As far as not drinking I am good. If I drank in the wake of a fight with my wife, it would be bad. I am coping in other ways now.

Hope this finds you all well.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Booth,

First congradulations. Stay strong. I know what you mean about other people and you wanting their support. But don't forget this is your problems not hers. Just because you are changing who you are doesn't mean she isn't allowed to be in a bad mood. She's been putting up with your moods from drinking for awhile I assume. I don't mean this to come across as bad as it is sounding, because I do completely understand where your coming from. Just try to remember to not let other people's moods affect yours too much. That will give your addiction permission to drink.
Maybe your wife is scared for you both. This is also going to be a huge change for her as well.
I think I'm too tired to explain myself what I mean.
Hang in there, and keep fighting. You're doing great..
Old 11-17-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

the gym is a great place to go to work off frustration. this is just part of dealing with the real world, you are doing great, you are understanding that it all doesn't revolve around you. It took me time before I realised that things were not aimed at me personally most of the time, I still battle with that, but knowing that I do it helps.

love brigid
Old 11-19-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone,
Doing a lot better today, and it has been a whole week of sobriety. I had a little rough spot, but got over it ok. I had a few of those "alcoholic" thoughts enter my mind. It was neat because I was able to realize them for what they were, that "other" person talking to me, and I was able to understand them and therefore, not give into them...

I had a sit down with my wife and we are on good terms again. Turns out she is going through an issue at work and I was able to help her out a little...

Besides being my first whole week of sobriety this week has been a killer at work and other stuff. Been putting in a crazy number of hours.

Anyway, hope everyone on the forum is doing good, have a safe sober weekend....
Thinking of you guys,
JOE
Old 11-19-2005, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by boothj9544
I had a sit down with my wife and we are on good terms again. Turns out she is going through an issue at work and I was able to help her out a little...
awesome! well done on not drinking!

love brigid
Old 11-21-2005, 09:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone...
Well it is monday, I dont feel good today at all... I think I have a pretty bad cold. I just feel so run down. My neck muscles are aching, my throat and nose are itchy and irritated with congestion, I keep having to clear my throat and blow my nose... I generally feel like I got hit by a bus... Remember, I am a man so I dont take sickness well ... I am a big baby
Anyway still sober, today is day 9, since last Saturday. This kind of stinks cause I am not drinking and I still feel like I have a bad hangover,
UGGGHHH...
Well, hope this finds you all better than me...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Coming out of my shell

You're doing excellent! A bad cold is a cake walk compared to a hangover (none of the "what the hell did I do/say" last night stuff). Take care of yourself, and keep on stayin' sober!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello,
Early, early Wednesday morning here. I am feeling a bit better and have got a lot of sleep lately. I was real short on sleep so I think that helped to get me sick. I still have all my symptoms but they are all not as strong, hopefully in a few days I will have beat this Cold for good. If this is the only time I get sick this Winter that would be great.

Anyways, other things in my life are going well. I have recently got all my good yard decorations inside and I gutted and reorganized the Garage. I think I may hang my Christmas lights today, But I am not allowed to turn them on till after Thanksgiving... my wifes rule. I am not sure if I will, I still dont feel real active.

I have been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting lately about my life, I guess recovery will do that to you. I wish I could go back and expierience a lot of my recent years with my wife sober... Well, no time like the present to start huh? I am only 26 years old, I have a lot of good Sober years in front of me... I dont think about years from now though. Just about this week...

I have been sober now for 11 days. I am still excited to make this change and am still doing well. I want to thank everyone for your comments and support...

Have a good safe, sober Turkey day, Make a memory you want to remember, I will write after the holidays...

Joe
Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by boothj9544
I have been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting lately about my life, I guess recovery will do that to you. I wish I could go back and expierience a lot of my recent years with my wife sober... Well, no time like the present to start huh? I am only 26 years old, I have a lot of good Sober years in front of me... I dont think about years from now though. Just about this week...

I have been sober now for 11 days. I am still excited to make this change and am still doing well. I want to thank everyone for your comments and support...
I try not to regret the past too much because there is a lot of the future and today counts more than yesterday or tomorrow. At 26 you have so much more in life to experience and look forward to.

For today you are sober, 11 days is great!!

love brigid