Notices

Antabuse side effects

Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse side effects

Here's a real stupid question: has anyone found a way to get rid of the horrible garlic/glue/paste taste and smell that comes from taking Antabuse? Though I'm not certain, I got a feeling I'm walking around everyday reeking like a clove of garlic despite brushing/mints/gum etc. I got the feeling it's leaking from my pores just like alcohol. Can't mask it with any cologne either 'cause that stuff all has alcohol in it.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

stop taking the antabuse
GO TO AA
Old 11-09-2005, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does that really happen?. i'm gonna start taking some but its a new one.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Antabuse can be very helpful. I think that if it is helping you stay sober - continue. I remember when my dad had his first heart attack (11 years ago) he took garlic to assist with his cholesterol... He stunk; but he was doing something good for himself.

Probably smells better to have garlic coming out of your pores rather than booze!!!

Oh, and give AA an honest effort too.
Jen
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fraankie haven't heard from you in awhile - I still haven't been able to get to a meeting. But i used to attend years ago, i guess i wasn't going about it the right way - because i was drinking right after class.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

don't drink after class
go to AA

LOL
best
fraankie
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I realise there's a lot of mixed feelings about antabuse, but in my case it's helped me "put the brakes on" a few times. I was on it for about eight months and never had the garlic thing. Have you considered asking someone if you smell like you think you might be?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was sober for sixteen years starting in 1989. I relapsed 3 times this year (relapsed or got drunk -- it's just a matter of semantics). I've also never stopped going to AA since 1989, nor during my relapses. So I think taking Antabuse is an acceptable way to help in my new quest for sobriety. Two people, including my girlfriend, have told me that I smell like garlic...nearly 24 hours after taking it! A garlic taste and/or metalic taste is a common side effect of Antabuse that's s'posed to go away after a couple weeks. Guess it's just the way it reacts with my chemistry.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

isn't antabuse a tablet?
DON'T YOU JUST SWALLOW IT/
why is there a TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH?

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH IT
BUT
WILL COATING IT WITH SUGAR, ETC, HELP?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take mine in capule form. The pharmacy I go to mixes it up themselves.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Interesting. Never heard of it in capsule form. But I don't think it would make any difference.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Actually mine is labeled as disulfiram. Antabuse seems to be the brand name. Maybe that's why.

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-a02.html
Old 11-09-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Disulfiram is the medical term for antabuse. It does cause a garlic or metallic taste in the mouth and also tiredness. The side effects are suppossed to go after two weeks but I took it for four and felt like crap so I stopped. The taste in your mouth is a chemical reaction Music.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ok
if it works
it works
probably a good deterrent

i did hear violent side effects
if you drink
so
be cautious

best
fraankie
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fraankie
ok
if it works
it works
probably a good deterrent

i did hear violent side effects
if you drink
so
be cautious

best
fraankie
If you take this, only do so 72 hours after your last drink. If you stop taking it, do not drink for 72 hours. The reaction is violent and in the worst cases, fatal.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

I came and checked out this thread after Rommel's post, so my response is at least partially to him.

I discussed Anabuse with my doctor. It was my husband's 'Golden Pill' so to speak and I finally asked him if he was going to tie me down and force me to take it every morning.

Doc said Anabuse probably wasn't for me. Most people have their most resolve in the morning. They're hungover, they feel like crap, or whatever, and they're most willing to take the pill with all the resolve to quit drinking in the world, then be stuck with the rammifications of it. For me? I'd be more likely to take a drink in the morning than a pill. I think if you have the resolve to take Anabuse, you have the resolve to go to AA or even try an outpatient recover program/group. If you want to take a handful of pills in the morning (a kind of placebo effect) take vitamins and other supplements you need. I love taking pills in the morning. However, they're a multi-vitamin, a B Complex, Calcium, and whatever else strikes me --usually Omega-3. You don't want to overdo those either.

Kelly
Old 11-12-2005, 12:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quietmindrecovery.org

I posted the following in another thread, but I thought I'd put it here as well; since I thought my .02 cents worth might be worth...well .02 cents:

I used Antabuse back in my drinking days, and found the knowledge that I'd be very sick didn't prevent me from drinking; any more than the knowledge that I'd loose my family and job kept me from drinking. Alcoholics are not particularly concerned about consequences.

Generally, you will find that I promote a drug free (legal drugs included) path of recovery. Alcoholism is a symptom of deeper issues that need to be resolved if you are to experience a happy recovery. My website deals with my approach on that subject.

Having said that, I realize that sometimes we may want to temporarily employ pharmaceutical means that might assist our quitting. You could consider asking your doctor (or doing your own research) about Naltrexone for alcoholism treatment. Here is a link: http://ncadi.samhsa.gov/govpubs/BKD268/28c.aspx

Again, I don’t favor these drug approaches to the treatment of alchololism. I’m only mentioning Naltrexone for your consideration as a possible alternative to Antabuse.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

everyone's internal chemical state is different, depending on blood type, diet, drugs etc. Maybe yours is reacting in a certain way. I hate the thought of drugs altogether. Can you combat your occasional drinking episodes some other way, rework steps, make lists? How have you done it before? I find I forget things that I used to know over time and somethings I have to rework. You have heaps of experience there. Can you draw on it rather than on a quick fix, are you just being lazy here, or putting your faith in a drug rather than however you did it before.

cheers, brigid
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have been taking generic Antabuse and find that i smell like broccoli,cabbage....i can't get over it....guess it's the sulphur in it....I stopped taking it....slowly the bad odor is fading.....
Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you again KT

D