Notices

"excuse not to drink"

Old 11-11-2005, 02:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hol

"excuse not to drink"

Ive been on the drink most off my life. From my work to my sporting activities to socials with friends it has always involved drinking. Peaple will think strangely of me if I just stop drinking. What is the one believable, White lie..... what I can use to all that l know and will meet in the future so I may never have to be pick up a beer, and can grab a coke instead without any strange looks or negativity?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

arent you tired of lying?

Tell the truth....why do you care so much about what others think about if you drink or not?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

It's simple, the truth and requires no further explanation. " I don't drink anymore". works for me!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi hol,
Like the others. Tell the truth. I just say, "I've had enough! Don't drink any more!" Nuf said. If you choose to elaborate, that's your business but you don't "owe" anyone an explanation.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kelsey's Momma

I had similar thoughts to you, and still do on occassion when I'm in a setting w/people drinking. I used to think that they were going to "single" me out or give me a hard time if i wasn't drinking alcohol w/them. My experience has been that it's quite the opposite and they really don't give a care about what I am or am not drinking.

Like others have posted, just be honest and say you're not drinking.

j
Old 11-11-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might be suprised at the support you get.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi....I understand what you mean....my husband quit drinking aswell. (sober 2 yrs.) Recently we had a couple over for a bbQ and they brought beer and coolers.We handled it by saying no thanks.....oh you don't drink they replied , leaving us feeling like a couple of prudes...No.....it was an awkward moment..and we didn't want to go into a long speil as to why.....I mean thats no ones bussiness, Other times I've heard my husband say ( Ive retired from the drinking) that worked well, Or you know I have one hell of an alcer.....I mean we really don't owe anyone an explanation....just grab a coke and ice and carry on....laugh and mingle.....
Old 11-11-2005, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Cool Well....

When I drank...all my friends were also drinkers.

In AA sobriety..I have acquired new non drinking friends.

BTW...many of those bar room buddies died from untreated alcoholism in their 40's and 50's. I am soon 70!

No thanks.... Blessings
Old 11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't help you much here because I was pretty good on excuses to justify my drinking.

An excuse for morning drinking. " I've been up all night, so it's like 8 o'clock at night for me".

Drinking heavily on a golf course. " I play better when I'm loosened up a little. A few drinks takes off the edge".

I had one for every occasion. When and if you quit drinking, people will look strange at you at first if you flat out say "I'm an alcoholic". It may hurt you professionally if people know you are one. There is a stigma whether we like it or not about being alcoholics. People think we are unstable, weak, and can go into the gutter at a moments notice. It's kind of true though if you think about it IMO.

My advice is to just say I'm not drinking today and that's what you tell yourself every morning as well if you want to quit.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How about " Im having a bad reaction to alcohol".
Old 11-12-2005, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

No thanks.
Not today.
I'm choosing not to drink today.

By the way, if you want to stay sober - I'd suggest that you find non-drinking friends and activities for a while until you get some sober time...
Eventually if you go to the barber shop, you're going to get a hair cut....

Jen
Old 11-12-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with what the others have said, what I tell my friends and acquaintences is just: "Naw thanks, I'll just have a diet coke." And its cool and no one has said a thing or looked askance and even if they did screw 'em. Id much rather have them wonder why I'm not drinking, than have them pity me for being a souse.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
hol

Thanks for for all your help on that. Have just got back into Kiteboarding as its coming into our summer. Am going with "Im trying to get fit again for kiteboarding" may sound lame but this will work for me, which is kinda true. My fitness is all of it, if I dont stop, my life will be shortened and...... I know this. Thanks again.:sh
Old 11-12-2005, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

sounds good! I was thinking about saying I was allergic the other day, truthful too. Getting fit is good, plus you might motivate someone else.

Well done
brigid
Old 11-12-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome hol
If you feel like using a little humor, a good reply is...
'No thanks, I just got this new liver'.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
hol

Thanks so much,

brigid